All Western all the time?

YogiRit

On 12/3/2018 at 10:44 AM, Genmai said:

You should consider living in a tyrannical communist state where everyone is nice and equal.

Sorry, I got here late.  But can you name one, please?  Are the tyrants and the peasants equal? 

• Like 1

Such silliness. I read the  thread as a sanctimonious pompous man proclaiming his superiority and how much disdain he has for 'western' culture. He is seeking to avoid western culture, yet wishes to 'retire' in Thailand, but only if he can avoid "westerners".  When he becomes ill or is injured and needs assistance. He'll soon discover that it will be the charitable westerners with their western ways who will most likely be the ones offering assistance. When he contracts malaria or dengue, he will surely seek out that evil western medicine, unless he believes that enemas and cow dung  poultices will help.

Think about it. He is coming to a country where the Thais celebrate and  absorb western culture's worst vices such as consumerism, profligate behavior and selfishness, yet he assumes that only "westerners" are impure.
It's not the westerners who spend their money on copies of the latest designer label fashions,  or throw their plastic bags, cups and styrofoam containers on the ground. Nor is it the westerners who typically drive like madmen or who enjoy gambling on cruel dog or cock fights. 

Perhaps he should just buy his fisherman whities, a paper  cup of  Mama noodles, the vital Leo beer and call up a Thai  variety show on the internet. he can laugh along on cue  when the  gong sounds, or the sideshow Bob slide whistle is blown.  He must chortle and point when the requisite  morbidly obese dwarf or child makes an appearance  and is ridiculed.

I much prefer the Yogi Bear of  Jellystone Park. At least he was more fun and he could always be counted on for a picnic basket of treats.

Brilliant!
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Think about it. He is coming to a country where the Thais celebrate and  absorb western culture's worst vices such as consumerism, profligate behavior and selfishness, yet he assumes that only "westerners" are impure.

It's not the westerners who spend their money on copies of the latest designer label fashions,  or throw their plastic bags, cups and styrofoam containers on the ground. Nor is it the westerners who typically drive like madmen or who enjoy gambling on cruel dog or cock fights. 

I guess when the only color in your palette is "stereotype" everything comes out looking like generalization. However, points are awarded to this Jeremiad for a higher level of literacy than usual, and more facile use of language.

And, one could say that this post hoists the OP's troll on its own petard by responding with paradoxical inversion ... but, I wouldn't say that.

~o:37;

• Like 2

I live in a village a very few speak English and it usually niceties . Renting a house here could be a challenge we have 3 or 4 farang 

that I know of and only one I’d see every 2-3 mo this and he’s went 

on to explore the galaxies. 

A small town Kumphawapi you could an apartment inexpensive 5000 baht a month. As one post said you can choose what you want by researching area or forums. 

Hope you find what makes makes you tick and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Advice to the OP, don’t worry about blogs youtube, and forums. come to CM and the experience for oneself. Chiangmai (and Chiangmai province) will be what YOU make it, which can be just about anything.

Chiangmai will change, but not for you.
You will not likely change, it is too late and too difficult, as a “Yogi” you probably know this.
You “can never go home again” your attachments and desires will follow.

Oh and it’s a big city in 2018. Don’t expect the Iowa college boy off to Varanasi 1972 type epic.

I imagine CM is like anywhere... your experiences are up to you.  (Which, I realize, is pretty much what everyone else has said.)  The time I went, I rode the train from Bangkok in a second-class sleeper car with fellow travelers both Thai and Western, hopped in a songthaew from the station (with a bunch of tourists who I laughed at when they tried to complain I shouldn't be allowed in because the vehicle was "full" with 7 people...) and chatted in my limited Thai with the conductor, stayed at a hostel with a bunch of westerners, wandered temples and tried my Thai with vendors, stopped for a slightly-but-not-entirely-Western snack at a cafe and ordered in Thai and English, got interviewed in English by students doing a survey at the event I went there for, surprised a few people when the "tourist" spoke some Thai to them, stood in a crowd of mostly Thais to watch a parade (but didn't go native and stand in front of the floats to take a selfie), wandered the streets to get to a Thai-food restaurant where I told them in Thai that I enjoyed the food, etc.  IOW, I had a lovely mixed weekend in which I was well aware that I could have made the entire experience one or the other had I wished to.

To avoid a place you've never been because you want to guess that it might be more Western than you're into...!  Especially since a bit of research would tell you that from Chiang Mai, you can always take a day or short trip into a less-developed area if the foreigners get to be too much for you.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Katia said:

I imagine CM is like anywhere... your experiences are up to you.  (Which, I realize, is pretty much what everyone else has said.)  The time I went, I rode the train from Bangkok in a second-class sleeper car with fellow travelers both Thai and Western, hopped in a songthaew from the station (with a bunch of tourists who I laughed at when they tried to complain I shouldn't be allowed in because the vehicle was "full" with 7 people...) and chatted in my limited Thai with the conductor, stayed at a hostel with a bunch of westerners, wandered temples and tried my Thai with vendors, stopped for a slightly-but-not-entirely-Western snack at a cafe and ordered in Thai and English, got interviewed in English by students doing a survey at the event I went there for, surprised a few people when the "tourist" spoke some Thai to them, stood in a crowd of mostly Thais to watch a parade (but didn't go native and stand in front of the floats to take a selfie), wandered the streets to get to a Thai-food restaurant where I told them in Thai that I enjoyed the food, etc.  IOW, I had a lovely mixed weekend in which I was well aware that I could have made the entire experience one or the other had I wished to.

