The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Doesn't the name "Jack Hna" sound like a busted pedophile in an old episode of Hawaii Five-O?

His style is not dissimilar to the Brummie Liverpool fan who used to strut his stuff on these pages: RC2702?

23 minutes ago, champers said:

His style is not dissimilar to the Brummie Liverpool fan who used to strut his stuff on these pages: RC2702?

Yeah, that's distant enough that I don't remember him well. I do note that I still have him on "ignore".:coffee1:

Not an unfair result I suppose, but would have liked to have seen that KDB PK go in.

What is this love affair that Pep has with Bernardo? The little weirdo did nothing but tap one backpass after another his entire time on the pitch. Meanwhile Foden never gets in the game. Mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Don't worry. They'll bottle it in the closing games. It's a Spurs trait

I don't know mate. Jose looks like the manager to give them that steel they need.

However they are still outsiders, but they have to be taken seriously now.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know mate. Jose looks like the manager to give them that steel they need.

However they are still outsiders, but they have to be taken seriously now.

First indication of who will win is in January...same every season.

Thought Liverpool started really well for around 20-25 mins, while we were poor, struggled to cope, we just couldn't get out, Gundogan and Rodri in particular were being hounded out of possession, all we could do was pass it along the backline. 

Another clumsy soft penalty given away; on first viewing i thought penalty, though Mane was happy to go down. 

Immediately preceding the Mane incident, i thought that when Sterling was fouled outside the box and and no advantage developed as he tried to play on and not go down but ended up losing control of the ball and his balance in the box due to the foul, that the ref should have gone back to the foul and given us a freekick, but no bother, it is what it is.   
Can see why players don't stay on their feet.

At that point and based on our poor showing i thought Liverpool would go on to win it by a couple. 

We adjusted, worked our way back in to it, an excellent move and goal from Jesus (anyone who watches Jesus has seen that flick before several times) - he did really well to last as long as he did in his first full game back. 

I thought it was a handball and a penalty BASED ON CURRENT interpretation of the stupid handball law, but all of us who follow football know that it wasn't really handball as we know it - go back to 'ball to hand' = not handball, 'hand to ball' = handball.

Torres wasn't in the game; played out of position upfront for two games and was great, plays in his favoured right wing position and didn't impact the game. Thought the sub of Bernardo for him later in the match was a good one as Bernardo was able to retain the ball and put some effort in to win back the lose ball.

Foden should have come on when Liverpool were tiring and especially when TAA went off and Milner came on.

Last 60 minutes i thought City were better team though Liverpool had short periods. Recently we've had a decent 1st half and then wilted the 2nd half (fitness?) so i was surprised that it was Liverpool who seemed to be toiling the more the game went on - they seemed to lose intensity around the time Firmino went off at the hour mark.

Another missed penalty - we could do with a Salah/Yaya/Mario level penalty taker - we have missed so many over recent seasons. KDB could have put that to bed if he'd bagged it.

The more i see Dias the more i like him, and he and Laporte look to be building a decent strong partnership.

The unorthodox Cancelo had another good game and looks to be nailing that LB position down.

I don't know why the managers were moaning about the number of substitutes that should be available to them, as they only used 3 out of the total 6 available to them in this game.

Reasonably happy with our performance and the result - we didn't crumble when under pressure like we used to (without Laporte and pre-Dias), we came back in to the game well and played well in the last hour against a very team. 

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It's the love affair with Gundogan that concerns me. Doesn't add anything

Yeah, that one is a bit of a mystery as well. And I know a bunch of City fans who have the same thought.

What do you think about this Walker / Roy Keane thing guys.

I found myself reading some 'touchy feely' newspaper (no pay wall) and they were bordering on outrage. Saying punditry is going down a dangerous road. 

IMO Keano is just being Keano. That's the way he is and I don't believe he's playing up to any kind of image... We shouldn't be asking pundits to be somebody they are not and say all the right things. Too much of that in the world now anyway. What we should do is offer balance, and since Carragher and Richards were there too I don't see the problem 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I found myself reading some 'touchy feely' newspaper (no pay wall) and they were bordering on outrage. Saying punditry is going down a dangerous road. 

IMO Keano is just being Keano. That's the way he is and I don't believe he's playing up to any kind of image... We shouldn't be asking pundits to be somebody they are not and say all the right things. Too much of that in the world now anyway. What we should do is offer balance, and since Carragher and Richards were there too I don't see the problem 

IMO he was funny at first and now he's trying to shock. The trouble with that kind of act (and it is an act) is that to keep it from going stale, you have to shock even more and then more again. Ultimately it's a short lived thing as people soon get bored and move on.

39 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

IMO he was funny at first and now he's trying to shock. The trouble with that kind of act (and it is an act) is that to keep it from going stale, you have to shock even more and then more again. Ultimately it's a short lived thing as people soon get bored and move on.

I'd agree with all that, but sometimes I get the impression that there are more and more people looking for that kind of over the top mess. Maybe some of the same people who think All Star wrestling isn't fake. I can't see anything "entertaining" about it.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

To be honest I hadn't bothered to read Keane's comments - don't have too much time for him (Rednev I do). Just read them. 

Walker does have a mistake in him, but this season, and probably since project restart, Walker has been our best player, always a minimum 7/10 and often more.

Voted in three times in to the PFA Team of the year says a lot.

He's done very well for us. 

Think this guy sums it up well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keanes-overdone-punditry-act-22978071

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

This is where I disagree. By shock you are implying he is courting some kind of public reaction... Which in turn implies that Roy Keane is actually bothered about what the general public thinks.

I can imagine him being exactly the same sat at home or watching the game with friends when no cameras are on. And isn't that what we want?

With so many people on TV carefully towing the line, isn't there room for one Roy Keane?

44 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I'd agree with all that, but sometimes I get the impression that there are more and more people looking for that kind of over the top mess. Maybe some of the same people who think All Star wrestling isn't fake. I can't see anything "entertaining" about it.

It's anything but fake though... I think he's like that off camera.

Archived