UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

On 8/27/2019 at 3:05 PM, sandyf said:

What happened to me is irrelevant.

You stated in a previous post "There is now the real prospect ..............", the prospect has not just arisen, it has been around for a long time.

When the 2016 reforms were first proposed it was fairly obvious the the governments intention was to push people down the route of providing their own pension. When my son started work about 10 years ago I said to him he should be thinking about providing for his retirement but he just shrugged it off.

There are some on this forum enjoying occupational/private pensions that have been quite critical of people of my age not doing more to provide for the future when pensions were reformed in the 80's. I am quite prepared to admit they were right and the younger generations need to wake up to current reality rather than what may or may not happen.

It doesn't take much working out. The new state pension is around £8767 a year and yet the government tells visa applicants they need £18,600 a year to live on. Even if the pension age remained at 65 what you would get would be inadequate without some personal provision. Tell people they have to wait a bit longer and you enhance the incentive to increase that provision.

'What happened to me is irrelevant.'

Don't be silly- you made it relevant by talking about it!????

In 2016, I was 55 and just 10 years from retirement age.

But there is an error as I should have written: there is now the real prospect of someone working 55 and even 59 years before they are able to retire.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

'What happened to me is irrelevant.'

Don't be silly- you made it relevant by talking about it!????

In 2016, I was 55 and just 10 years from retirement age.

But there is an error as I should have written: there is now the real prospect of someone working 55 and even 59 years before they are able to retire.

You are taking things out of context. I said it was not unusual for people to have paid nearly 50 years, I did not say when I retired, you just assumed it was 65 which is wrong it was 62. Many people continue to pay NI after they have retired.

As for prospects, they changed a long time ago. Everyone can determine there own retirement age and for the average person that would mean making preparations as soon as they leave school. Relying on the state is no longer a viable option.

I do however sympathise with those too old to make beneficial changes once the significance of the reforms was appreciated, something that can happen to us all.

Make no mistake, I think what the government is trying to achieve is a betrayal, they have no morals when it comes to pensions, as highlighted by the frozen pension situation. Really is a question of "I'm all right Jack".

On 8/19/2019 at 11:47 AM, mommysboy said:

I see a Gov think tank is recommending a rise in retirement age to 70 by 2028, and 75 by 2038.  

You have to laugh, if it happens it would mean I've been bounced up twice!  It's just random chance, but I don't think today's pensioners realize they've lived in a golden age.

Re golden age..I had to pay 44 years Nat ins to qualify for full state pension..How many years do you have to pay if you are still of working age?..ps my pension is frozen at 95 pounds weekly as the court of hu

man rights decided that my state pension is 'A government benefit'...

8 hours ago, p414 said:

Re golden age..I had to pay 44 years Nat ins to qualify for full state pension..How many years do you have to pay if you are still of working age?..ps my pension is frozen at 95 pounds weekly as the court of hu

Officially, it's 35 years to qualify for the full state pension, but my retirement age is 67 (for now).  In effect then, I am working til that age, and I'll be paying NI contributions way beyond the 35 required.  

23 hours ago, p414 said:

And why did they agree with Tony Blair on this point ,could it have been that he brought the Human rights court to Britain so his bitch of a wife could make a fortune out of "uman rights" through her company .

Update re 'Votes for life'

ICBP have confirmed that the 'votes for life' legislation currently passing through Parliament 'has stalled'. With a GE on the horizon this isn't good news & nor will the continued disenfranchisement help overturn the 'Frozen' saga.

This hasn't come as a surprise. Writing to our MPs is unlikely to change anything but I will nonetheless do so before Monday & CC to the newly created veterans minister as a fair number of veterans worldwide are effected & their plight (IMO) should be included in his remit.

Eva

37 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Update re 'Votes for life'

ICBP have confirmed that the 'votes for life' legislation currently passing through Parliament 'has stalled'. With a GE on the horizon this isn't good news & nor will the continued disenfranchisement help overturn the 'Frozen' saga.

This hasn't come as a surprise. Writing to our MPs is unlikely to change anything but I will nonetheless do so before Monday & CC to the newly created veterans minister as a fair number of veterans worldwide are effected & their plight (IMO) should be included in his remit.

Eva

It's just not a popular cause.  Honestly, I believe the problem might have been at least partially solved with simply agreeing yearly increment without backdating.  But a lot of 'old soldiers' would never accept that. 

Would you?

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's just not a popular cause.  Honestly, I believe the problem might have been at least partially solved with simply agreeing yearly increment without backdating.  But a lot of 'old soldiers' would never accept that. 

I was referring to having their votes restored.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Would you?

In a flash I would accept that.

I believe that it is better to have a little of something than a whole lot of nothing. I would be quite happy to get the index linked pension than to try to get all of the backdated pensions and get nothing.

And why did they agree with Tony Blair on this point ,could it have been that he brought the Human rights court to Britain so his bitch of a wife could make a fortune out of "uman rights" through her company .

I once met her in 10 Downing Street and she’s even more ugly in real life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been in touch with the HMRC this week and to receive the UK *second grade * pension of currently 100 Pound a week , you have to have paid *grade 2 * national  insurance for 10 years (which is about 150 Pounds a year) and you can do it all online , but you will need a UK address and phone number .

The full pension, you need 35 years of contributions 

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

I didn't think that was possible with only one head! ????

