The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

On 12/27/2021 at 2:35 PM, Lakegeneve said:

To answer the last question first, no. SRT Red lines are narrow gauge and ARL is standard. A new viaduct will need to be built for the ARL/AERA1/Eastern High Speed line/3 Airports line most likely adjacent on the east side of the current viaduct. (I had advanced the idea 10 years ago that the SRT should be building an intergrated, super structure viaduct for the then SRT Dark Red & ARL ext & Eastern High Speed line). The 4 tracks are for the fact that SRT Intercity services will use the middle tracks - originally it was only 3 tracks before the SRT realised in 2013 that it needed to be 4 tracks.

Next time you use the Dark red line you can see that north of Bang Sue on the east side there is already a built section of the HSR viaduct extending for around 1 km north of Bang Sue Grand. I assume that this will be used for both the ARL ext/Eastern HSR and  the NE HSR lines.

Regarding rolling stock, for the SRT Red lines use Hitachi & Mitsubishi stock. I've used both Red lines a bunch of times and I don't really agree with it being more noisy or bumpy compared to the ARL. Though the Light Red line is perhaps a little noisier than the Dark Red. Indeed, the ARL still has the problem of the poor Chinese steel track which will need to be replaced along with the infamous 'bang' which occurs between Ram and Hua Mark stations. The line will need to closed for 6 months so that they can replace the track and install new signalling before the ext to DMK opens.

Nice that you finally were able to check our the MRT stations on the Thonburi side, it makes a huge difference for everyone living on that side of the river. The MRT Blue line ext was originally due to open in late 2016. Instead we had to wait until July to Dec 2019 as it gradually opened before full services in March 2020. Not quite the 5 year delay with the opening of the SRT Red lines though......

Thanks LG for the informative reply, as always.  I never even noticed they were narrow gauge, I just naturally assumed a new electric service would use standard gauge like all the others.  Oh well I guess.......SRT.

Also strikes me as crazy that they will need to build an entirely new viaduct for the ARL when it would have made sense to integrate them in to one structure as you suggested, but I guess.........SRT.

I do use the ARL regularly, including twice on the day I did my Red Line / Blue Line  junket, and to the rolling stock is definitely smoother and quieter - loud Ram bang and dodgy cheap steel notwithstanding.  But maybe that's just me.  Overall I found the Red Line pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

Tender updates

1) MRT Purple line south ext (23.6km) - tenders awarded, contracts to be singed next month

The good news first. The MRTA tenders for 6 contracts were released on schedule, well in early Nov, and 12 bidders submitted bids by the tender deadline of 27 December 2021. Late last week, the MRTA announced the winners of the 6 construction contracts.

Contracts should be signed in early March with work scheduled to commence around mid year. There is a 5.5 year contraction deadline in the tender for a scheduled opening in Dec 2027 - however, as well know that will probably end up being at least mid 2028.

spacer.png

2) 1) MRT Orange line west ext (13.4km) 

Unfortunately, the tender has been delayed due to the ongoing litigation. Also, an ammended EIA had to be approved as there were some design changes. Pracha Sonkraw station was moved east by 450m, Dindeang station was moved north 500m and Yommarat staion was redesigned for a larger area with extra entrances. Hopefully, we might see this tender go out by mid year if the litigation is resolved by the parties. Awaiting an update from the next Admin Court hearing.

The original tender sate of late 2017 was delayed until June 2020 as the govt changed the tender to a PPP one - a waste of 2.5 yrs. That tender was subsequently cancelled by the MRTA in Feb 2021 due to the litigation by the BTSC initiated  in mid Sept 2020.

The tender has a construction timeframe of 3.5 years - had the original tender been issued as first planned in late 2017 we would probably have an open line by now!

3) MRT Brown line (22.3km)

Big delays here. Some major redesign work taking place for this line (and the N2 Expressway project) with the govt now wanting to issue a PPP tender. Redesign is planned to be completed by Sept and the current tentative tender timeframe is mid 2023, a big delay.

