UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

There are numerous examples within the UK whete discrimination occurs based on a persons residency. Immediate example that comes to mind is NHS prescription charges.

Not the same thing, The NHS is a UK residency based benefit. The Social Security act is a selective residency based benefit.

The complete history on the issue can be found in this document

BRIEFING PAPER Number CBP-01457, 11 April 2019

and in particular why the issue came about in the first place.

"When the rate of pension was increased in 1946, the increase was not paid to pensioners abroad. The reasons for this decision appear to have been related mainly to the then forthcoming new scheme of National Insurance. It was considered that the substantial increase in pension, from 10 to 26 shillings, was a first instalment of the new scheme and that pensioners abroad had made only a small contribution to their pensions and could not reasonably expect a share in the new scheme."

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The women lost their case regarding the age issue on pensions, government argued the changes were to remove discrimination against men. One case of discrimination against another.

The ruling is not surprising as the governments case was based on a protected characteristic, gender.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, billzant said:

I seek clarification.

Pensioners to get bumper 4% rise in state pension next spring
https://mol.im/a/7579117

This is a rise in the basic pension compared to the uprating being frozen. We get the increase in basic pension. Is that true?

I think this is pensioners on the latest scheme which came into force a few years ago, the one brought forward by Iian Duncan Smith, ones from the former scheme will likely get the 2.5%.

The UK budget is set for November 6th and we have a new Chancellor, as things stand from next April and the start of the new tax year the basic tax allowance is not going up. I think we got 650.00 in the current year, so lets hope for the best and little something.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, nong38 said:

The UK budget is set for November 6th and we have a new Chancellor, as things stand from next April and the start of the new tax year the basic tax allowance is not going up. I think we got 650.00 in the current year, so lets hope for the best and little something.

Not any more. They said cancelled but I suppose they mean Postponed

Den

On 12/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, billzant said:

Evadgib, I welcome a pensions dashboard especially if it has a contact form. Pension dashboard works well with my job pension.

I think there is a serious problem communicating with the state pensions people. I prefer letters. Last year I had reason to send a letter. You never know whether it has arrived. I asked their twitter account if they would acknowledge receipt of the letter, they refused. In the letter I asked if they would email a receipt notice, no acknowledgement. In the end I phoned. The lady was extremely helpful and efficient, and in our conversation she mentioned the letter was in a queue - by this time at least 3 months. Unfortunately the phone connection was lost, and I couldn't phone back because it was a menu system and I wouldn't get the person I had spoken to.

And of course I was paying for the phone call!!

Online messaging would be useful, is that in the plan?

The DWP answer phones promptly and has helpful and efficient staff. If you want a confirmation of receipt of mail then send the letter registered delivery.

In todays "this is money.co.uk" there is an article about 40 cross party MPs urging the HMG to end the pension discrimination of overseas ex pats. It claims that Amber Rudd had suggested that expats in the EU would receive rises to their pensions for the next 3 years at least, the figure is 660,000 pensioners. The MPs argue this should also apply to the 528,000 who live overseas but out of the EU.

Whilst one does not get ones hopes up to high the situation wont go away and well done to the 40 MPs who want the situation to change.

13 hours ago, billzant said:

I suspect this but don't know for sure:-

http://frozenbritishpensions.org/

Looks like a separate initiative. From what I can see the APPG last met in April with no further meeting scheduled. The meeting lasted an hour with only 4 MPs present.

The uprating regulations are rushed through every year to prevent discussion and amendment.

From the minutes.

"In a written answer to Virendra Sharma the Government argued that the Social Security Uprating Regulations include benefits such as increases in carers allowance to save time ‘due to constraints on parliamentary time due to EU exit’ "

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I have just had a look on the internet ,but can anyone find a thread where a pensioner has been taken to court for not declaring they live abroad and claiming the increases? not social security fraud ,but pension rises?

Strongly suspect that DWP, in practice, merely content themselves with abating pension payments until the increases have been recovered. While they might well be worth a lot to the individual pensioner claiming them, the total amount involved would probably pale into insignificance for DWP when compared to the costs which they would almost certainly incur in (e.g.) extraditing said pensioner to face the music in a UK court.

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I have just had a look on the internet ,but can anyone find a thread where a pensioner has been taken to court for not declaring they live abroad and claiming the increases? not social security fraud ,but pension rises?

Few I know of didn't go to court, they were proven guilty with evidence, two paid statutory 1000 quid fine plus the over payments.

