The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, RickG16 said:

At present he needs to win three more titles to even be compared to Phil Neville.

How are you shaping up for next week?

Don’t forget he will also need to manage a women’s team. 

Im busy in the gym  Is that what you mean ? 

Oh the game. Well you will need to beat us to level it off as we stuffed your U23 last week ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

He was a free transfer. That was a massive win last night, which could ultimately be worth a few mil. 

Is he playing for free as well? No bonuses? 

Yes was a good win have to say. Southampton are no mugs. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Is he playing for free as well? No bonuses? 

Of course he is being paid in line with being the 3rd highest scorer in Europe over the last 8 or so years. Considering we didn't pay a fee though it's hardly a big gamble.

Ole gave a lot of praise to James W-P in the post match interview, just wonder whether he could be a summer Pogba replacement. 

14 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Of course he is being paid in line with being the 3rd highest scorer in Europe over the last 8 or so years. Considering we didn't pay a fee though it's hardly a big gamble.

Ole gave a lot of praise to James W-P in the post match interview, just wonder whether he could be a summer Pogba replacement. 

His set pieces are a bit special. I would have him any day over Pog. Great work rate. 

44 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Honestly, who would you rather have in your team right now... Firminho or Cavani? Don't lie.

Still prefer Firmino. Cavani is a good finisher but there is far more to Bobby's game than being a goal hanger. I am sure Salah and Mane would say the same. 

Regarding his 'Faux Pas' I have some sympathy for Cavani but he should be punished...as did City's Silva for a similar indiscretion.

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Think he only got a 1 match ban and a fine. Mr BJ will confirm.

Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva has been suspended for one game, fined £50,000 and must undergo education after a tweet sent to Benjamin Mendy was deemed to have constituted an “aggravated breach” of the Football Association’s rules on social media behavior because it appeared to reference the French left-back’s race.

5 hours ago, wilai said:

Think he only got a 1 match ban and a fine. Mr BJ will confirm.

Yeah a 1 match ban and fined 50k I think it was.  It was a joke between Mendy and Silva in which SIlva compared Mendy to a character of a chocolate biscuit. Mendy even testified on Silva's behalf that it was a joke between the 2 of them. The FA accepted there was no racist intent and that it was a joke between the 2 of them but because it was posted on twitter it was no longer private and some people could take offence. He didn't actually post any words 

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

In light of that, I wonder if @mrbojangles feels silly for his liking of Bob's post earlier. 

I "liked" Bob's post for the bit in which he called you out for when it suits you, you change your view as to what something means. We (City fans) had to put up with you for months banging on that we should be banned and then nothing from you after CAS overturned UEFA

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah a 1 match ban and fined 50k I think it was.  It was a joke between Mendy and Silva in which SIlva compared Mendy to a character of a chocolate biscuit. Mendy even testified on Silva's behalf that it was a joke between the 2 of them. The FA accepted there was no racist intent and that it was a joke between the 2 of them but because it was posted on twitter it was no longer private and some people could take offence. He didn't actually post any words 

I think we can put it in the same category as this Cavani thing.. in which case how can you call me out for hypocrisy? The Suarez incident and this are clearly completely different. 

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Hardly the best character reference though is it.

The come from the same country and are good footballers... but there the similarity between Suarez and Cavani ends. Always struck me as a big contrast even before he joined United. 

In light of the recent resignation at the FA, there is a pressing need for them to establish their "woke" credentials, so I would expect the worst in the matter of any punishment.

Hope for common sense to prevail if you like but that is in short supply at the FA, as proven on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think we can put it in the same category as this Cavani thing.. in which case how can you call me out for hypocrisy? The Suarez incident and this are clearly completely different. 

I haven't commented on what Cavani said because I don't know his intent. A hearing will determine that. However, I can guarantee if it was a City player who had said something you would be on him like a ton of bricks. That's the hypocrisy to which I refer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I haven't commented on what Cavani said because I don't know his intent. A hearing will determine that. However, I can guarantee if it was a City player who had said something you would be on him like a ton of bricks. That's the hypocrisy to which I refer

I don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure I gave Silva a pass at the time. 

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

In the case of Suarez he repeated it 5 or 6 times and pinched Evra's skin

• Haha 1

Manchester United will face Watford in FA Cup third round

Man United have been drawn against Watford in the third round of the FA Cup.

An exact date and kick-off time has not yet been set for the match but it will be played between January 8-11, 2021, and be held at Old Trafford.

In a temporary rule change to prevent the football calender from getting even more packed in wake of the coronavirus pandemic, there will be no replays this season so the match must be settled on the day, through extra-time and penalties if required.

Im Uruguayan and let me tell you there was no racial connotation in what Edi said. We use that, i grew up being called negrito my sisters negrita. Sweethearts calling each other this.... etc..."negrito/a me haces un favor" translated..negrito/a can you do me a favour, the word negrito is not racist that example that i used is the same as "babe can you do me a favour" not "hey bl...ky do me a favour..please lets not take this outta context.its a term of endearment. Have a good day all.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im Uruguayan and let me tell you there was no racial connotation in what Edi said. We use that, i grew up being called negrito my sisters negrita. Sweethearts calling each other this.... etc..."negrito/a me haces un favor" translated..negrito/a can you do me a favour, the word negrito is not racist that example that i used is the same as "babe can you do me a favour" not "hey bl...ky do me a favour..please lets not take this outta context.its a term of endearment. Have a good day all.

Yeah.. point taken.. however much it isn't taken as a racial slur in South America in Europe ANY use or adaptation  is seen as such . I'm abso sure you know that . and he's been in Europe long enuf to know that, and this may be assumptive of me but he doesn't look or come across as an ignorant redneck . So .. HONESTLY at best  he's been a dick at worst... He's broke the law...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah.. point taken.. however much it isn't taken as a racial slur in South America in Europe ANY use or adaptation  is seen as such . I'm abso sure you know that . and he's been in Europe long enuf to know that, and this may be assumptive of me but he doesn't look or come across as an ignorant redneck . So .. HONESTLY at best  he's been a dick at worst... He's broke the law...

His "crime" is posting it on a public platform instead of sending a private message. Even if the person he was responding to was not offended, others who saw the message may have been and the FA has been offended on their behalf. This same rationale is what did for Bernardo Silva.There is a 3 match ban minimum as a punishment according to the BBC.

3 hours ago, champers said:

His "crime" is posting it on a public platform instead of sending a private message. Even if the person he was responding to was not offended, others who saw the message may have been and the FA has been offended on their behalf. This same rationale is what did for Bernardo Silva.There is a 3 match ban minimum as a punishment according to the BBC.

But Silva only got one match....

2 hours ago, champers said:

His "crime" is posting it on a public platform instead of sending a private message. Even if the person he was responding to was not offended, others who saw the message may have been and the FA has been offended on their behalf. This same rationale is what did for Bernardo Silva. There is a 3 match ban minimum as a punishment according to the BBC.

I concur with all of that and that was the rationale used against Silva. The only part I disagree with is the last bit as for some reason Silva only got 1 match ban.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Who wrote that... I'm assuming you are not Uruguayan Chip Butty ????

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Many black people call each other the "n" word and as you know they openly say it in songs and in movies. It is however, universally known that non black people cannot say it.

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Many black people call each other the "n" word and as you know they openly say it in songs and in movies. It is however, universally known that non black people cannot say it.

This is different. Read what CB has posted... it sounds like a term of endearment used by all. 

And by the way, what you referred to is the n word with an 'a' not 'er' at the end. That's another big difference.

I've got you down as a big gangsta rap fan Mr Boj.