This is the new future network map (issued by Dept of Rail Transport and Mahidol Uni) 

spacer.png

Thanks for the updates.  I still find it amazing looking at that map and remembering it is Bangkok, not London or Paris or any other city that has had this infrastructure for a long time (and built over several decades).  I moved here in 1995 when there was literally nothing, just 5-6 years ago there was not so much, and in a few years time we'll have that!  For all the delays, problems, issues (no common ticketing for example) it is still an incredible achievement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Tender updates

2) 1) MRT Orange line west ext (13.4km) 

Unfortunately, the tender has been delayed due to the ongoing litigation. Also, an ammended EIA had to be approved as there were some design changes. Pracha Sonkraw station was moved east by 450m, Dindeang station was moved north 500m and Yommarat staion was redesigned for a larger area with extra entrances. Hopefully, we might see this tender go out by mid year if the litigation is resolved by the parties. Awaiting an update from the next Admin Court hearing.

The original tender sate of late 2017 was delayed until June 2020 as the govt changed the tender to a PPP one - a waste of 2.5 yrs. That tender was subsequently cancelled by the MRTA in Feb 2021 due to the litigation by the BTSC initiated  in mid Sept 2020.

The tender has a construction timeframe of 3.5 years - had the original tender been issued as first planned in late 2017 we would probably have an open line by now!

The BKK Admin Court has dismissed the case against the MRTA and thankfully there has been some discussion as BTSC does not appear to be seeking to appeal the case to a higher court Thus, the MRTA has announced that after input from various stake holders they will issue a new tender after March with a timeframe to have contracts signed by the end of August. (Actually, they stated that the tender period will be March to August with construction starting in Sept, but I'm interpreting this in a more realistic timeframe.) Let's see how it proceeds.....

Unfortunately, the MRTA also announced that the Eastern section now won't open until August 2024, but that could slip further even though all works will be completed by the end of this year. 

• Thanks 1

Great that BTS is doing all this expansion. Bangkok needs it. But I'd like to see them take a small part of that budget and build the station at Sena Ruam (N6). It's been on the maps since 1999 and is still there as a 'future station'. It's a long way from Ari to Saphan Kwai and with all the new condos and office towers in the area no doubt it would get a lot of traffic, certainly more than Sanam Pao, which must have the least traffic of any station on the original line. Really at this point I think they should either just build the station or officially eliminate it, change Saphan Kwai to N6 and count up northward from there. 

21 hours ago, dekestone said:

Great that BTS is doing all this expansion. Bangkok needs it. But I'd like to see them take a small part of that budget and build the station at Sena Ruam (N6). It's been on the maps since 1999 and is still there as a 'future station'. It's a long way from Ari to Saphan Kwai and with all the new condos and office towers in the area no doubt it would get a lot of traffic, certainly more than Sanam Pao, which must have the least traffic of any station on the original line. Really at this point I think they should either just build the station or officially eliminate it, change Saphan Kwai to N6 and count up northward from there. 

Eliminating the station would mess up their fares table, S4 at St. Lois hospital did only got built, so there's hope N6 will get the treatment too

N6 was going to be built after S4, but Covid and the ongoing issues related to the BTS exts debt and concession ext have delayed it.

It could be sometime away, much as the 3 remaining BTS exts will be while this political saga drags on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sexy eh?

S__165961749.jpg.cfe70627b89dcbe6bc0402f920cb4484.jpg

Not the term I'd use. Sleek yes...

What's the latest on expanded testing along other parts of the line? I've been checking diff sections of the line and I'm doubtful that we will see a mid year opening of the full line. Perhaps, just the southern section as was originally planned and then latphrao section by the end of the year?

Currently the plan is still officially (a-hem) beginning of August (although exactly what will open is unclear), but they keep teasing with further delays.

Covid is still high on the blame list, we've got 50% of our (already short handed) installation crew in isolation (one +ve test, everyone else isolating just in case).

It's all basically a cluster f***!

