The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

38 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

"Laborious" just about sums it up. Strange tactics from Moyes. I thought he would at least have a go considering they are within touching distance of a top 4 place  but seemed content to get as many people behind the ball as he could. Lucky to get 3 points in the end and we needed them to score the only goal. Team is crying out for a real number 9.Not sure what's going on with Cavani. Team Dr's say he is fit to play and United continue to stumble along without natural striker.

Greenwood in an improved performance hit the post twice can't buy a goal. I just hope we can stay in the top 4. Buying quality players, with out Champions League, is becoming increasingly difficult.

Mata seems to have already left, Jones if ever fit again is almost certainly going at bargain price and it may well be time to sell Martia,l might just be his personality but 1 decent game in 3 is not good enough

WH didn't have one shot on goal strange tactic's for sure,

Phil Jones has got a job in the museum as for Mata back to Spain in the summer.

Martial we could swap him for Haarland and a few quid, 

Cavani did have history with injuries at PSG,

Swap Lingard for Rice plus a few more quid  

Edited by ChipButty

Olly said in an earlier article "that we are are going for it" it certainly never looked like that in the first half, once again our play was slow, in particular from our ball playing CH'S (joke). James is a complete waste of time. No creativity in MF, who I might add Scholes was raving about after City, yes they can defend OK, but create no way ! Thank goodness Rashford came off injured, and the Pogs came on, he showed Fred & Mcsauce what to do in tight situations, but even after we scored we really never looked like doing it again. Olly again only making 1 sub, he is running these boys into the ground, I assume nearly all of them will play on Sunday.

But a win is win and we are through to the last 8, but for me it was another drab performance with no energy in our play. Hopefully better on Sunday

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Olly said in an earlier article "that we are are going for it" it certainly never looked like that in the first half, once again our play was slow, in particular from our ball playing CH'S (joke). James is a complete waste of time. No creativity in MF, who I might add Scholes was raving about after City, yes they can defend OK, but create no way ! Thank goodness Rashford came off injured, and the Pogs came on, he showed Fred & Mcsauce what to do in tight situations, but even after we scored we really never looked like doing it again. Olly again only making 1 sub, he is running these boys into the ground, I assume nearly all of them will play on Sunday.

But a win is win and we are through to the last 8, but for me it was another drab performance with no energy in our play. Hopefully better on Sunday

OGS is in a difficult place. A CL place is a must. Last night a win was essential and being saying for weeks Rashford is close to burn out ,needs at least 2 weeks off but obvious OGS doesn't consider the alternatives are on the bench.de Beek would not have been up to the pace and has done nothing to suggest, as yet, he can perform at this level. No Cavani again, Martial, who has been poor, injured again and Pogba couldn't play 90 minutes, thankfully he did get through 45,showed what we have been missing, and got them into the last 8. AC Milan are/were no push overs.

Brutal schedule and more of the same in a few days. But take the positives as opposed to being a Spurs fan.

• Like 1

Popped in to help Chippy out.

OPINION

Man United player ratings vs Leicester: Mason Greenwood good but Scott McTominay poor

How the Man Utd players rated in their poor 3-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Leicester at the King Power Stadium

(Matic 2/10, Fred 1/10)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-leicester-player-ratings-20225456

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Popped in to help Chippy out.

OPINION

Man United player ratings vs Leicester: Mason Greenwood good but Scott McTominay poor

How the Man Utd players rated in their poor 3-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Leicester at the King Power Stadium

(Matic 2/10, Fred 1/10)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-leicester-player-ratings-20225456

How Fred lasted 84 minutes only OGS knows. Magoo 4/10 is generous. He had another diabolical game and whilst Fred messed up  for the first goal, the pass from him was  Suicidal. 

If you get the chance watch the second goal again and before it goes in keep on your eye on Maguire as Fred runs into him and wipes them both out. 

Comedy central. 

Worst performance of the season. Only saw the lowlights but lethargy was obvious. Leicester did have a weeks rest where as MU were still basking in the sun after beating AC Milan on Thursday but the Foxes are a very solid team and holding onto second place or winning Europa now has to be the target for MU.

D V Beek got his chance again but looks so meek and mild. Ajax don't produce bad players and his past performances, courtesy of video, show a totally different player. Maybe a week at Roy Keane's  boot camp might help. As for Rashford going away on England duty its total madness.

So Rashford is coming home without playing a game. As I said before total madness and lack of duty of care by medical staff that he even went away. Of course he wants to play for his country, what player wouldn't, but there's a long history of young players having their careers shortened by playing when not fully fit. Sanity finally prevails.

Edited by Sparkles

This forum is like a morgue...is everyone banned or lost interest ?

Anyway very happy for young James Garner, out on loan to Nottingham Forest, scored his second goal playing from mid field and the only one in the game against Cardiff. Another Academy product ,only 20 yrs old, great future.

I find the sight of Mino Raiola hawking Erling Haaland around like a pimp very distasteful. Does Haaland have no respect for his present club ? Although he obviously is a serial goal scorer he seems to have a massive ego for one so young. 

So MU this weekend will want to play a lot better than their fortunate win against Brighton in the first round.

I'd go with only one holding midfielder Mc Tominay. Fred is so hit and miss

Henderson

Wan B       Bailly     Maguire    Shaw

McTominay

Fernandes      Pogba

Greenwood (if fit)                       Cavani (if fit )        Rashford (if fit ) or James

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Mason Greenwood and Fred good vs Brighton

Mason Greenwood scored to secure a win for Man United against Brighton in the Premier League and here are the player ratings.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-brighton-20321218

Scrappy win but kept pressing and were rewarded. Fernandes 14th assist of the season. Rashford's finish was excellent and Greenwood is getting better every game. Maguire was very lucky not conceding a penalty. Move on to Granada.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:01 PM, Sparkles said:

This forum is like a morgue...is everyone banned or lost interest ?