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Looks like a separate initiative. From what I can see the APPG last met in April with no further meeting scheduled. The meeting lasted an hour with only 4 MPs present.

The uprating regulations are rushed through every year to prevent discussion and amendment.

From the minutes.

"In a written answer to Virendra Sharma the Government argued that the Social Security Uprating Regulations include benefits such as increases in carers allowance to save time ‘due to constraints on parliamentary time due to EU exit’ "

Hi Sandy,

Yes I agree the last activity at the website was April. But the mail article talked of an all-party group I think, and this is the formal one.
Why would another all party group start? After all there is nothing to be gained politically for any party, they have all failed frozen pensioners.

Sandy, what's your take on the pension increase? I understand frozen pensioners will not get it.

11 hours ago, billzant said:

Hi Sandy,

Yes I agree the last activity at the website was April. But the mail article talked of an all-party group I think, and this is the formal one.
Why would another all party group start? After all there is nothing to be gained politically for any party, they have all failed frozen pensioners.

Sandy, what's your take on the pension increase? I understand frozen pensioners will not get it.

The mail article talked of a cross party group, not another parliamentary group. It is not the first time a group of MPs have voiced an opinion, but it is a different matter when the regulations get voted on every year.

As for the increases, "frozen pensions" never get them, inherent in the term "frozen".

Hi Sandy, I guess you're right, it would have been on the website if it was the APPG.

The good sign, some MPs think it worth writing the letter. As you say just for show when it comes to the crunch of voting ...

It is a "bundled" bill and this issue is too "small" to vote against the bill.

The DM article seems to be a new approach as the picture looks to me like that SNP Cherry MP unless of course the DM have just chosen a picture at random with no research. With an election in the offing best not to get hopes too high as a new Parliament might not have the same people and views and its a safe ploy for now.

Looking at the previous article mentioned did anyone have a look at the members of the group? Jeremy was there but strangely quiet on this subject whilst making a lot of noise about workers rights and Brexit, obviously not  a candidate for Pensioner's Champion.

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

The DM article seems to be a new approach as the picture looks to me like that SNP Cherry MP unless of course the DM have just chosen a picture at random with no research. With an election in the offing best not to get hopes too high as a new Parliament might not have the same people and views and its a safe ploy for now.

Looking at the previous article mentioned did anyone have a look at the members of the group? Jeremy was there but strangely quiet on this subject whilst making a lot of noise about workers rights and Brexit, obviously not  a candidate for Pensioner's Champion.

Now that surprises me a little.

Jeremy Corbyn. Born: May 26, 1949 (age 70 years), Chippenham, United Kingdom

Elected as the MP for Islington North in 1983. His activism has included roles in Anti-Fascist Action, the Anti-Apartheid Movement and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and advocating for a united Ireland. As a backbench MP, he frequently voted against the Labour whip, including "New Labour" governments under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. A vocal opponent of the Iraq War, he chaired the Stop the War Coalition from 2011 to 2015. He has received two international awards for his promotion of peace.

That sprog is younger than me, and I bet his parliamentary pension will be huge compared to the state pension.

Pull up the pension ladder, as I am alright Jack.

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

Now that surprises me a little.

Jeremy Corbyn. Born: May 26, 1949 (age 70 years), Chippenham, United Kingdom

Elected as the MP for Islington North in 1983. His activism has included roles in Anti-Fascist Action, the Anti-Apartheid Movement and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and advocating for a united Ireland. As a backbench MP, he frequently voted against the Labour whip, including "New Labour" governments under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. A vocal opponent of the Iraq War, he chaired the Stop the War Coalition from 2011 to 2015. He has received two international awards for his promotion of peace.

That sprog is younger than me, and I bet his parliamentary pension will be huge compared to the state pension.

Pull up the pension ladder, as I am alright Jack.

Quite Bill. Amazing how quickly they can change the law when it suits.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, transam said:

Few I know of didn't go to court, they were proven guilty with evidence, two paid statutory 1000 quid fine plus the over payments.

Just the very basic understanding of UK benefit fraud,associated with standard UK old age pension,and the instruments associated with it ,render this posting not only infantile but truly atrocious in content,if you cannot,or are unwilling to gain basic facts from DWP pension fundamentals, its not worth posting

On 10/28/2019 at 2:41 AM, bert bloggs said:

...and you will not,there are none..period,anyone using "court","non-court" procedures is off their rocker

Archived