How's this for "No new agreements"?

Uprating guarantee for UK State Pension recipients living in EU

Now being picked up by this Guardian article. Not exactly being consistent in their treatment of  non UK  based pensioners. But what's new......

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/sep/01/government-branded-immoral-over-pensions-of-uk-citizens-in-eu

I had an email from the frozen pensions campaign today and they are picking up on a recent comment.

On Sunday, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Amber Rudd MP said that the 500,000 Brits living in the EU receive a full UK state pension because ‘they’ve helped make our country the success it is’. We believe that this should apply to all UK pensioners, regardless of where they live. 

They are asking again that people email their MP or the S of S. Unlikely to have any great effect but in this case I think worth the few minutes as this statement must create a certain amount of embarrassment for the government. She seems to think that those that live outside the UK and EU had no part to play.

If you do not have a UK postcode you can use the link at the bottom to the S of S.

https://endfrozenpensions.org/find-your-mp/

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I had an email from the frozen pensions campaign today and they are picking up on a recent comment.

On Sunday, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Amber Rudd MP said that the 500,000 Brits living in the EU receive a full UK state pension because ‘they’ve helped make our country the success it is’. We believe that this should apply to all UK pensioners, regardless of where they live. 

They are asking again that people email their MP or the S of S. Unlikely to have any great effect but in this case I think worth the few minutes as this statement must create a certain amount of embarrassment for the government. She seems to think that those that live outside the UK and EU had no part to play.

If you do not have a UK postcode you can use the link at the bottom to the S of S.

https://endfrozenpensions.org/find-your-mp/

I signed the letter to the SoS and sent it off this morning.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, evadgib said:

But only for the next 3 years, though. Thereafter it cannot, of course, be ruled out that their pensions will be frozen as well - in which case it would result in some sort of perverse level playing field with us State Pensioners living in LOS, I suppose!

On 9/7/2019 at 10:41 PM, OJAS said:

But only for the next 3 years, though. Thereafter it cannot, of course, be ruled out that their pensions will be frozen as well - in which case it would result in some sort of perverse level playing field with us State Pensioners living in LOS, I suppose!

There is not much chance of that coming about, there is a lot more tied up in the agreement than pensions. The UK is not going to risk the EU expats getting up in arms and potentially returning to the UK. The rest of us that have been paying our own way for years on end are not perceived as a problem of the same magnitude.

You can almost see the EU expats from Dover, the rest of us are thousands of miles away, out of sight out of mind.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:00 AM, sandyf said:

There is not much chance of that coming about, there is a lot more tied up in the agreement than pensions. The UK is not going to risk the EU expats getting up in arms and potentially returning to the UK. The rest of us that have been paying our own way for years on end are not perceived as a problem of the same magnitude.

You can almost see the EU expats from Dover, the rest of us are thousands of miles away, out of sight out of mind.

The 'votes for life' bill died at the prorogation last night & will need to start all over again. If it had passed it (5M+ disenfranchised Brits worldwide) might have made a difference in the forthcoming election.

This, along with the 'Frozen' debate, reminds me yet again of playing

Image result for snakes and ladders

as a kid ????

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

The 'votes for life' bill died at the prorogation last night & will need to start all over again. If it had passed it (5M+ disenfranchised Brits worldwide) might have made a difference in the forthcoming election.

This, along with the 'Frozen' debate, reminds me yet again of playing

Image result for snakes and ladders

as a kid ????

Quite, but many brexiteers seemed to think that prorogation was another word for recess.

The government only ever paid lip service to the concept, they did not introduce the bill, it was a private members bill which made it a bit of a long shot from day one.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

Just wait until they follow the rules of some other countries. Have to be in-country for minimum 6 months a year to receive any pension! That will surely come one day.

Just look at how quickly they removed Bereavement benefits from the Thai wives and children of deceased expats. Barely 2 years notice given!.

Hiya prakhonchai nick,

Can you post details relating to bereavement benefits being withdraw please.

I am at present enquiring about the latest requirements for widows in the home country thread of which I have asked if it could possibly be transferred to here.

Thank you

Busby

On 9/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, sanemax said:

Just been in touch with the HMRC this week and to receive the UK *second grade * pension of currently 100 Pound a week , you have to have paid *grade 2 * national  insurance for 10 years (which is about 150 Pounds a year) and you can do it all online , but you will need a UK address and phone number .

The full pension, you need 35 years of contributions 

i think you mean class 2 national insurance ( self employed) contributions, so 10 years of contributions with give you a  10/35 pension

a link to the online pages would be nice

Recieved today:

transparent.gif

5cf9376f-a215-41a9-8c00-3a1192b885dc.jpg

Dear ICBP Supporter,

The Express On-line has published an article about frozen pensioner, Monica Philip, from Antigua.  She was one of the 'Windrush generation' who emigrated, along with her sister, to the U.K. at the invitation of the U.K. government.  37 years later she returned to Antigua to look after her ailing mother.  Her sister remained in the U.K..  The disparity between their pensions is a perfect illustration of the unfairness of frozen pensions.

As usual, there is a poll and we need as many people as possible to vote as, at the moment, there are too many people voting for the status quo.

Here is the link to the article  -  https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1174779/retirement-and-me-state-pension-amount-age-frozen-how-much

Scroll down the article to the poll.

Thanks for your help.

John J Duffy - Chairman, ICBP

Archived