• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

On 8/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, champers said:

I think Pep will walk and go to Barca, citing family reasons as much as football ones. By the end of this week.

Poch will replace him and Harry Kane will be his big signing.

Anymore predictions from your almanac you'd like to share with us Nostradamus?

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Anymore predictions from your almanac you'd like to share with us Nostradamus?

Bolton to win League 2. Charlie Adam now in training, ex team mate of manager Evatt at Blackpool.

I don't think Koeman will last long at Barca. Binned off by Valencia and Everton in pretty short order.

13 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I did like the lad but yeah, he couldn't cross a ball for toffee 

You're not wrong, about as good as Walker at crossing.

See he's played over 700 career games, holds Sevilla's record for most competitive appearances, plays fullback (seem to remember him occasionally rightback or wingback for us), is club captain and

the club's training ground has been renamed Estadio Jesús Navas in recognition of his professional career. Boy done good.

• Like 1

Think you may well have Messi in the bag, which is potentially worrying. 

I think we might have had a chance, but the one thing nobody is mentioning is the Ronaldo factor. I just can't see Messi coming to the club where Ronaldo made his mark.

Good interview on Radio 5 last

night with Guillem Ballaque who says City are nailed on to sign him. 

He said Messi has made his mind up about leaving and according to BBC reports today his reps are already over in discussions. 

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Good interview on Radio 5 last

night with Guillem Ballaque who says City are nailed on to sign him. 

He said Messi has made his mind up about leaving and according to BBC reports today his reps are already over in discussions. 

If he comes it could go one of 2 ways... they actually start to dominate again, this time on all fronts.... or he might not quite live up to expectations (that is, the expectations we have of an all time great).

Let's paint a picture of the circus which could begin next season. Pep already overshadows City in terms of his profile, but this will really become 'The Messi' show. Can you begin to imagine the spotlight on him? I'm not sure that much focus on one player will be healthy for City, or at least be the right formula to win the league.

And I am not a subscriber to the 'Messi couldn't hack it in the PL' theory, but he could have less help from referees and get kicked even more than he does in La Liga. 

Then there is the question of acclimitisation for a player that came to Barca as a teenager and has been there ever since.

Will be fascinating to find out. 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

If he comes it could go one of 2 ways... they actually start to dominate again, this time on all fronts.... or he might not quite live up to expectations (that is, the expectations we have of an all time great).

Let's paint a picture of the circus which could begin next season. Pep already overshadows City in terms of his profile, but this will really become 'The Messi' show. Can you begin to imagine the spotlight on him? I'm not sure that much focus on one player will be healthy for City, or at least be the right formula to win the league.

And I am not a subscriber to the 'Messi couldn't hack it in the PL' theory, but he could have less help from referees and get kicked even more than he does in La Liga. 

Then there is the question of acclimitisation for a player that came to Barca as a teenager and has been there ever since.

Will be fascinating to find out. 

He knows Pep and the backroom staff  but according to GB he and Pep although didn’t exactly fall out when he left Barca they didn’t speak for a while. Something around they having some kind of agreement that Pep would hang on and he and Messi would follow to wherever. Out of the blue Pep announced he was leaving. 

Again only what GB was saying and supposedly in his biography. 

Another comment was Messi was trying to get Neymar to come back and said he would become the main man and that was interpreted as Messi saying he was considering stepping back and at 33 there are questions around how he could perform physically in the PL. 

For me it would be great to see him here wherever he plays. Maybe past his true best but nevertheless still will add enough to city to be the possible missing link to winning the CL. 

17 minutes ago, champers said:

Would love to see Messi here; 5 years previous more so. Big buddies with Aguero apparently - how would you slot both of them into the City team? Will Foden be knocked back a peg or two?

They've not exactly set the world alight for Argentina, but I rate more highly than a lot of the Argie bosses.

It's just annoying to have the Ronaldo link or I think United would be in with a shout. I hope what Kadilo says about not being on good terms with Pep is true, and as for PSG, does he really want to at against cannon fodder every week?

Is Pedro still playing for Chelsea? Maybe that could be a way in for them.

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

They've not exactly set the world alight for Argentina, but I rate more highly than a lot of the Argie bosses.

It's just annoying to have the Ronaldo link or I think United would be in with a shout. I hope what Kadilo says about not being on good terms with Pep is true, and as for PSG, does he really want to at against cannon fodder every week?

GB was pretty clear in his view City would be the only club that could get him. He even dismissed the likes of Inter. The only other poss could be PSG. Imagine that front 3. 

I’m not sure how much he is in the know but he seems pretty close to him. That said he predicted all sorts re Poch which never happened. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Pedro has left Chelsea. I think he is Italy bound.

The Ronaldo thing seems like history but it is what it is if Messi believes it to be.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Pedro has left Chelsea. I think he is Italy bound.

The Ronaldo thing seems like history but it is what it is if Messi believes it to be.

I've heard Bolton are making a late swoop. They've managed to put up a pint of bitter and two packets of pork scratchings. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Garry Barry retired today. Amazing career, amazing stats. Loved him at City, he did the unglamourous labouring for Yaya and the rest but they and fans know it. The Alan Oakes of the 2010s for us.

Very good pro, but if we are talking title winning holding midfielders of the 2010s I'd put him behind Kante, Carrick, Fernandinho and Matic.. and maybe slightly ahead of Henderson.

59 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Garry Barry retired today. Amazing career, amazing stats. Loved him at City, he did the unglamourous labouring for Yaya and the rest but they and fans know it. The Alan Oakes of the 2010s for us.

Strikes me as the sort of guy who may make a good coach or number 2. 

15 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Dare I ask how the <deleted> can any team afford Messi, especially in the current downturn in tickets etc. 

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Dare I ask how the <deleted> can any team afford Messi, especially in the current downturn in tickets etc. 

If Barca still insist on the 700m, then no club can afford it. I personally can't see a deal getting over the line. I would love him at City and to be fair, I would love it if any PL club got him. It would be pretty special having him play in the PL week-in, week-out. IMO of course

• Like 2