Got bored I would say with all the tripe people post, there are better places to go to.

I do agree with you about James Garner Ive been watching him for a few years in the youth teams

• Like 2

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani brilliant vs Tottenham

Fred, Edinson Cavani and Mason Greenwood scored for Man United in their win at Spurs and here are how the players rated at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-tottenham-20364107

18 hours ago, champers said:

Could've saved £30+ million on that Dutch lad he never picks. 

True but OGS is in a difficult situation. He has to consolidate a CL place and until that's 100 % safe he is forced to keep playing what he consider as his strongest team and Van de Beek would not replace Pogba, Fernandes or anyone else in the selection process. Same went for Lingard in the form he was in prior to his move

Can't rely on winning the Europa. League to get CL. There are others that are not getting any game time either, Tuanzebe , Brandon Williams and Mata have hardly been seen all season.

Van de Beek, when he has played looked very timid and overawed, but I haven't given up on him Ajax always produce quality players and if he can hang in there, in a normal season, he might flourish.

Without CL the chances of any club signing world class youngish players diminishes. That's modern day football.

10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani brilliant vs Tottenham

Fred, Edinson Cavani and Mason Greenwood scored for Man United in their win at Spurs and here are how the players rated at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-tottenham-20364107

Ratings seemed a bit harsh. Wan B is seen my many as the most effective tackler in the league and the stats back that. Surely better than a 5 last night.

Can't disagree with Cavani and Pogba ,both were brilliant. Cavani's movement and anticipation is second to none. Pity we didn't get him a couple of years ago but cant see him staying even the club has an option on him. Doesn't speak any English ,family stuck back home, not easy.

Satisfying win. Having said that the Spurs back 4 must be amongst the worst in the league . Dier an ordinary mid fielder IMO playing CB ,when I saw that on the team sheet thought Cavani would be licking his lips. Mourinho helped chasing a CL place he gives Bale 8 minutes and his substitutions were so negative. Spurs going backwards under him. Kane and Son are the only quality players and Levy must be looking on in the empty stadium thinking where di it all go wrong ? we all know why

Justice was done after Son's disgraceful acting, holding his face, rolling around in pain like he had been seriously injured. Rather than going to the VAR screen the ref should have gone to Son and looked at his face, not a mark.

McTominay post match said that it was part of football now. Many players do it and if Mc Tominay did foul him or it was seen as dangerous/violent play why didn't he get a second yellow ? Refs are getting conned and VAR is not helping at all. Can't find a reputable pundit that agreed with the decision

Nice cameo from Greenwood. People who suggest that his goal should have been saved don't appreciate the power he can generate with both feet,  future no 9.

• Like 1

Lingard is on his way to Real Madrid according to the Daily Mail 

PSG and Inter Milan are monitoring the situation 

Did you see that goal by Jimmy Garner? sublime 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:59 AM, ChipButty said:

Lingard is on his way to Real Madrid according to the Daily Mail 

PSG and Inter Milan are monitoring the situation 

Did you see that goal by Jimmy Garner? sublime 

Yes I did and one player that should be in the first grade squad next season.

Lingard should move on permanently but no way RM that's just the usual slow news day for the tabloids unless he's part of a swap deal which I doubt.

I'm sure the club will be helpful to Lingard in him getting what he wants they always look after their own who have come through the "system".

9 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Yes I did and one player that should be in the first grade squad next season.

Lingard should move on permanently but no way RM that's just the usual slow news day for the tabloids unless he's part of a swap deal which I doubt.

I'm sure the club will be helpful to Lingard in him getting what he wants they always look after their own who have come through the "system".

I just watched a young guy called David Pritt all he does is follow the under 18's and under 23's should I say anything to do with the academy, and he is saying one more year on loan somewhere 

I did read the other day maybe Rangers might be interested I think that would be a good loan move, CL next year could he learn something from SG? 

We swap Lingard for Varane ? 

European Club Association release statement on Super League plans involving Manchester United and Man City

Man Utd and Manchester City are reportedly among six Premier League clubs that have signed up to join a European Super League.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/european-super-league-latest-news-20414029

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

European Club Association release statement on Super League plans involving Manchester United and Man City

Man Utd and Manchester City are reportedly among six Premier League clubs that have signed up to join a European Super League.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/european-super-league-latest-news-20414029

I would love to see whose signatures are on the proposal. If this nonsense went through English football is finished, end of story.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparkles said:

I would love to see whose signatures are on the proposal. If this nonsense went through English football is finished, end of story.

Joel Glazier is one of them, in fact 3 of the 6 signatures from the English clubs are American. They love their franchises over there. Trying to create an American style league. No promotions, no relegations just a guaranteed cash cow, year after year.

If this goes ahead United will be out of the Premier League, out of the Europa Cup/Champions league and the English players will be ineligible to play for their country. I doubt very much if it will go ahead.

• Like 2

Good win last night against a physical, well prepared  team that have proved very difficult for Man U home or away over the years. Totally different game when Fred made way for Cavani, a very positive sub. Mason Greenwood is continuing to show his potential is no fluke and begs the question if a new right winger came in and Cavani stayed where would he play?  He is at a stage in his career where he operates better with some space and where he is being played now is perfect. Nice cameo from D V Beek, had some nice touches.

Week off which they will need with next up Leeds, who play at 200 mph, and then Roma

• Like 1