The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

21 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

In total control but I still get nervy when we don't see it off

Same here. Pep mentioned that they continue to struggle with being more clinical in the final third. It is definitely an issue. Having a healthy Aguero and/or Jesus could help.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

In total control

Sheff had some big chances.

I also think Torres looked every inch a converted striker who isn't strong enough to hold the ball up. When does a 'false 9' just become a player who can't do that job?

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Sheff had some big chances.

I also think Torres looked every inch a converted striker who isn't strong enough to hold the ball up. When does a 'false 9' just become a player who can't do that job?

I thought SUFC had 2 chances: A cross which was hit over the bar when he should have scored and the 1v1 when he tried to chip Ederson.

Great 1st half. Too open and nervy 2nd.

I thought Torres did great in the last 2 games as a winger playing out of position upfront against 3 CBs. Mahrez on  the other hand wasn't at the races AGAIN. My biggest criticism of Pep is he's too loyal to players and when it's clear a substitution(s) would help, he's late to do so. Mahrez should have been off early doors, Foden should have been on soon (should have started - should start every game, we're better with him in).

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

My biggest criticism of Pep is he's too loyal to players and when it's clear a substitution(s) would help, he's late to do so. Mahrez should have been off early doors, Foden should have been on soon (should have started - should start every game, we're better with him in).

Bit harsh on Pep there BB. I don't disagree with you on Mahrez but he has to manage the fitness and well being of the players. We play again on tuesday in the CL. So although I'd love us to score 5 goals every game, the 3 points are the most imoortant thing to get and we got it. I'm not going to be too harsh on any manager at the moment, especially those teams who are also managing european comps as well

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I thought Torres did great in the last 2 games as a winger playing out of position upfront against 3 CBs. Mahrez on  the other hand wasn't at the races AGAIN. My biggest criticism of Pep is he's too loyal to players and when it's clear a substitution(s) would help, he's late to do so. Mahrez should have been off early doors, Foden should have been on soon (should have started - should start every game, we're better with him in).

Yeah I agree for a winger it was an admirable effort. I guess my point is he looks very much a winger playing there rather than a long term solution. 

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course over 90 minutes every team should have at least a chance but that's all they only managed. 1 shot on target compared to our 8 and 35% possession.

I got the impression SU didn't want to score...or at least their wide players didn't. Shearer went on about it on MOTD and (for once) he was 100% correct. They wouldn't put the ball in the box despite having strikers there. I feel quite sorry for Brewster. He must be wondering what kind of outfit he has joined. Have seen both his games now and I don't think he has had a chance created as yet!

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Of course over 90 minutes every team should have at least a chance but that's all they only managed. 1 shot on target compared to our 8 and 35% possession.

We all know possession doesn't tell the whole story. They could have easily got something out of the game (as you could have won by more).

Sterling looked frustrated that you were getting the final ball wrong. Silva is still going strong over in La Liga I wonder if you could have convinced him to play another season.

Overall you are still title challengers and this season is looking wide open at present, with some surprise packages and certain other teams coming back into form.

Today will be a hard game for us. A win would be massive.

21 minutes ago, wilai said:

I got the impression SU didn't want to score...or at least their wide players didn't. Shearer went on about it on MOTD and (for once) he was 100% correct. They wouldn't put the ball in the box despite having strikers there. I feel quite sorry for Brewster. He must be wondering what kind of outfit he has joined. Have seen both his games now and I don't think he has had a chance created as yet!

He had a great chance...and blew it when it was probably easier to score...lack of confidence or ability?

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

We all know possession doesn't tell the whole story. They could have easily got something out of the game (as you could have won by more).

Yeah you are right, many times teams do a smash and grab against the play which is why I said I was nervy. But we did control the game and should have banged more in to see them off.

I am also getting a lot more relaxed now our defence are forming partnerships Dias and Laporte are looking like they are gelling already with Ake about to come back. I think Stones may need to find a different club

39 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

He had a great chance...and blew it when it was probably easier to score...lack of confidence or ability?

Didn't notice that.....neither did the MOTD cameras as it wasn't on the telly this am either.

8 minutes ago, wilai said:

Didn't notice that.....neither did the MOTD cameras as it wasn't on the telly this am either.

Understood, thought you'd watched live. He had a 1 on 1 with Ederson when he was through (looked offside) and chose to chip when would have been better to hit it either side of Ederson or go round Ederson. Also almost got his head on a cross but it was just to high for him. He didn't stand out to be honest, hence my confidence comment.

52 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah you are right, many times teams do a smash and grab against the play which is why I said I was nervy. But we did control the game and should have banged more in to see them off.

