Train Tickets Or Am I Best Using Road?

scduck

Hi,

I quite fancy taking the train this time!

Anyone know the timetable / official web site? Has anyone ever done the journey from BKK to Hua Hin by train? Is it reliable? What was your experience?

I am in the UK and want to reserve the tickets for my wife and child before getting out there. We will be travelling out 1st April!

If I go for the road option, what is the going rate from BKK Hotel to HH? anyone know of any good offers?

I've never done the journey by train, although I've heard it's a nice experience. I think the main drawback is time, from what I've heard the train journey takes almost double the time of the road one. If you're not in a hurry, it might be a nice way to go.

Taxis are charging about 2,000 bt to 2,500 bt for a one way journey at the moment. The minibus from Victory Monument is a lot cheaper, but if you have family & a lot of luggage, might work out just as if not more expensive & inconvenient.

Hi,

I quite fancy taking the train this time!

Anyone know the timetable / official web site? Has anyone ever done the journey from BKK to Hua Hin by train? Is it reliable? What was your experience?

I am in the UK and want to reserve the tickets for my wife and child before getting out there. We will be travelling out 1st April!

If I go for the road option, what is the going rate from BKK Hotel to HH? anyone know of any good offers?

I took the train from Bangkok to Hua Hin a couple of months ago.

They have different trains throughout the day. Some of them make a lot of stops so try to take the one that get's there fastest.

I'm not sure we got on the right one but I seem to remember it took about 4 hours

Here's the State Railway website for info on trains

http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

The trip was very enjoyable. comfortable seating. Great views of the Thai countryside. And no crazy freeway drivers to contend with. They feed you a box lunch

If you have a lot of luggage you have to stow it behind the last seat in the car.

My only complaint is that our train got stuck outside the station for about an hour waiting for something. But I think that was unusual

I prefer it to taking a taxi or minibus. I've heard horror stories about how badly they drive. Don't need the stress to save an hour