Thailand gets serious about plastic bags

webfact

Malls/7-11 and the like should just put up prices on everything in their stores/supermarkets by 1 or 2  baht and issue bio-degradable plastic bags to people in the same fashion as now. Who would notice or complain if their can of tuna cost 41 or 42 baht instead of 40? I couldn't care less about that if it was to introduce environmentally friendly bags. 

• Like 2

No plastic bags for shoppers on Dec 4 as campaign against single-use plastic bags launched

Plastic-Bags-Thai-PBS.jpg

Marking the Thai Environment Day Dec 4, convenience stores, modern trade stores and shopping malls will refrain from providing single-use plastic bags to shoppers and at the same time will campaign for donation of cloth bags to be distributed to hospitals for containing medicines.

The plastic bag-free day is the outcome of a memorandum of understanding signed by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and operators of convenience stores, modern trade stores and shopping malls to reduce the use of single-use plastic bags with the Thai Environment Day being designated as the launch date for the campaign.

After the plastic bag-free day on December 4, all the stores and malls will work out their own measures to reduce the use of the plastic bags ,such as designating a day or a few days of a week that no plastic bags will be provided to shoppers.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-plastic-bags-for-shoppers-on-dec-4-as-campaign-against-single-use-plastic-bags-launched/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-12-04
  • Thanks 1

Plastic bag ban to mark Thai Environment Day on Dec 4

BANGKOK, 4 December 2018 (NNT) - Convenience stores, modern trade outlets, and shopping malls across Thailand will jointly refrain from providing single-use plastic bags to consumers to mark the Thai Environment Day Dec 4. 

The plastic bag-free day is the outcome of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and operators of convenience stores, modern trade outlets, and shopping malls. The Thai Environment Day has been designated as the launch date of the campaign to reduce single-use plastic bags. 

After tomorrow, all stores and malls will work out their own measures to reduce the use of the plastic bags, such as increasing number of days of plastic bag ban in each week. 

Earlier, several universities asked convenience stores in their campuses to stop providing single-use plastic bags to shoppers. The universities urged them to bring their own reusable bags to carry goods with incentives provided. Reusable bags are also available to be loaned to the shoppers.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-12-04
  • Thanks 1

On a recent trip to Kanchanaburi I stopped at a 7/11 for refreshment twice at the checkout I told the girl I didn't want a straw for my milk drink or plastic bag for my sandwich and drink. Obviously the message not getting through from head office regarding the use of plastic bags.

There is so much plastic in Thailand I find the OP quite laughable. Rimping in CM has no plastic bags on Wednesday. Woop de doo. It sells small containers of grapes in a plastic bucket, with a plastic fork inside. They sell precooked salmon on a plastic tray, wrapped in plastic, with a plastic sachet of sauce and a completely gratuitous plastic green ornament. Who do they think they are kidding with this BS?

Believe it or not those orange bags actually breakdown to powder after 6 months, I have some in my storage area with bolts and screws packets in them.

So, you can purchase all the goods in plastic pots, bottles, jugs and containers. Food on plastic pressed bases. Noodle and rice pots needing just hot water. Coke, Sprite, Fanta and all the other sweet, fizzy coloured drinks in 2L plastic bottles. Ice cream in heavy duty tubs. Biscuits and cakes in plastic packets, and just about everything double covered in plastic wrapping. But please bring a cloth bag to take it home. Seriously.......

And when they go buying all that they burn a lot of fuel in their very large air conditioned car...

I'm still amazed how many thai go buy breakfast by car to come home with some rice soup.

• Like 1

Yes they do, i have some bags hanging on the shoppingscooter and they all like it when i bring them.

Now if they could only learn to not treat their own country like a giant garbage can! Perhaps a don't litter campaign would be useful?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now if they could only learn to not treat their own country like a giant garbage can! Perhaps a don't litter campaign would be useful?

I see it everyday, Thai throwing big black bin bags out of their car into the swamps at backroads in BKK....but i never see the police doing anything except they were very busy with a bicycle tour last sunday....in BKK.

• Thanks 1

On a recent trip to Kanchanaburi I stopped at a 7/11 for refreshment twice at the checkout I told the girl I didn't want a straw for my milk drink or plastic bag for my sandwich and drink. Obviously the message not getting through from head office regarding the use of plastic bags.

I frequent a Mini Big C and a Tesco Express close to our village. All the staff know me and recognize me as a 'no plastic' customer. They know all about this issue and give me an encouraging 'thumbs up' whenever I visit. But in the end, it's down to the customers. They are the ones who need to be educated and encouraged.

• Thanks 2

Believe it or not those orange bags actually breakdown to powder after 6 months, I have some in my storage area with bolts and screws packets in them.

555... don't you mean 'had some in...'? ???? 

thinking further... this will be a challenge for them: image.jpeg.bcafa236d79c83536780c92576cdd046.jpeg      hmmm, the cloth bag challenge...