Moving from BKK to Ubon - pick up removals.

MikeN

We ( gf & I) are moving from Bangkok to Ubon soon and I am just wondering about moving our stuff there, mainly just clothes, personal effects, crockery etc, no large furniture involved. Lots of signs stuck on the light poles around our condo advertising “ pickup removals “ but I gather these are usually for around town ?

Has anybody moved long distance with any of these guys ? Reliability ....any damage to your stuff ? Cost ? ... I imagine we will have to pay for the return trip but I will get the gf to ring them up and avoid a farang surcharge.

I was originally going to buy a vehicle here, but the sister’s husband died recently and she does not drive so it’s been  suggested we buy their pickup at a good price. 7 year old Isuzu but in good condition with only 72000 on the clock when I drove it at Songkran. It’s a good deal but leaves us with the problem of moving our stuff up to Ubon, Muang Samsip to be precise.

Edited by MikeN

We moved a few years ago from outskirts of Bangkok (Minburi) to the outback of Kalasin.  We got some quotes from professional movers and they were exorbitant.  What we finally used was one of the local trucks that you sometimes see parked up on the side of major roads with signs and telephone numbers on them.  We found lots on Ramkhamhang Rd)  Thais call them "rot hok lore" (6 wheelers) and 'rot sip lore'  (10 wheelers).  We had loads of stuff from furniture to plants and ended up with 2 x 6 wheelers.  It cost us less than 10% of the professionals price.  Nothing was lost and nothing damaged.  However as they are almost like cattle trucks which they will tarp up, you need to pack everything very well.  We had a lot of furniture which we wrapped in bubble wrap and had no damage at all.  Only requirement they had was that somebody had to go with them in the truck to show them the way.  We paid the BIL to go with them.  We had no problems at all.

• Like 1

We moved from Pattaya to Ubon some two years ago.

TGF arranged for a truck from her village near Ubon.

We had our two motocys and a lot of stuff from our two rental studios in Pattaya.

There was some light damage.

Next move is my stuff in my rental BKK studio to bring here.

TGF will arrange for a pickup truck. A truck would cost too much this time for what there is to move.

I'll have to leave stuff behind.

Your TGF should be able to organize the move ...

We don’t need a proper removalist, they are ridiculously expensive. A pickup with a high roofed canopy should be plenty big enough, but we will start boxing everything up and then reassess if we will need a six wheeler instead.

If it’s only a bit too much for a pickup I suppose one option would be to post some of the bulky but light stuff, instead of paying extra for a 6 wheeler ?

I’ll get the gf to check how much extra the six wheeler is, and the cubic capacity of the pickup.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, MikeN said:

We don’t need a proper removalist, they are ridiculously expensive. A pickup with a high roofed canopy should be plenty big enough, but we will start boxing everything up and then reassess if we will need a six wheeler instead.

If it’s only a bit too much for a pickup I suppose one option would be to post some of the bulky but light stuff, instead of paying extra for a 6 wheeler ?

I’ll get the gf to check how much extra the six wheeler is, and the cubic capacity of the pickup.

O

I use on a very regular basis company called Ubol S Transport. 

I have had large refrigeration units sent up by them. In fact they deliver to my restaurant every week and what you have is up their alley. 

You don't need to pay for return trips or anything like that. 

Their number is 045314873 or 0876840128.

• Like 1