4 killed in Honda vs big rig crash

Rimmer

4 killed in Honda vs big rig crash

image.png

SATTAHIP:--Four people died when their Honda compact barreled into the back of a 10-wheeled truck making a U-turn on the Sattahip border.

Thongpetch Pekonsan, 53, Jamrat Phobat, 51, Jaratsang Wichachai, 45, and the unidentified driver of the Bangkok-registered Honda Civic were killed instantly when they slammed at full speed into the back of the Rayong-registered truck hauling potato flour near Sukhumvit Soi 5 in the Ban Tungkard Community.

Truck driver Prayad Kurasee, 60, said he was stopped to make a U-turn when the powerful collision happened.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-11-30

19 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

High speed again 

To the Thai people 

Try driving slow and come safely home better than die 

You simply driving as morons 

Everything is about how fast can I drive 

Not only you kill yourself but you also killing Thailands reputation 

You are a very dangerous country on the roads 

Wake up and change please 

Every Thai male knows that driving slowly is not "manly" - better dead than slow!

Recently I drove on Bangna Trad. There are lots of U-turns for the trucks. And all of them have several big warning signs hundreds of meters before those U-turns.

Smart people see these signs and react accordingly. Don't drive too fast and stay alert.

Stupid people don't care - and die.

I guess that's Darwin at work.

• Like 2

I feel for the Truck driver. He comes to a proper "U" turn, stops until he has the right to turn, has turn signal on and possibly intoxicated driver speeding and not paying much attention, if any, to speed and stopped truck.

Such is the cost of driving under the influence,

On 11/30/2018 at 1:56 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

High speed again 

To the Thai people 

Natural selection only the fit and clever one survive RIP

Lunatics for driving too fast they may have been but knowing some of the dark roads in the Sattahip area I suspect that a 10 wheel truck sideways on part way through a u-turn may well have been all but invisible.  No lights on the sides and taking an eternity to make the turn.

- Dark Road (unlit, poor visibility

- Late at night (sleepy driver?)

- Speed (outdriving the headlights)

- Big stationary object in the road

- Poorly lit truck ??

The perfect recipe for a tragic accident...  and the primary reason I refuse to drive or travel anywhere at night outside of a city or town anywhere in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, DieterWiehe said:
On 11/30/2018 at 1:56 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

High speed again 

To the Thai people 

Natural selection only the fit and clever one survive RIP

So you mean no innocent people get killed in traffic 

are you joking ???

Speed kills but Pattaya Plod concentrate their efforts on holding motorists to ransom rather than pulling in any speedsters.

My recent experience is they are catching people making infringements and duly fining them. A quick check of my documents and I am simply waved on. 

• Like 1

My recent experience is they are catching people making infringements and duly fining them. A quick check of my documents and I am simply waved on. 

These infringements are merely about bits of paper - licences/insurance.  Deaths are caused by speeding drivers who endanger all other road users.  The police are doing nothing about these.  Only pro-active motorbikes patrols will pull these in & then only if Plod can be bothered.

These infringements are merely about bits of paper - licences/insurance.  Deaths are caused by speeding drivers who endanger all other road users.  The police are doing nothing about these.  Only pro-active motorbikes patrols will pull these in & then only if Plod can be bothered.

I agree. I desperately would like to see those running red lights pulled over soon after to be duly fined. But no, I will be waved down by document checkers at the junction or under the flyover.  

Have been driving big bikes accident frerall my life. Also during 20 years here in ???????? and sold all my bikes a few years back, Just couldn't see any point trying to avoid accidents nonstop. Traffic is out of control. People drive like crazy. Agressive, no respect for human life, not even the slightest concern for their own kids. Sukhumvit Pattaya stretch is a total nightmare with speeding out of control cars and bikes. Even worse during school closing times and on Fridays or when rain clouds form. Watch these old tourists trying to cross Bouakao or Second Rd.

Not even obviously handicapped people get a break. If I stop to let anybody cross, some moron speeds up and runs over the poor old guy I waved across.

An old friend once told me: Watch people's driving and traffic behavior in a country and you will have a good impression of that country's culture overall. It will not change as education starts at home.... MS>

On 12/3/2018 at 8:20 AM, TumblinDice said:

Me thinks its time to do away with these ridiculously unsafe Thai U-Turns. But that's just me thinking.

The 2 main reasons for all the U-turns are

1. No differentiation of major highways and urban or commercial areas.

Drive along any major road in Thailand and there are businesses along it. These are often businesses which require a lot of space and whose customers who arrive by car. One after another these businesses line the route, many with no parking. In between all these businesses are many small side streets, perhaps every 100 yards.

The only way to get to these businesses and side streets is by U-turns currently.

Compare this with the UK (my country) where such businesses would be removed from major routes, as would entries to small residential side streets. This is a planning issue and the Thai way is chaotic and related to traffic accidents.

2. Lack of roundabouts and inability to use them.

Thailand does have roundabouts but not many.

Where they are present, one would only have to stand and observe for 5 minutes, to see 50 drivers using them incorrectly. Many drivers would have no idea of the rules, some know the rules but choose not to follow them because they would be rear-ended or because nobody else follows them. Some have been taught the rules but simply are unable to grasp them. Occasionally some bright spark chooses to ride the wrong way around the roundabout.

This is a combination of a traffic management issue, a driver training issue and a cultural issue.

Until these 2 factors are addressed, we are stuck with U-turns throughout Thailand's fast-moving road network.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

- Dark Road (unlit, poor visibility

- Late at night (sleepy driver?)

- Speed (outdriving the headlights)

- Big stationary object in the road

- Poorly lit truck ??

The perfect recipe for a tragic accident...  and the primary reason I refuse to drive or travel anywhere at night outside of a city or town anywhere in Thailand. 

Even after all that.....all the car driver had to do was stay in the left lane and they would have gone past the truck. 

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

2. Lack of roundabouts and inability to use them.

Thailand does have roundabouts but not many.

Where they are present, one would only have to stand and observe for 5 minutes, to see 50 drivers using them incorrectly. Many drivers would have no idea of the rules, some know the rules but choose not to follow them because they would be rear-ended or because nobody else follows them. Some have been taught the rules but simply are unable to grasp them. Occasionally some bright spark chooses to ride the wrong way around the roundabout.

I was flabbergasted just this week. I followed a car around a roundabout that was actually in the correct lane and used their signals correctly. I can count on one hand the number of cars I have seen do that in 10 years. I rarely see a car give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Thais have absolutely no idea how to use them....and that has a lot to do with their training - no on-road testing here. I'm actually surprised the death rate is not in the 100's of thousands, rather than 10's of thousands, per year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kim J said:

Those that continually drive recklessly and without consideration for others need to be banned from the roads,

But they need to be caught first.  The Thai police obsession with roadside stick-ups does nothing to catch the speedsters other than to make them attempt to make up for time lost during the hold-up.