On 2/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Tender updates

1) MRT Purple line south ext (23.6km) - tenders awarded, contracts to be singed next month

The good news first. The MRTA tenders for 6 contracts were released on schedule, well in early Nov, and 12 bidders submitted bids by the tender deadline of 27 December 2021. Late last week, the MRTA announced the winners of the 6 construction contracts.

Contracts should be signed in early March with work scheduled to commence around mid year. There is a 5.5 year contraction deadline in the tender for a scheduled opening in Dec 2027 - however, as well know that will probably end up being at least mid 2028.

spacer.png

MRT Purple line southern ext - 23.6km, 17 stations (12.6 km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated)

MRTA has stated that contracts will be signed tomorrow! Contruction timeframe is 5.5 years.

Sino-Thai are stating that they will move most of their workforce from the MRTA Orange line and can start construction almost immediately.

Contract 1: Tao Poon section – National Library. 4.87km, 3 underground stations

CKST-PL JOINT VENTURE (comprising CH. Karnchang Public Company Limited) and Sino-Thai Company Ltd (STEC).  19.433 billion baht

Contract 2: National Library - Phan Fa. 2.33km, 3 undgerground stations

CKST-PL JOINT VENTURE 15.878 billion baht

Contract 3: Phan Fa - Memorial Bridge. 3.12km, 2 underground stations

ITD - NWR MRT JOINT VENTURE (comprising Italian-Thai Development Public Company Ltd and Nawarat Patanakarn Public Company Ltd) 15.109 billion baht

Contract 4: Memorial Bridge - Dao Khanong. 3.97km, 2 underground stations

Unique Engineering and Construction Public Company Limited 14.982 billion baht

Contract 5: Dao Khanong - Khru Nai. 9.34km, 7 elevated stations. Depot and Park & Ride

Italian-Thai Co., Ltd. 13.095 billion baht

Contract 6trackwork

Italian-Thai Company 3,.589 billion baht

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Currently the plan is still officially (a-hem) beginning of August (although exactly what will open is unclear), but they keep teasing with further delays.

Covid is still high on the blame list, we've got 50% of our (already short handed) installation crew in isolation (one +ve test, everyone else isolating just in case).

It's all basically a cluster f***!

Okay cheers. That does sound like a very challenging time and accords with my impressions.

Appreciate the update, good luck with it all.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Lakegeneve said:

MRT Purple line southern ext - 23.6km, 17 stations (12.6 km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated)

MRTA has stated that contracts will be signed tomorrow! Contruction timeframe is 5.5 years.

Sino-Thai are stating that they will move most of their workforce from the MRTA Orange line and can start construction almost immediately.

Contract 1: Tao Poon section – National Library. 4.87km, 3 underground stations

CKST-PL JOINT VENTURE (comprising CH. Karnchang Public Company Limited) and Sino-Thai Company Ltd (STEC).  19.433 billion baht

Contract 2: National Library - Phan Fa. 2.33km, 3 undgerground stations

CKST-PL JOINT VENTURE 15.878 billion baht

Contract 3: Phan Fa - Memorial Bridge. 3.12km, 2 underground stations

ITD - NWR MRT JOINT VENTURE (comprising Italian-Thai Development Public Company Ltd and Nawarat Patanakarn Public Company Ltd) 15.109 billion baht

Contract 4: Memorial Bridge - Dao Khanong. 3.97km, 2 underground stations

Unique Engineering and Construction Public Company Limited 14.982 billion baht

Contract 5: Dao Khanong - Khru Nai. 9.34km, 7 elevated stations. Depot and Park & Ride

Italian-Thai Co., Ltd. 13.095 billion baht

Contract 6trackwork

Italian-Thai Company 3,.589 billion baht

wondered if they will use the orange line's Tunnel boring machine, or will that be used for the orange line's westward expansion 

On 3/12/2022 at 4:21 PM, digbeth said:

wondered if they will use the orange line's Tunnel boring machine, or will that be used for the orange line's westward expansion 

Well those TBMs are well packed up, so I doubt they would still be around. Plus I don't think tunnellng would start until around Q2 next year? The owner of the TBMs would not leave them idle stored in BKK for 18-24 months between projects.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lakegeneve said:

BMA Grey line update

Not much has happened to this previous MRT line since the BMA took over responsibility for the line in 2013 and stated that they will tender it in 2014 AND build it within 3 years! In 2014, some silly person then came up with the not so bright idea of an extension along Rama 4 and Rama 3 to connect with the MRT Blue line at Tha Phra to essentially replace the BRT route.

