UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we getting the full story here?. Surely if they left the UK and worked in Australia they would have some sort of pension from the Australian government.

I know for a fact if you leave Australia and come to Thailand you get zero as a friend we back 3 months ago for that very reason

36 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

Are we getting the full story here?. Surely if they left the UK and worked in Australia they would have some sort of pension from the Australian government.

I know for a fact if you leave Australia and come to Thailand you get zero as a friend we back 3 months ago for that very reason

'British Pensions in Australia' is a bit of a give away.

• 2 weeks later...

Copy of an email sent to CABP that accompanied a proxy form returned recently. The meeting to which it refers is their annual gathering which (according to their chairman in his newsletter) wasn't well attended last year.

Dear CABP,

Please find completed proxy form attached. I have two suggestions:

1. Could you not stream the event in order to boost attendance (Chairmans letter) by members who cannot travel or like me are based elsewhere? If this isn't possible how about a podcast via youtube?

2. I'm a member of both CABP and BPiA but don't live in either country. Can I suggest ICBP consider a 'one size/fits all' category allowing membership of both organisations with an option to pay in sterling via a UK account instead of paying twice (Jan and May) in local currencies as is currently the case? Note: My point here is one of convenience; I am not in the least bit concerned about the actual payment or donations as I firmly believe it is money well spent!

I hope this feedback proves useful & very much appreciate all that you are doing for the 550k that are caught up in this.

Sincerely,      

Not sure if to post here or not, but it is pension related so here goes. This morning received letter from DWP advising me from the 5th April 2020 that the dependents allowance ceases. In my case this will be 57.05 pounds per week. Anybody else received this letter.

8 minutes ago, khastan said:

Not sure if to post here or not, but it is pension related so here goes. This morning received letter from DWP advising me from the 5th April 2020 that the dependents allowance ceases and I will loose 57.05 pounds per week. Anybody else received this letter.

Not yet.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, evadgib said:

Copy of an email sent to CABP that accompanied a proxy form returned recently. The meeting to which it refers is their annual gathering which (according to their chairman in his newsletter) wasn't well attended last year.

Update:

The Chairman of CABP is looking into the 'techie' aspect of my enquiry.

I was shocked to learn just how few have signed up to both organisations.

15 hours ago, khastan said:

Not sure if to post here or not, but it is pension related so here goes. This morning received letter from DWP advising me from the 5th April 2020 that the dependents allowance ceases. In my case this will be 57.05 pounds per week. Anybody else received this letter.

I've yet to receive the letter, but read about this in a brochure they sent me with last year's Proof of Life form.

I read some while ago that, when it is abolished, the basic pension flat rate will be increased; but of course that will not be so for The Frozen Ones.

So, after 3 years of a 30-35% exchange rate loss, thanks to Brexit, my pension will be permanently reduced by 35% too.

So lucky to be a British pensioner eh?

I've yet to receive the letter, but read about this in a brochure they sent me with last year's Proof of Life form.
I read some while ago that, when it is abolished, the basic pension flat rate will be increased; but of course that will not be so for The Frozen Ones.

So, after 3 years of a 30-35% exchange rate loss, thanks to Brexit, my pension will be permanently reduced by 35% too.

Someone has to pay for all the ‘freeloaders’ !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwood

I read some while ago that, when it is abolished, the basic pension flat rate will be increased; but of course that will not be so for The Frozen Ones.

So, after 3 years of a 30-35% exchange rate loss, thanks to Brexit, my pension will be permanently reduced by 35% too.

I did not know they intend to increase the normal pension to compensate for the the loss of income. Of course that does not apply to those with frozen pensions. That means the UK will be operating a three tier pension system not a two one, has they do at present. The letter states "Nothing is changing right now . We are letting you know about the future change now so you can think about making plans" I cannot think what plans they mean. Perhaps they want all the expats that will loose more than a third of their income after the 5th April 2020 to return to the UK and claim what is rightfully theirs from the UK government.

43 minutes ago, khastan said:

elwood

I read some while ago that, when it is abolished, the basic pension flat rate will be increased; but of course that will not be so for The Frozen Ones.

So, after 3 years of a 30-35% exchange rate loss, thanks to Brexit, my pension will be permanently reduced by 35% too.

I did not know they intend to increase the normal pension to compensate for the the loss of income. Of course that does not apply to those with frozen pensions. That means the UK will be operating a three tier pension system not a two one, has they do at present. The letter states "Nothing is changing right now . We are letting you know about the future change now so you can think about making plans" I cannot think what plans they mean. Perhaps they want all the expats that will loose more than a third of their income after the 5th April 2020 to return to the UK and claim what is rightfully theirs from the UK government.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific regarding the proposed increase in basic pension. It was some time back that I read an article on a newspaper website.

