The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 5/16/2023 at 11:27 PM, RedArmy said:

They ain't doing any Treble - wind your neck in boy - No team is ever again gonna repeat what United did in 99.

images.jpeg-31.jpg

Here's the post I was looking for. I remember SAF saying "City, not in my lifetime". Well Red, you've just made the same idiotic mistake Fergie did. When will you RAG's ever learn that other teams can win as well. Everything doesn't belong to you as a god given right

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

You horrible, bitter man. Suppose United haven't spent, bought and hired eh. The only thing is, you've done the same and not done as well. Numpty

Don't know where Rick is from. But if he is from Manchester, he should be proud of the place.

What other City in England can boast the achievements that they have?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You horrible, bitter man. Suppose United haven't spent, bought and hired eh. The only thing is, you've done the same and not done as well. Numpty

Oh comon. So serious these days.

I always said you're not a big club until you win the Champions League. And now you've done it. Just need to work on your fanbase now and you might be able to eat at the big boy's table. 

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Don't know where Rick is from. But if he is from Manchester, he should be proud of the place.

What other City in England can boast the achievements that they have?

That's all very nice Owl but do you think most Citeh fans would share those sentiments if it was the other way round?

50 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's all very nice Owl but do you think most Citeh fans would share those sentiments if it was the other way round?

I can recall when City (the club) were ridiculed. They were out of the EPL not so long ago, and I think they were in the third tier too (I'll check that).. United were the top dogs in Manchester. Then there were the others.

City may not be your team Rick, but they play some great footy, and have help raised the bar that United put in place.

I don't like Arsenal; because of a personal reason. And I don't like Spurs 'cause they put a floodlight pylon where I used to stand. But i like to see good football, and when I see it, I appreciate it.

Look out for Leyton Orient. EPL in a couple of years, and then???? Who knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I can recall when City (the club) were ridiculed. They were out of the EPL not so long ago, and I think they were in the third tier too (I'll check that).. United were the top dogs in Manchester. Then there were the others.

City may not be your team Rick, but they play some great footy, and have help raised the bar that United put in place.

I don't like Arsenal; because of a personal reason. And I don't like Spurs 'cause they put a floodlight pylon where I used to stand. But i like to see good football, and when I see it, I appreciate it.

Look out for Leyton Orient. EPL in a couple of years, and then???? Who knows?

They are a great team that plays great football and it's hilarious that despite that their fans need some kind of validation from us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's not my post it's an article in the Telegraph.

You have an agenda Rick. I ain't stupid. The only articles you ever post in here are on the same subject and always just after we have won something.  The purpose is eye wateringly obvious, so read the rules on trolling and kindly refrain.

27 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You have an agenda Rick. I ain't stupid. The only articles you ever post in here are on the same subject and always just after we have won something.  The purpose is eye wateringly obvious, so read the rules on trolling and kindly refrain.

It's up to United and Pool and the London clubs to stop City's domination. Toon and Seagulls can win against the best.

No good moaning that English footy is being dominated by one club. Not long ago Arsenal and United finished 1/2 in the EPL for five seasons out of six consecutive seasons (1997 - 2003). Then Chelsea come along to break the monopoly. But even as recent as 2011, United were champs.

It goes in cycles. Right at the mo' it's City, having won 6 out of the last 12. And TBH, looks like their domination will carry on for a few seasons yet. But who knows?!

Is there a club that can do a 'Leicester'? Even less chance to do as Ipswich in 1962; taking the title after being promoted the year previous?! (Think Forest did it also in 1978). Can't see it. Can Luton shock everyone?

What I'd like, is at the beginning of each season, there be 6 clubs in with a chance of taking the title. Not gonna be for the foreseeable future. IMO. But It is football after all so ya never can be that sure.

Really hope this boycott gathers pace. The FA just don't give a hoot about fans. Why have the Charity Shield on a Sunday and at 5.30pm? Not too bad for Arsenal (and Man United fans!!) but even if trains are running, there is no thought for the fans who have to travel back up North, 

Man City fans boycotting Arsenal game need wider backing to make point

Manchester City fan groups have pulled together to tackle food poverty instead of attending the Community Shield

If Manchester City are the kings of Europe after their magnificent Treble, their fans are still being treated as jokers.

Anyone travelling down to Wembley for the Community Shield in August won't have it as bad as the tens of thousands who endured miserable journeys to and from the Champions League final, but the organisers of the season opener have still made it as inconvenient as possible for the team travelling the furthest. Those making the journey were already braced for costs of over £100 on the trains (if they end up running) but a 5.30pm kick-off on Sunday is about as needless as it gets; anyone wanting to stay over to enjoy the win will now have to take a day off work, while even those hotfooting it back to Manchester will do well to make it back before midnight.

Full story:- Man City fans boycotting Arsenal game need wider backing to make point - Simon Bajkowski - Manchester Evening News

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:26 AM, mrbojangles said:

Really hope this boycott gathers pace. The FA just don't give a hoot about fans. Why have the Charity Shield on a Sunday and at 5.30pm? Not too bad for Arsenal (and Man United fans!!) but even if trains are running, there is no thought for the fans who have to travel back up North, 

Well, well, well. It appears the FA have listened and now moved the K.O time forward by 90 minutes to 4pm.

FA change Community Shield time after Man City fans announce boycott

Manchester City fans hit out at the timing of the Community Shield and the game has been brought forward by 90 minutes.