You can read my previous posts from 2013/2014 on the BMA Grey line here .....half way down the page. (There is also a previous explanation on why the Pink and Yellow lines were changed to monorails that I had forgotton about,,,,,,,,,)

spacer.png

However, 2 weeks ago the BMA stated that they have commissioned another feasibility study for the 16.5km line (nice earner for consultants doing feasibility studies every few years for the same line) which will be completed in March. The BMA then intends to obtain Cabinet approval in 2023 and potentially tender the line as a PPP project in 2024. PPP is all the rage now. Not much rush here compared with the previous 2013 intention to build it within 3 years! The line is not expected to open until 2030 assuming that it passes all the other hoops in the next 2 years.

The Phase 2 12.2km ext from Phrakhanong to Rama 3 and Phase 3 11.5km from Rama 3 to Tha Phra sections would then be built in the 30s. However, hopefully sense prevails and the Phrakhanong to Tha Phra idea is treated as a completely different line. Ideally in my view, the MRT Blue line should instead be extended south to Rama 3 to replace the BRT if that is the main aim of the BMA. However, MRTA has never had plans to extend the line further south from Tha Phra and the BMA wants to do their own project to resolve the BRT issue.

Everyone is very happy in this video.....

The feasibility study and a draft EIA have been completed for the BMA Grey line. The BMA held a consultation meeting with the private sector on Thursday to provide an overview of this PPP tender. Detailed designs are planned to be completed by early 2023 and thereafter will seek Cabinet approval by around mid year. Still not planning to do the tender until 2024.....

There's a video in the previous post if you want to view the comnplete, potential line.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Construction progress as at 31 January:

1) MRT Orange Line: 90.61%

2) MRT Pink Line: 86.54%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 91.24%

Construction progress as at 31 March:

1) MRT Orange Line: 92.69%

2) MRT Pink Line: 88.16%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 92.48%

4) MRT Purple Line (southern ext): construction about to begin

The ARL ext to DMK Airport is also reported to finally begin in the next 2-3 months. 

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Testing on MRT Yellow and MRT Pink lines begins:

Firstly, to update the rolling stock figure the BSR on Monday said that 22 of the Yellow line sets of rolling stock have been delivered as of the end of Nov. A big difference to the Oct figure I posted last week. BSR still expects all sets to be delivered by the end March 2022.

Daily testing began on both lines on Monday. for the MRT Yellow line it is only a 6km section between the depot at Si Lam (YL 17) and Srinagarindra 38 (YL 14) which is just north of Seacon Sq so one could view it from there. ITesting is only being done at 25km/h for the next 3 months after which it will be undertaken at higher speeds along an extended section of the line.

For the Pink line it is a more limited section from the depot from what I understand, I need to check as the line is more behind schedule than the Yellow. Previously, they were testing on just a small 500m section from the depot to just past Minburi

MRT Yellow & MRT Pink lines: delayed opening dates and updated rolling stock numbers -

BSR didn't receive all sets by March as previously scheduled. MRT Yellow line has received 26 of the 30 sets. MRT Pink line has received only 24 of 42 sets. BSR states that ll sets are now expected to be delivered by July. Though, in the case of the Pink sets that seems doubtful. Sets will be progressively tested on the line still at only 25 km/h.

As expected given Crossey's previous info last month, the BSR announced during Songkhran delays to the opening dates for both lines. The MRT Yellow line will now not open until September (Y2 to Y23) and this won't include Lat Phrao (Y1) station which won't open until late 2022/early 2023.

