Man who sued BA for sitting next to ‘obese passenger’ on Bangkok flight loses court battle

webfact

Need To Know:

Man who sued BA for sitting next to ‘obese passenger’ loses court battle

by Metro Reporter

A PASSENGER has lost his battle to sue for £10,000 because of a ‘nightmare’ 12-hour flight next to a 23-stone passenger.

Stephen Prosser, 51, claimed he suffered personal injury and loss of earnings after being made to sit next to the large passenger during a 12-hour flight from Bangkok to Heathrow.

But his civil claim against the airline at Pontypridd County Court was dismissed by district judge Andrew Barcello, who said Mr Prosser had ‘exaggerated’ the description of the other passenger.

Full story: https://www.metro.news/need-to-know-man-who-sued-ba-for-sitting-next-to-obese-passenger-loses-court-battle/1327530/

-- METRO 2018-11-30

11 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Poor decision.. While over-sized passenger and the 5'3" complainant were paying the same fare, the smaller man was receiving less than fair(fare) value. Obviously so, if the 320lb. man is encroaching on the seat space paid for by Mr Prosser.

The main fault is the failure of the airline, for accepting such a large passenger at the same fare level.

Agreed!!

A couple of points worth mentioning here. Firstly; the fat man was sitting on an outside seat and not in the centre. This would make the aircraft more difficult to control. Secondly; the fat man was actually sitting outside his bought space.

Slim traveler was/is entitled to a full refund or a free ticket to somewhere.  These air services need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Poor decision.. While over-sized passenger and the 5'3" complainant were paying the same fare, the smaller man was receiving less than fair(fare) value. Obviously so, if the 320lb. man is encroaching on the seat space paid for by Mr Prosser.

The main fault is the failure of the airline, for accepting such a large passenger at the same fare level.

That stuff may come in the future, scales at check-in perhaps..Asked weight on booking...????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I think most of us have had a bad flight at some point, but most of us just accept it and move on. I complained once when living in India about a series of disasters caused by Air India incompetence, which they agreed was unacceptable and gave me four free first class tickets. This fella might have had a better outcome had he tried discussing it with Customer services. Going to court with such a poor case was unwise and the court obviously agrees.

Four First Class tickets could have a lot of value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

If one fly's cattle one must accept the risks. If one is concerned about what may happen in cattle then one should book business class..????

PS. I was sat next to a fat bloke once, he couldn't even eat without his elbow under my chin. Plus me trying to eat was a waste of time....????

So you gave him your meal as well?

????

If one fly's cattle one must accept the risks. If one is concerned about what may happen in cattle then one should book business class..

Business class is no guarantee.  Often there are bawling kids.  And once I was sat next to a Chinese gentleman with the most appalling of personal habits.  I spent much of the trip feeling nauseous, and not from air sickness.

Best to travel first to avoid the hoi polloi.

If one fly's cattle one must accept the risks. If one is concerned about what may happen in cattle then one should book business class..????

PS. I was sat next to a fat bloke once, he couldn't even eat without his elbow under my chin. Plus me trying to eat was a waste of time....????

Maybe you should have sang to him Trans, that would soon have shifted him.????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, transam said:

That stuff may come in the future, scales at check-in perhaps..Asked weight on booking.

If you check into the history of airline travel, in the early days (go back to the 30's and 40's, before the advent of everybody being able to use such services, passengers were weighed at check-in so they could be assigned seats for what is known as weight and balance of the aircraft.  Thus, there were no problems from obese passengers.  Remember that in those days a truly obese person was an oddity.  A couple of years ago, Japan Airlines required passengers to use the toilet before check-in in order to allow them to slightly increase the fuel load.  That idea did not fly too well with the passengers, either.

'nuf sed

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Changes to UK defamation regs published today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/controlling-the-costs-of-defamation-cases 

Mods: happy for this to be moved if there's a better place for it.

From the article "The Government will therefore now commence section 44".

"Section 44" seems very familiar.  Can't quite remember where I've heard it invoked recently.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A PASSENGER has lost his battle to sue for £10,000 because of a ‘nightmare’ 12-hour flight next to a 23-stone passenger.

Twenty-three stones?  When was this, in the early Ottoman Empire?  I hope he's suing for two hundred hog's heads and five oxcarts of the viceroy's finest horse dung.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Always book an isle seat, that's where the real fatties sit, as they can't get in and out of the centre seats or window seats. Therefore, if you have the isle seat, in theory you shouldn't have to suffer being sat next to a FF.

Tall people sit there too, be they fat or otherwise. I for one like being able to walk around or go to the loo when I feel like it during the flight & when it comes to the free-for-all rugby scrum upon landing I deliberately stand and place a hand on each seat (deliberately blocking the aisle) until everyone in front has left the plane in an orderly fashion (not possible if the scrum isn't contained!) and taken their baggage with them.

Tall pax also come in handy when short-arrses like the failed litigant in the OP struggle to hoist their hand luggage into the overhead stowage bins....or successfully retrieve it during the scrum ????

Just my 2p 

Edited by evadgib

8 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Twenty-three stones?  When was this, in the early Ottoman Empire?  I hope he's suing for two hundred hog's heads and five oxcarts of the viceroy's finest horse dung.

The term is entirely acceptable to a domestic British audience in the 21st century despite kilos being widely adopted decades ago. 

• Like 1