City have been in discussions with Arsenal and the FA and a compromise has been reached to play the game at 4pm on the Sunday rather than 5.30pm. All sides accept that this may not be enough to win back fans who had decided not to go, although it does at least improve travel options and mean supporters won't be arriving back in Manchester after the game as late as they were.

"Having contacted the FA to express our reservations and clarify why the kick-off time of 5:30pm on a Sunday was originally chosen, we are pleased that the decision to bring forward kick-off has now been made," a City spokesperson said. "Whilst we understand that this will not fully alleviate travel issues for our fans and our preference would have been for an earlier kick-off time still, we hope that the new kick-off time of 4pm will make a difference.”

Story:- FA change Community Shield time after Man City fans announce boycott - Manchester Evening News

4 hours ago, jellydog said:

So do we want Rice because we want Rice or do we want to keep him away from Arsenal?

He has apparently said he wants to stay in London. We have players from all over the globe who have left families and friends due to their 100% commitment to their career. If he can't handle being a couple of hours away from the family then I don't think he is the right fit for us

On 6/23/2023 at 9:58 AM, mrbojangles said:

He has apparently said he wants to stay in London. We have players from all over the globe who have left families and friends due to their 100% commitment to their career. If he can't handle being a couple of hours away from the family then I don't think he is the right fit for us

Can you get jellied eels in Manchester?

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:26 AM, champers said:

Can you get jellied eels in Manchester?

The mrs always found her thai stuff easy enough to get, so a jellied eel or 3 shouldn't be too problematic for a man of his wealth. Plus, he'll be playing down south every other week. He can get a carry out whilst he's there

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mendy must be relieved after being cleared of all charges but his career is pretty much in tatters. Nothing ever seems to happen to the people who make up these allegations. Mendy may never be able to play again at the top level and City lost out on millions of pounds on a player because he got put in jail and wasn't allowed to play (not that his mind would have been in the right place).

What Benjamin Mendy trial verdict means for former Man City footballer's career

The former Manchester City footballer did not make his future plans clear as he left court on Friday

Benjamin Mendy will now have to decide what the rest of his football career will look like after being cleared of all charges against him.

The former Manchester City defender, 28, was unanimously acquitted in his trial on Friday - his second of the last 12 months - and left court as a free man after being found not guilty of the multiple counts of rape and sexual assault he was charged with two years ago. Mendy wept as the verdict was read out, before issuing a brief statement through his lawyers in which he did not state whether he plans to return to professional football.

"It has been almost three years since the police started investigating this matter," the statement read. "Mr Mendy has tried to remain strong but the process has, inevitably had a serious impact on him.

What Benjamin Mendy trial verdict means for former Man City footballer's career - Manchester Evening News

On 5/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, RickG16 said:

A report on the BBC emphasized that City are still alleged to be breaching over 100 PL rules. Considering they are just celebrating winning the competition I don't see how this isn't relevant.

Glass houses eh Rick!!

I've said it many times on here. If every club was to be investigated to the enth degree, there would be very few who haven't breached the rules at some point. 

The proposed James Trafford transfer from City to Burnley looking shakey, according to the rumour mill. £15M + £4M in add-ons seems a lot for someone who hasn't played above League 1 (3rd tier) level, his U21 performances for England notwithstanding. Less than 2 years ago Accrington binned him off cutting short his loan with them. That price is being called an "FFP price" to "help" City comply.

Burnley are getting cold feet, they already have 4 goalies so if Trafford joins 2 will likely have to be moved on and they would bring in peanuts by comparison.

Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, champers said:

The proposed James Trafford transfer from City to Burnley looking shakey, according to the rumour mill. £15M + £4M in add-ons seems a lot for someone who hasn't played above League 1 (3rd tier) level, his U21 performances for England notwithstanding. Less than 2 years ago Accrington binned him off cutting short his loan with them. That price is being called an "FFP price" to "help" City comply.

Burnley are getting cold feet, they already have 4 goalies so if Trafford joins 2 will likely have to be moved on and they would bring in peanuts by comparison.

Any thoughts?

You'll have seen more of this goalie than me Champers. Burnley are a PL competitor now and have just been given a huge financial bonus. If they want him at our valuation, done deal. If they done want to pay, walk away. We can't be doing charity work to a PL rival, it's a business. We didn't get Rice because we didn't agree with West Hams valuation and so we walked. Burnley can do the same thing.

He is only 20 and, understandably, prone to the odd catastrophic error but in the Prem he will be a lot busier and be up against some World class strikers, if they haven't all cleared off to Saudi.

If he doesn't end up at Turf Moor where will he be? I think another loan to a Championship club would seem a more natural progression. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jellydog said:

David Silva retires after tearing his ACL. Good luck, David!!:smile:

I had the good fortune of being able to watch the Bell, Lee and Summerbee trio when I first started going to watch City at Maine Road and was at the game that ultimately ended the career of Colin the King. The man was an absolute thoroughbred (his nickname was Nijinsky) and was touted as the future England Captain. It's open for debate but in some areas of the press at the time, he was Division one's finest midfielder. I never thought I'd see the like of him again at City. However, things changed, the Arabs bought us and along came the diminutive El Mago (or Merlin as he was nicknamed by the other City players) and wow, what a sight to behold when that lad was on form. He's the most skilful payer I've ever seen in a sky blue shirt. I also once had the pleasure of meeting him at Suvarnabhumi and what an absolute gentleman he was. Recover well David and remember the times you wowed the world with your skill and quality.

• Thumbs Up 1