The MRT Pink line first stage will not not open until December with the following 2 stages opening in 2023. Full testing along stage 1 is hoped to start in Sept. Essentially, it means;

Stage 1 Dec 2022: Min Buri(PK30) to Laksi (PK14) - 20km (Except Nopparat (PK26)

Laksi interchanges with SRT Dark Red line

Stage 2 March 2023: Laksi (PK14 to Royal Irrigation Dept (PK05) - 9km

Stage 3 July 2023: Royal Irrigation Dept (PK05) to Nonthaburi Civic Centre (Pk01) - 5.5k

*Obviously, subject to further changes

spacer.png

https://www.mrta-pinkline.com/project_detail/เส้นทางสายสีชมพู/

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

I mean to post this late last year and completely forgot about it. Shows the evolution of the expansion. There's a couple of small mistakes and of course ignore the future lines sequencing.

Ah that's cool, thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Construction progress as at 31 March:

1) MRT Orange Line: 92.69%

2) MRT Pink Line: 88.16%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 92.48%

The ARL ext to DMK Airport is also reported to finally begin in the next 2-3 months. 

Construction progress as at 31 May:

1) MRT Orange Line: 94.51%

2) MRT Pink Line: 90.06%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 93.42%

I'm thinking that the delayed Sept opening date for the MRT Yellow line is probably going to slip into Oct or Nov from what I've seen. Testing has been expanded along the line, but there is still probably at least 2 months progress before full line testing can begin and then ideally they would want a min of 2-3 months for full line testing.

Your thoughts Crossy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:40 AM, Lakegeneve said:

Tender updates

2) MRT Orange line west ext (13.4km) 

3) MRT Brown line (22.3km)

Big delays here. Some major redesign work taking place for this line (and the N2 Expressway project) with the govt now wanting to issue a PPP tender. Redesign is planned to be completed by Sept and the current tentative tender timeframe is mid 2023, a big delay.

This is the new future network map (issued by Dept of Rail Transport and Mahidol Uni) 

spacer.png

Tender updates:

1) MRT Orange line west ext (13.4km)

The reissued PPP tender for the much delayed MRT Orange line west ext was issued on 27 May. There were 14 bidders who sought the auction packages. However, this will essentially come down to BEM and the BTSC again.

2) MRT Brown line (22.3km)

New studies for the MRTA have been completed while detailed design work on the 7.2km shared section of the N2 expressway is close to being done. MRTA Is drafting the TOR for a tender. Still not expected to be tendered until mid 2023 with work to start in 2024. Aiming for a 2028 opening if everything proceeds as scheduled.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, digbeth said:

Heard somewhere that the first phase of trial opening for the Yellow line will be from YL11 Hua Mark down only, nothing north into Lardprao rd. 

This was actually the original opening plan for Oct last year. However, today BSR announced that the MRT Yellow line first stage opening would now not open until Jan 2023 and yes from Samrong to Hua Mark. 

For the MRT Pink that it now pushed back until Feb 2023 for Minburi to Laksi section. These seem much for realistic dates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yellow line on Srinakkarin rd south of the depot the tracks are all electrified, the bulk of the remaining work seems to be on station facilities, walkway and stairs are going in quite rapidly, but lifts and escalator are nowhere to be seen yet

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Tender updates:

1) MRT Orange line west ext (13.4km)

The reissued PPP tender for the much delayed MRT Orange line west ext was issued on 27 May. There were 14 bidders who sought the auction packages. However, this will essentially come down to BEM and the BTSC again.

spacer.png

2) MRT Brown line (22.3km)

New studies for the MRTA have been completed while detailed design work on the 7.2km shared section of the N2 expressway is close to being done. MRTA Is drafting the TOR for a tender. Still not expected to be tendered until mid 2023 with work to start in 2024. Aiming for a 2028 opening if everything proceeds as scheduled.

Hi LG,

The area around Hua Mark ARL was fairly recently re-done, with better road crossings (level with the kerb at the crossing point so better disabled access).  There is also all new illuminated signage which is much better and a sign saying AERA City 1.   I wondered why all the improvements and what AERA City 1 is and found out that is the 3 airport HSL consortium (Asia Era One Company).  So has the running of the ARL now been handed over to them?