The Indians are coming! Expect ten million in ten years say ATTA

rooster59

12 hours ago, Hal65 said:

It'll be a good thing if Indian group negotiations become the new norm. Suddenly 1,000 baht for a shag that doesn't involve anal, video, and other guys nearby seems strong again 

Yesterday in Paragon the indian in front of me had to pay 5000 baht for shoes...he got a free bottle of water from the cashiers but started negotiating for more bottles....his wife walked away and he kept trying untill he got 2 bottles...

They can bargain much longer than the Thai and will never give up....

And in Central World, Paragon and Chidlom i counted 10 farangs all together in the whole day.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Indians cant seem to behave in baht buses. I had two incidents in the last few months, after no incidents of any kind in 20 years.

This fat middle aged Indian was sitting next to my wife. He kept talking to his friend and brushing my wife's arm and shoulder constantly. I finally asked him not to touch her, and he said, "I thought she was a little boy." I almost smacked his face.

Second time, a few weeks apart, this nerd got on the bus, already arguing with some freelancer about something, and elbowed me in the glasses. I shouted at him, and asked if he was retarded. He said he was not. I asked him what his problem was, and he said he was sorry, and it was a mistake...which it was. But how the f#€I do you elbow someone in the face on a bath bus.

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you dated many women from Mumbai?

I went there with my then wife.  We hired a guide to tour Mumbai.  He took us to the red light district where the girls 'worked' in coffins, piled three or four high, with curtains on the end to show occupancy.

I'll take Indian tourists over the Chinese any day of the week.  The Chinese in my condo complex are completely thick.  You can always tell when they've used our elevator after a swim because puddles of their dirty feet line the corridors.  It's like they've never heard of bringing a towel to the pool or drying off.  Their expectorating and horking in public is disgusting, too.  However, the Indians here are pretty calm.  The women slowly float around in their colorful garb not bothering anyone.  Their stores sell beer between the ridiculous 2-5pm ban on alcohol sales, and who doesn't like a fresh pressed shirt from one of their laundries?  Any group in large numbers is bound to offend a little, but the Chinese have that special talent of ruining a place when they squat.  

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is  problem with toilets in India that is being addressed as a major health and social issue.

I don't think we have to worry about that in Thailand. 

Plenty of toilets here.

Problem being that research by their own government when looking at building more toilets showed that over 90% of those surveyed PREFERRED crapping in the fields/forests/elsewhere...…….not a good look for the "toilet builders" or other countries come to that!!

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

And in Central World, Paragon and Chidlom i counted 10 farangs all together in the whole day.

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago and I counted about 18 europeans at Siam paragon on a saturday after spending over 3 hours there. 9 years ago there would have been thousands coming off the trains and throbbing into the mall.

And yet in this thread, it looks like ATTA is sort of rejoicing over the sounds of 10 million tourist from INDIA, of whom most plan to spend nothing besides their flight ticket and their visa fees.

Whilst they are looking for new tourists numbers from INDIA and Ethiopia, they have restricted the visits per year for tourists from high income countries to two trips per year, made the visa requirements for those under 50 to stay here almost impossible to meet, closed ED visas and are now finally removing the retirees.

None of these policies make any common sense. The policy makers are making policy decisions straight from the playbook of "how to burn your house".

Where is the outrage? for all of you who claim to love this country - where is the outrage, thais or non-thais, where is the outrage in the streets???

14 hours ago, Jen65 said:

ten million Indians !! aaaah !! Time to call in the Cavalry !!  Let me get my properties on the market quick - Vietnam sounding like a good option !

Vietnam expecting 1,70,000 visitors from India

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/vietnam-expecting-170000-visitors-from-india/articleshow/64898954.cms

On 12/1/2018 at 10:30 AM, Crossy said:

I do agree with this observation, the Indians I met and worked with in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore were nice to a tee. The odd smelly taxi driver and don't wander through the parks in Bangalore near sunrise or you'll see the rickshaw drivers taking a dump (and don't even mention the local version of ladyboys - a bloke in a saree, 6-o'clock shadow, the lot) but mostly good people.

BUT

Indian tourists are a whole different kettle of curry. The ones (tour groups) I had the misfortune to share a hotel in Singapore with were infinitely worse than the Chinese when it came to buffet etiquette. Paying for the "club" membership (private dinning room) was definitely required.

Agree with the comment after BUT.... unfortunately many people here make comments about different races/nationalities and make comparison using their experiences living abroad, I have been living around Asia for the past 18 years, different countries, etc., people whom I met at their country of origin and living there are completely different from the people from same country of origin when traveling and I don't know if the people I met at their country had the opportunity to travel maybe would have same behavior as the ones we see or saw around when traveling, unfortunately, there is a tendency, when traveling, people live their good manners back at their place of origin, but don't want nor do I intend to antagonize anybody nor generalize

Staggering 1.3 BILLION Indians. Self sufficient, super power, IT geniuses, crammed into a small space, excellent philosophy and gave the world major religions , Buddhism being one, I think “ farangs” who bicker , are worried about being shown up. 