It was when the government/chancellor was considering yet another change in the pensions system. However, I am fairly sure that  140 gbp was mentioned as a possible flat rate to ease the pain, which of course would not include the likes of us.

I should have kept the article for reference,  but didn't believe that even this current government could be such ruthless bastards when dealing with pensions.

Silly me!!

2 hours ago, elwood said:

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific regarding the proposed increase in basic pension. It was some time back that I read an article on a newspaper website.

It was when the government/chancellor was considering yet another change in the pensions system. However, I am fairly sure that  140 gbp was mentioned as a possible flat rate to ease the pain, which of course would not include the likes of us.

I should have kept the article for reference,  but didn't believe that even this current government could be such ruthless bastards when dealing with pensions.

Silly me!!

I got mine for my wife back in 2009 when Gordon Brown was PM and Labour was in power. I was told back then that it would be phased out in 2020.

Posted 1 hour ago
elwood

It was when the government/chancellor was considering yet another change in the pensions system. However, I am fairly sure that 140 gbp was mentioned as a possible flat rate to ease the pain, which of course would not include the likes of us.

I should have kept the article for reference, but didn't believe that even this current government could be such ruthless bastards when dealing with pensions.

Silly me!!

No worry's but I think you may be referring to the new higher rate of pension being paid to people who retired after a certain date. I think this started at the rate of 140.00 and is now 168.60 " The State Pension changed on 6 April 2016 for men born on or after 6 April 1951 and women born on or after 6 April 1953." People born before that date receive a much less basic state pension. The excuse for this anomaly is that people born before the 6th April qualified for the so called additional state pension. "The old rules (which include basic State Pension and Additional State Pension) were complicated, making it difficult to know how much you’d get until you were close to State Pension age. With the new State Pension, people will know from a much younger age how much they’re likely to get, providing a solid base for their saving and retirement planning." This statement alone should tell you that very few people born before these dates get anywhere near the higher pension rate has a basic state pension.

With regards to your comments about the morals and integrity of the government of the day regarding how they treat pensioners I agree 100% with your comments. I could say much more but suspect it would get me banned!
I got mine for my wife back in 2009 when Gordon Brown was PM and Labour was in power. I was told back then that it would be phased out in 2020.
Yup,and it was his predesesor Blair the labour pm who faught right up to the court of human rights to ensure that us pensioners living here did not get yearly rises. So much for labour being the party of the working man.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nigel Evans, MP for the Ribble Valley, has called on whoever takes the reigns as Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party to uprate the frozen pensions of Brits abroad. All British pensioners who have made National Insurance contributions during their working lives are entitled to a British state pension regardless of where they choose to live. However, 4% of recipients of the UK state pension are denied their full pension because of policy that prevents their pensions being uprated in line with inflation.

https://www.nigel-evans.org.uk/news/nigel-evans-urges-new-prime-minister-tackle-frozen-pensions

Nigel Evans, MP for the Ribble Valley, has called on whoever takes the reigns as Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party to uprate the frozen pensions of Brits abroad. All British pensioners who have made National Insurance contributions during their working lives are entitled to a British state pension regardless of where they choose to live. However, 4% of recipients of the UK state pension are denied their full pension because of policy that prevents their pensions being uprated in line with inflation.

https://www.nigel-evans.org.uk/news/nigel-evans-urges-new-prime-minister-tackle-frozen-pensions
I do not believe it will ever happen they are trying to cut pensions as low as they can ,but i apploud him for trying.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I got this email this morning.  

Dear ICBP Supporter,

Once again Express Newspapers have written an article in support of our campaign.  As before, they have included an opinion poll and we encourage you to vote.

Click here for the article - https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1137648/state-pension-uk-frozen-overseas-amount-full

I know that some of you had difficulty in accessing the voting area in the previous article but please persevere and get as many votes as possible.  The more pressure we can apply to the government, the more likely we are to succeed.

John J Duffy, Chairman ICBP

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1137648/state-pension-uk-frozen-overseas-amount-full

STATE pensioner Anne Puckridge, 94, is a World War Two veteran, spending much of her later years fighting against frozen overseas state pensions. Now, she’s calling on Prime Minister Theresa May to meet with her to discuss the End Frozen Pensions campaign.

Personal Finance News
State pension frozen overseas: WW2 veteran recalls shock discovery DAYS before leaving UK
STATE pensioner Anne Puckridge, 94, is a World War Two veteran, spending much of her later years fighting against frozen overseas state pensions. Now, she’s calling on Prime Minister Theresa May to meet with her to discuss the End Frozen Pensions campaign.
By JESS SHELDON
PUBLISHED: 04:01, Sat, Jun 8, 2019 | UPDATED: 09:25, Sat, Jun 8, 2019

What is the State Pension?
Play
Mute
Current Time 
0:45
/
Duration 
0:55

Facebook
Twitter
Fullscreen
It was supposed to be an exciting time for Anne Puckridge, then 76. She had sold her house, she’d alerted the Department of Work and Pensions to her retirement plans, and she was just days away from moving to Canada to live close to her daughter. But days away from making the move thousands of miles across the ocean, Anne found out the years of retirement she was so looking forward to enjoying, may not pan out as she had planned. It was a neighbour who had previously lived in Canada that alerted her, she says for the first time, to the fact that her state pension payments would not be uprated each year while living over there.