I am also getting a lot more relaxed now our defence are forming partnerships Dias and Laporte are looking like they are gelling already with Ake about to come back. I think Stones may need to find a different club

Early days, but Dias looking very decent and easily the equal of Laporte. In games where we know we will have to be very solid, I'd pick Walker..Dias..Laporte..Ake.

Notice the media as now picked up on Walkers very decent consistent form..better late than never. One thing Walker has to stop doing is shaping to jump for a header but not jumping...One day he'll come unstuck with that. But I feel very confident with Walker..Dias..Laporte.

City's 2nd goalie (the yank) was out injured, Carson pulled out in the warm-up so 4th choice goalie 18yr old James Trafford was on the bench - the day before he played in the FA Youth semi 4v0 win vs Blackburn. Could have been interesting if Ederson was injured.

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Understood, thought you'd watched live. He had a 1 on 1 with Ederson when he was through (looked offside) and chose to chip when would have been better to hit it either side of Ederson or go round Ederson. Also almost got his head on a cross but it was just to high for him. He didn't stand out to be honest, hence my confidence comment.

Aah that one. Yes he was offside...... "easier to score"?......don't think much of your keeper do you????.

Strikers need goals to build confidence so he will definitely be short of it. Problem he will have is that unless SU's wide players go back to crossing early, there's not much chance of him getting many chances. Unless yesterday was a one off and they wanted to hold onto the ball to keep the score down.

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Aah that one. Yes he was offside...... "easier to score"?......don't think much of your keeper do you????.

Strikers need goals to build confidence so he will definitely be short of it. Problem he will have is that unless SU's wide players go back to crossing early, there's not much chance of him getting many chances. Unless yesterday was a one off and they wanted to hold onto the ball to keep the score down.

I think a lot of Ederson, very decent goalkeeper. Think RB had a 'Sterling': "too many options, what should i do...<deleted>!"

47 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Early days, but Dias looking very decent and easily the equal of Laporte. In games where we know we will have to be very solid, I'd pick Walker..Dias..Laporte..Ake.

Yep. I'm very good with that line up. Walker is playing out of his skin at the moment

Good week for the club.

City's Womens team retained the FA Cup beating Everton on Sunday.

Yesterday, City's u18s won the FA Youth cup beating our nemesis Chelsea 3v2. We'd lost 4 of the past 5 finals (3 to Chelsea). Keep an eye on Cole Palmer - looks a real talent. Our first win since 2008 (Mee, Trippier, Boyota, Sturridge, Weiss).

Youth winners last 10 seasons:

Chelsea × 6 (finalist 8 times!)

ManU x 1

Norwich  x 1

Liverpool x 1

City x 1 (finalist 5 times)

Fully expect LFC to destroy city this weekend. Already seeing them putting distance between themselves and other teams and this team with Jota in will now move up a gear. 3 hungry forwards in SMJ equals big problems for all the wannabes. LFC will move up a gear and absolutely destroy mC

On 11/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Good week for the club.

City's Womens team retained the FA Cup beating Everton on Sunday.

Yesterday, City's u18s won the FA Youth cup beating our nemesis Chelsea 3v2. We'd lost 4 of the past 5 finals (3 to Chelsea). Keep an eye on Cole Palmer - looks a real talent. Our first win since 2008 (Mee, Trippier, Boyota, Sturridge, Weiss).

Youth winners last 10 seasons:

Chelsea × 6 (finalist 8 times!)

ManU x 1

Norwich  x 1

Liverpool x 1

City x 1 (finalist 5 times)

Just read The Athletic's article on City's youth team and the youth system in general. Some interesting points.

1. Seven of City's starting XI that triumphed on Monday are from Greater Manchester and have already been at the club for around 10 years. Four of City’s starting line-up have already made their senior debuts, all of them English and three of those local. Only one of City’s starters, Senegal youth international Alpha Dionkou, was born overseas.

[Contrary to the perception is City's youth is full of imported players]

2. According to figures in Michael Calvin’s book No Hunger in Paradise, less than 0.5 per cent of nine-year-olds who sign for any club’s academy go on to make the first team, three-quarters are released between the ages of 13 and 16 and only two per cent of those who do get contracts at 16 end up playing in one of England’s top five leagues by the time they’re 18. The success rate, he estimates, of a youngster becoming a Premier League player is 0.012 per cent.
[Have a look at the wiki page for FA Youth Finals and some of the team lineups.  There's always a few for every finalist who've gone on professionally but more who haven't]

28 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Fully expect LFC to destroy city this weekend. Already seeing them putting distance between themselves and other teams and this team with Jota in will now move up a gear. 3 hungry forwards in SMJ equals big problems for all the wannabes. LFC will move up a gear and absolutely destroy mC

How many you predicting this week, another 7 ?

Archived