Kasikorn bank, sim-card of other countries allowed?

5 minutes ago, chado said:

Does Kasikorn allow using non-Thai sim-cards for internet banking -- receiving OTP?

No.

Only Thai mobile number accepted.

I would be more than surprised if someone can correct me on that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Krungsri allows overseas numbers. This is what they asked me when I opened up one with them if I want to use a Thai or overseas number.

Did you open your account as a tourist? With a large min deposit?

They offered me an account where I'd have to keep at least $500, if my memory serves me well, as a min deposit. Otherwise there would be fees each month.

Edited by chado

2 hours ago, chado said:

Does Kasikorn allow using non-Thai sim-cards for internet banking -- receiving OTP?

I dont know about K-Bank but Krungsri definitely allow foreign phone numbers. A friend opened an account with them recently using a Spanish SIM and he gets all his OTP SMS messages without any trouble.

13 hours ago, chado said:

They offered me an account where I'd have to keep at least $500, if my memory serves me well, as a min deposit. Otherwise there would be fees each month.

Yep, a week ago on a METV. Needed 1 year rental contract and existing account at another bank so they wanted 6 month statements of that account to open with Krungsri. Minimum deposit was 500 baht. They didn't tell me about 500 baht needed to stay in the account or there would be fees. They told you that you need to keep 500 baht minimum or they'll charge fees? How much are the fees?

3 hours ago, orientalist said:

In the app, go to My Favorites All, then Create Favorite. Otherwise, do a transaction and save it as a favorite.

Ok. But....  in my current country dtac sim-card don't work at all. Thus I can't never use it, nor activate the app.

Other options?

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Yep, a week ago on a METV. Needed 1 year rental contract and existing account at another bank so they wanted 6 month statements of that account to open with Krungsri. Minimum deposit was 500 baht. They didn't tell me about 500 baht needed to stay in the account or there would be fees. They told you that you need to keep 500 baht minimum or they'll charge fees? How much are the fees?

What's METV?

Not 500 baht, but 500 usd.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:31 AM, KittenKong said:

I dont know about K-Bank but Krungsri definitely allow foreign phone numbers. A friend opened an account with them recently using a Spanish SIM and he gets all his OTP SMS messages without any trouble.

Although you can use an overseas mobile number, as I did for many years, there can be technical issues. Suddenly my China mobile number could not receive the OTP. It was a system glitch between AIS who Krungsri use and China Mobile on a system upgrade. As advised by the helpdesk, I changed to my Thai number. 

Now using the Krungsri app the OTP is redundant. I suggest OP looks at the functionality of the Kasikorn phone banking app as it may circumvent the need for OTP at all.

4 hours ago, chocolatesound1 said:

I was told at Bangkok Bank that to open an online account that a thai number is needed. If I get a Thai Sim & #, would it work in other countries (US)? Can I use my US sim while in the US to do my online BKK Banking?

The SIM has nothing to do with online banking.  The SIM is for the telephone part of the smart phone that will allow you to receive OTOP's or other text messages from your Thai bank. Usually are free since they are free for the Thai banks to send (I get SMS from both Bangkok Bank and SCB while in the US using a Thai SIM card that I keep in an extra phone)

Online banking is done on the Internet, independent of what type of SIM card you have, the only connection between the two is that the SMS from your bank on your phone may notify you that you need to check you online account via an Internet connection 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

The SIM has nothing to do with online banking.  The SIM is for the telephone part of the smart phone that will allow you to receive OTOP's or other text messages from your Thai bank. Usually are free since they are free for the Thai banks to send (I get SMS from both Bangkok Bank and SCB while in the US using a Thai SIM card that I keep in an extra phone)

Online banking is done on the Internet, independent of what type of SIM card you have, the only connection between the two is that the SMS from your bank on your phone may notify you that you need to check you online account via an Internet connection 

The otp is important for online purchases

Many airlines won't sell you a ticket without it

8 hours ago, chado said:

Ok. But....  in my current country dtac sim-card don't work at all. Thus I can't never use it, nor activate the app.

Other options?

You have to activate wifi use in app, when in Thailand, using your Thai number registered in bank. Wifi use have to be renewed every 90 days. 

1 hour ago, boriga said:

Now using the Krungsri app the OTP is redundant. I suggest OP looks at the functionality of the Kasikorn phone banking app as it may circumvent the need for OTP at all.

One more time: I'm not in Thailand. And my dtac sim in the my current country doesn't work. That's it. I can't receive otp and I can't activate my app.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, chado said:

That is a non-resident FCD account, not a resident THB account.

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Some banks such as TMB will not allow you to activate/use an app without a mobile data connection, at least initially. Wifi is specifically precluded. One of my UK banks has a similar requirement.

31 minutes ago, chado said:

One more time: I'm not in Thailand. And my dtac sim in the my current country doesn't work. That's it. I can't receive otp and I can't activate my app.

Are you sure that you turned on roaming before leaving Thailand? If not you may still be able to do it.

2 hours ago, boriga said:

I use the Krungsri app and for some new transactions and services the OPT is indeed still required. Not for normal day to day use like balance checking and repeat transfers though.

all those people telling you that you cant use kbank app with another countries sim card must not really know and are guessing.. I have the app.. Got it in Thailand. Recently left to be in China. I am now using Chinese sim card.  Not wifi. I am able to use the kbank app and all its functions without any problems. 

So don't worry. 

4 hours ago, chado said:

Then I think you can't start using app, before next time in Thailand. Wifi use have to be activated using your Thai number, and even if it worked in your country, app recognizes it as wifi and you can't log in. 

7 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Incorrect. With Kasikorn your SIM has everything to do with online banking.  You cannot set up a new payee or send payments without it as at each stage you are sent a One Time Password - to your Thai mobile number only. Some mentioned 'favourites' earlier and stated that payments could be made by setting up a payee as a favourite on the K bank mobile application.  I don't know about that - I use mobile banking on my laptop only where I have reasonable security, I won't have banking applications on my phone.

The OP has stated that he cannot use his DTAC SIM in his home country - therefore he cannot set up payees or send payments using online banking because he cannot receive the OTP.

It's your phone number that is required, banks could care less about who is your phone SIM provider. The OTP is received by the phone. If you can't receive an SMS in your home country then you probably didn't set it for roaming prior to leaving Thailand, since there have been many more posts from those who have no problems receiving them, than those who cannot

I think I pay DTAC 12 baht a year for roaming and 24 baht to extend the life of my phone number. Never miss an OTP from either Bangkok Bank or SCB, when in the US

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

the only connection between the two is that the SMS from your bank on your phone may notify you that you need to check you online account via an Internet connection 

don't know about other banks, but with kbank you get an otp for any money transaction you make unless it's between your own accounts