The Indians are coming! Expect ten million in ten years say ATTA

rooster59

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I do agree with this observation, the Indians I met and worked with in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore were nice to a tee. The odd smelly taxi driver and don't wander through the parks in Bangalore near sunrise or you'll see the rickshaw drivers taking a dump (and don't even mention the local version of ladyboys - a bloke in a saree, 6-o'clock shadow, the lot) but mostly good people.

BUT

Indian tourists are a whole different kettle of curry. The ones (tour groups) I had the misfortune to share a hotel in Singapore with were infinitely worse than the Chinese when it came to buffet etiquette. Paying for the "club" membership (private dinning room) was definitely required.

I also lived in India for 3 years. Like all societies, it's a mixed bunch. Only the Indian class system is still very much in existence, has many layers, and generally observed by Indians.

As for tourists, it's often the same. The Brits, Germans and Dutch who used to frequent the Spanish holiday hot-spots in the 70's weren't the best representatives of their nations, IME. Indian tourists, gangs of men or families don't enjoy a much better one today. Often find then a little arrogant, ill mannered, always trying to negotiate "special prices" for whatever and can be aggressive. They seem to have an attitude of "we've paid for that so we'll use it, eat it or trash it". People are said, and often do, behave very differently on holiday.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the real quality tourists, TAT has been looking for ????.

at my daughters hotel they are turning up with pots and pans,

even a Microwave, and are not very pleased when been told you

cannot cook in the rooms !

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, BestB said:

I suggest for the head of ATTA to get on Facebook and find a page dedicated to locals having experience with Indians. Yet to read a positive or at least a neutral.

I have had negative, neutral, and positive encounters with Indian tourists and residents here. Similar to my experiences with Indian people back in the USA. They are people. 

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The ones I see in Pattaya are exclusively male in groups.  I surmise they are here for the ladies.  It's puzzling though as when I visited Mumbai, sex was far cheaper than here; so I heard.

There are many, many Indian families here, including many that are dressed as if they are quite wealthy. It is true on a ratio basis the Russians are bringing more families than the Indians, but I can tell you with full confidence your impression is 100 percent incorrect about the lack of Indians with families. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. I lived in India for three years and the welcome was the best I have had in any of the places I have worked. I play badminton with a group of them here, and they are far more decent on the whole than my English mates. There are losers and cheap charlies from every nation. Thais especially are derogatory in their reporting of any foreigner behaving poorly. I would far rather have a bunch of Indians in town than the same number of Chinese.

But you are confusing the experiences, As friends oppose to as customers.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I have had negative, neutral, and positive encounters with Indian tourists and residents here. Similar to my experiences with Indian people back in the USA. They are people. 

Again, as mentioned before, your encounters are not them being your customers. 

4 hours ago, Seismic said:

I have a large number of Indian friends, several of them have holidayed in Thailand and without exception they have a negative image of Thai's due to the racism and xenophobia they experienced. Perhaps instead the Head of ATTA should address that problem first.

Have you ever considered that their behavior as a friend could be different to when they are a customer somewhere? When they argue over every 1 baht or take up entire table in the restaurant to share 1 plate of rice? 

53 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The ones I see in Pattaya are exclusively male in groups.  I surmise they are here for the ladies.  It's puzzling though as when I visited Mumbai, sex was far cheaper than here; so I heard.

Singular I think, Indians are famous for renting one lady of the night and half of Calcutta taking turns. Much like they do with their drinks.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. I lived in India for three years and the welcome was the best I have had in any of the places I have worked. I play badminton with a group of them here, and they are far more decent on the whole than my English mates. There are losers and cheap charlies from every nation. Thais especially are derogatory in their reporting of any foreigner behaving poorly. I would far rather have a bunch of Indians in town than the same number of Chinese.

I worked in India developing engineers. Really nice people in their own country. But they obviously go through some sort of transformation when they go outside their own. We had them in the UK and were the most pig ignorant people that I have ever met and they had no sense of tidying the flat that we rented them. 

I've also seen them preying on girls in Thailand in groups coz they have no "balls" to do the deed on their own. God help pattaya 

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Oh dear, better fence off the green spaces and forest areas as well as erect signs pointing to public toilets.

India is following China in becoming another economic powerhouse and that will inevitably mean an increase in the amount of Indian tourists.  And also like China the tourists will be from a variety of backgrounds, from the down market group tours to the well educated and polite family tourists. 

2 minutes ago, dougiemac57 said:

I worked in India developing engineers. Really nice people in their own country. But they obviously go through some sort of transformation when they go outside their own. We had them in the UK and were the most pig ignorant people that I have ever met and they had no sense of tidying the flat that we rented them. 