To avoid a place you've never been because you want to guess that it might be more Western than you're into...!  Especially since a bit of research would tell you that from Chiang Mai, you can always take a day or short trip into a less-developed area if the foreigners get to be too much for you.

It makes life easier if you can speak Thai , can you speak any Thai ?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not really, spent yesterday evening with the former wifes family at Mae Rim.

All educated, schoolteacher, IT manager, and they didn't speak Central or Lanna Thai.

Some village language I didn't have a clue about.

They can speak English, but don't chat to each other in it (or Thai).

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

1 hour ago, Katia said:

chatted in my limited Thai with the conductor, 

tried my Thai with vendors,

ordered in Thai and English,

surprised a few people when the "tourist" spoke some Thai to them,

I told them in Thai that I enjoyed the food,

• Like 1

So the OP is tired of living in India (or had enough of the Indians) and wants to try some other place. But the only way to find this out is to actually put boots on the ground, which he wanted to do, but then canceled his already-paid-for ticket to come last August? 

I'm a bit confused. You don't seem to be able to navigate the usual smoke and mirrors a forum's posters produce to find something that might be more helpful than you actually coming and looking yourself. 

I'm more curious why you would forfeit the money and the trip. Because you read some posts on a national forum? 

It's like canceling having sex for the first time because of some posts you read online. 

Hey bro, it's like that everywhere.

short answer, primitive primal stuff. People seek what's familiar and safe no matter where they are. It's why we have Chinatown and expat forums.

had an old neighbor from the USA in cm. all he did was go back and forth to an expat western food place, the tennis court then sat in him room with air con on drinking red wine. Last I heard he relocated out of asia back home.

many people never transition and it just becomes easier to move back to "where they are from"

cant write a book here on the psychology, but an oddity of Thailand is almost every expat you meet asks "where are you from?"

its people people who are trying to create a safety and commonality of the familiar. They also do this buy surrounding themselves with western stuff etc etc.

Edited by Dick Crank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

cant write a book here on the psychology, but an oddity of Thailand is almost every expat you meet asks "where are you from?"

At that right there is the answer to all questions regarding the difference between thai and farang culture.

farangs ask "where are you from"

thais ask " pai nai ?"

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, rumak said:

At that right there is the answer to all questions regarding the difference between thai and farang culture.

farangs ask "where are you from"

thais ask " pai nai ?"

It's not a "thai" or "farang" thing, it's universal.

any country you go to travelers will need to peg you into the familiar if your in an exotic location or your not one of the natives.

in other words difference and unknown factors create anxiety which needs to be rectified.

53 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

any country you go to travelers will need to peg you into the familiar if your in an exotic location or your not one of the natives.

in other words difference and unknown factors create anxiety which needs to be rectified.

I'm not scared of living with foreigners and don't court a large circle of friends from my home country. I'm just curious to know where people I meet are from. Sadly it's becoming thought of by 'people who live to be offended' as racist to ask this question, or in some other way deemed offensive or objectionable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

i wasn't trying to be deep  ????      i just saw some humor in the difference  ( where are you from......where are you going )      In thai its just an everyday greeting.    My favorite ( or least favorite) farang question is "what do you do "..... referring to work of course.   Now that is one that is sure to "peg" you in their eyes.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:55 AM, Trujillo said:

You don't seem to be able to navigate the usual smoke and mirrors a forum's posters produce to find something that might be more helpful than you actually coming and looking yourself. 

Thanks, Khun Trujillo,

On waking, right after I click my ruby-slippers' heels together, and sing: "there's no place like home" ...

I repeat this mantra (just slightly altered from Trujillo's poetically evocative version above) in front of the mirror, three times.

That seems to remove pranic blockages at the third chakra, and enable me to remember, and recite, the list of everyone I plan to take revenge on for slights, acts of disrespect, etc.

cheers, ~o:37;

p.s. the best remedy I have found for the lies told by mirrors is to spray-paint them black.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I'm not scared of living with foreigners and don't court a large circle of friends from my home country. I'm just curious to know where people I meet are from. Sadly it's becoming thought of by 'people who live to be offended' as racist to ask this question, or in some other way deemed offensive or objectionable. 

Learn to talk about the weather or what you are immediately doing (the present) when you meet people that are not close associates.

leave the personal questions like home country, work and income for later. You'll be doing us all a favor.

At a minimum, explain why your asking with some personal info about yourself before expecting an answer back.