Sadly, at the end of the day this topic is of little/no interest to the average uk voter - so politicians have no interest in fighting too hard on the issue. ☹️

Anne Puckridge's case may briefly touch the heart of voters - but they also think (IMO) that the vast majority who do so are wealthy.

Regardless, it's not their immediate problem so, understandably, they don't much care.

59 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sadly, at the end of the day this topic is of little/no interest to the average uk voter - so politicians have no interest in fighting too hard on the issue. ☹️

Anne Puckridge's case may briefly touch the heart of voters - but they also think (IMO) that the vast majority who do so are wealthy.

Regardless, it's not their immediate problem so, understandably, they don't much care.

Yes whenever you see something about pensioners abroad in the British news ,they always look young and fit ,running down a tropical beach ,or the other week i saw one with two pensioners cycling in the sun ,so we will never get rises.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Keeping it in the public eye via whatever means is the least any of us can do from here and is relatively easy, but what the consortium really needs is financial support which is why I joined CABP and BPiA (collectively part of the ICBP ) years ago. Anyone caught up in this or likely to be in the future (i'm not yet 60) should seriously think about doing same.

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Keeping it in the public eye via whatever means is the least any of us can do from here and is relatively easy, but what the consortium really needs is financial support which is why I joined CABP and BPiA (collectively part of the ICBP ) years ago. Anyone caught up in this or likely to be in the future (i'm not yet 60) should seriously think about doing same.

I don't think it matters much as long as the uk electorate don't consider it to be their problem.

From an email from the ICBP this morning.

Dear ICBP Supporter,

Recently, Nigel Evans MP questioned, in the House of Commons, ICBP's public enemy No.1, Guy Opperman, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Pensions and Financial Inclusion (an oxymoron if there ever was one) as to the justification for frozen pensions and received the standard DWP answer (a parrot could have done better).

Nigel Evans is MP for Ribble Valley in Lancashire and he would like to know of any frozen pensioners who have lived at any time in Lancashire in general and Ribble Valley in particular.

Please let me know if you come from Lancashire or if any of your family and friends still live there or have lived there in the past.

Past and present associations with MPs' local areas are of immense value when getting them to argue for the cause.

John J Duffy, Chairman ICBP

I started receiving my Old Age Pension last October, The only correspondence I received was my initial invitation to claim letter. I am concerned that if they send me, via snail mail, a Proof of Life form, I am unlikely to receive it. Do they issue a "P60" or equivalent to show annual income for my income tax return? 

4 hours ago, stereolab said:

I started receiving my Old Age Pension last October, The only correspondence I received was my initial invitation to claim letter. I am concerned that if they send me, via snail mail, a Proof of Life form, I am unlikely to receive it. Do they issue a "P60" or equivalent to show annual income for my income tax return? 

IIRC the state pension is not taxed provided it is below the personal tax allowance. If you have other pension(s) the HMRC will adjust the tax code on those, always ensuring that the state pension remains untaxed.

The proof of life form will be sent to your registered address and they would like a reply within 3 months from the date of posting.

If you get one with only a short life on it, contact the DWP quickly and they will acknowledge that you have received it and there should not be a problem as you will get an extension to complete it.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

IIRC the state pension is not taxed provided it is below the personal tax allowance. If you have other pension(s) the HMRC will adjust the tax code on those, always ensuring that the state pension remains untaxed.

The proof of life form will be sent to your registered address and they would like a reply within 3 months from the date of posting.

If you get one with only a short life on it, contact the DWP quickly and they will acknowledge that you have received it and there should not be a problem as you will get an extension to complete it.

I also receive an RAF pension, so there will be a tax element, I was hoping to file my online tax return this month. I may just reflect the actual monies received + the Equiniti P60 figures. 

Of interest to the board 

The NHS fraud squad is investigating GPs in England amid suspicions they are claiming for non-existent patients.

Doctors get £150 a year for each patient on their list, but records show there were 3.6 million more patients in the system last year than there were people in England.

The discrepancy prompted NHS England to employ a company to start chasing up these so-called ghost patients.

9 minutes ago, stereolab said:

I also receive an RAF pension, so there will be a tax element, I was hoping to file my online tax return this month. I may just reflect the actual monies received + the Equiniti P60 figures. 

The RAF pension is the one they will use to adjust your tax code the same as they do mine.

My 3rd pension (a company pension is set at BR basic rate).

Archived