I've also seen them preying on girls in Thailand in groups coz they have no "balls" to do the deed on their own. God help pattaya 

Nothing to do with transformation or being in their own country. Difference is when you were there you knew them on different level and had different level of dealings with them. Once they came to UK and became your customers you got to see side of them which you did not see before. because of your limited level of interactions.

6 minutes ago, dougiemac57 said:

Do you really think the ladies of Pattaya can't handle Indians?  Or that they all have not had many experiences with Indian men already? 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you really think the ladies of Pattaya can't handle Indians?  Or that they all have not had many experiences with Indian men already? 

Unless you are a lady of Pattaya or living with one, i cannot in my wildest imagination see how you would know what ladies of Pattaya can or can not handle or who they had or had not had

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I have seen more than one "pattaya lady" reduced to buckets of tears by these animals.

I have just been away to Thailand's beaches for a couple of weeks. The increase in Indian tourists is difficult to miss. In a hotel in Pattaya we were unlucky to have two rooms occupied by a rather large number of young Indian men close to our room. They made a right din until the early hours and then again in the morning, talking loudly in the corridor and trotting between the rooms in their underwear or towels. I didn't complain as given the size of the group it was difficult to complain. 

In another hotel I heard one of the guests when I was checking out complaining about a similar group making a racket and insisting that the hotel do something about it. The manager was desperately trying to do nothing.

As for Thai racism against Indians, I suspect it is real. A couple of years ago I went to Pattaya with 3 Indian men for a long weekend. They could not get any girls interested in them because of the reputation of Indian men. Girls simply would just not get involved with them for any price. My mate kept telling them he was not Indian, but was an Essex boy born and bred...but it cut no ice with the bar girls. There is a rumour going round that an Indian tricked a girl into going to his rooms where a group of men then gang raped her, then refused even to pay her. Whether it actually happened or is an urban myth I cannot say but my friends did have difficulties.

5 minutes ago, bdenner said:

This post is going to create criticism!

I have seen first hand what the Indians (who started off as tourists) had/have done to the beautiful nation of Fiji whilst working there during both Lieutenant Colonel Sitiveni Rabuka's 1987 military coups. (More power to he and his men) They (the Indians) raped, pillaged and overpopulated that icon to a point where the islanders had no life left. The Indians did not have the balls to confront these angry, under equipped and supplied "fuzzy wuzzies". (I use the term with great admiration and was glad to help em in a small way with transportation in my hire car)

Anyway I digress:-

You want that to happen here?

Indisputably Indian men are involved in a lot of gang rapes in India and are rarely punished. These cases have been well publicised in the world's media. 

But one should not tar every Indian with the same brush.

I also have a couple of Indian friends, but there's a huge difference to the low end tourists Thailand will attract. They spent years in the US and got domesticated. Wonderful chaps. The tourists will be the equivalent of the current Chinese peasants.

5 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have just been away to Thailand's beaches for a couple of weeks. The increase in Indian tourists is difficult to miss. In a hotel in Pattaya we were unlucky to have two rooms occupied by a rather large number of young Indian men close to our room. They made a right din until the early hours and then again in the morning, talking loudly in the corridor and trotting between the rooms in their underwear or towels. I didn't complain as given the size of the group it was difficult to complain. 

In another hotel I heard one of the guests when I was checking out complaining about a similar group making a racket and insisting that the hotel do something about it. The manager was desperately trying to do nothing.

As for Thai racism against Indians, I suspect it is real. A couple of years ago I went to Pattaya with 3 Indian men for a long weekend. They could not get any girls interested in them because of the reputation of Indian men. Girls simply would just not get involved with them for any price. My mate kept telling them he was not Indian, but was an Essex boy born and bred...but it cut no ice with the bar girls. There is a rumour going round that an Indian tricked a girl into going to his rooms where a group of men then gang raped her, then refused even to pay her. Whether it actually happened or is an urban myth I cannot say but my friends did have difficulties.

That is not a rumor, being in hotel business i can confirm it happens more than often and more than often girls have no idea.

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

Unless you are a lady of Pattaya or living with one, i cannot in my wildest imagination see how you would know what ladies of Pattaya can or can not handle or who they had or had not had

Not just one but hundreds.  I been here a long time.  I had a friend who owned a little hotel named Lemoncake (or something like that) he knew a lot more than I but we sure had some good times together learning about the genre. I've been told in the event of a nuclear attack the only thing that would be left is the ladies on soi 6 and cockroaches. 

Where do some Thai officials get their "pie in the sky" crystal ball predictions from?? 

Indian tourism to grow from 1.5 million in 2018 to 10 million by 2028.. Wow, that's huge.. And that Chinese growth will continue to slow and only 20 million by 2028..

Are these rubbery predictions based on Thailand still being run by a junta military govt or under a new democratic govt?? 

Most Thai official figures on anything are usually fudged, and most predictions are usually BS after BS.. 

Archived