My last few visits to 5 star hotels revealed more Indians than farangs , mostly found in cheap guest houses. 

33 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Staggering 1.3 BILLION Indians. Self sufficient, super power, IT geniuses, crammed into a small space, excellent philosophy and gave the world major religions , Buddhism being one, I think “ farangs” who bicker , are worried about being shown up. 

My last few visits to 5 star hotels revealed more Indians than farangs , mostly found in cheap guest houses. 

And some of the Indian women are stunners.

At least we can speak english with the Indians....not with the chinese from the tourgroups.

Also the Indians have some nice food (not all) which i would buy sometimes (i like to eat various food)....

Also the Indians bargain soo much the Thai must get really tired from that and hopefully will start using published fixed price and competing eachother.

So all in all i think it's better than the loads of Chinese only.

21 minutes ago, fruitman said:

At least we can speak english with the Indians....not with the chinese from the tourgroups.

Also the Indians have some nice food (not all) which i would buy sometimes (i like to eat various food)....

Also the Indians bargain soo much the Thai must get really tired from that and hopefully will start using published fixed price and competing eachother.

So all in all i think it's better than the loads of Chinese only.

They try to bargain in 7-11, can not get much worse than that????

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I always find expired products in our 711, i bring them to the cashiers and show the date to them....ohh mai pen lai is their usual response...who wants expired eggs or yoghurt?? 

I rarely go there though, better drive to CP...

Mate,  just don't go shopping at 7/11, its just nonsense to do it.

apart from an emergency Large Chang or 5,  when needed :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, garyk said:

Good, I love Indian food, can't wait.

With so many chinese in thailand i don't understand why i never saw chinese streetfood or restaurants...(i only know one very expensive one).

Also on pattaya beachroad i've never seen chinese/indian streetfood, also not in the bkk malls.

Indian curry can be nice. or tandoori chicken...or naan with dippingsauce...or chapati..or bombay potatoballs...

India has real chefs who know very well what they're doing...only the hygiene can be an issue.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

With so many chinese in thailand i don't understand why i never saw chinese streetfood or restaurants...(i only know one very expensive one).

Also on pattaya beachroad i've never seen chinese/indian streetfood, also not in the bkk malls.

Indian curry can be nice. or tandoori chicken...or naan with dippingsauce...or chapati..or bombay potatoballs...

India has real chefs who know very well what they're doing...only the hygiene can be an issue.

I hear ya, spot on. I don't get it either? 

On a side note, I traveled in Malaysia for about a year, and the Indian restaurants were everywhere. Great food. 

I made a special trip to Penang, and stayed for a few months just because of the food. Unreal is an understatement.

Regards

3 minutes ago, garyk said:

I made a special trip to Penang, and stayed for a few months just because of the food. Unreal is an understatement.

Last year we did a visarun holiday to Penang...i read about those indian restaurants so we went there...first one had a queue from 300 people, serious! We spent 10 minutes in the queue and hadn't moved so we went to the next one.

Same story there, a queue of 100 customers waiting. After 10 minutes we gave up.

With such long queue's i would expect them to open more branches...

So we ate foodcourt nasi lemak and so...not bad but rendang is better...rendang in singapore is why i go there plus for visastamps and shopping.

Another thing i really miss in thailand (and i don't care who makes it Thai/Indo/Malay/Chinese/Indian) is satay on the street..but nice ones with good meat and peanutsauce.

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Last year we did a visarun holiday to Penang...i read about those indian restaurants so we went there...first one had a queue from 300 people, serious! We spent 10 minutes in the queue and hadn't moved so we went to the next one.

Same story there, a queue of 100 customers waiting. After 10 minutes we gave up.

With such long queue's i would expect them to open more branches...

So we ate foodcourt nasi lemak and so...not bad but rendang is better...rendang in singapore is why i go there plus for visastamps and shopping.

Another thing i really miss in thailand (and i don't care who makes it Thai/Indo/Malay/Chinese/Indian) is satay on the street..but nice ones with good meat and peanutsauce.

Yea, there are some famous restaurants in Penang, Georgetown. Places in the old section that I would never think of being famous, but the food is out of this world. I have had to wait on tables but never see that many in line!

I will try and find the name of one of the old town restaurants there, and send you a private message.

All these years in and out of this place and never been to Singapore.

I am constantly on a diet when in Malaysia... haha

Regards.

Archived