The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Manchester United signings weighed against 'financial criteria,' Ten Hag says

I don't like to read stuff like this , we went through this before and started losing players to other clubs because we wouldn't pay the extra 10 -20 million.

Then the following season we splash out more money on lesser players.

I don't know if he wanted Gakpo , but it appears it takes us weeks to make a decision , while other teams come in and do a deal straight away , it makes us look like we are trying to cut corners all the time.

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Joao Felix

While he would be a great addition ( hope we get him ) , he is not a No. 9 which I still think should be our priority , I also think we still need a top centre back.

Is there a case for abolishing transfer fees?

OK, so if a club wants to 'get' a player, and the player, is say, half way through a contract, all that should be allowed is a compensation - equal to the amount of wages left when the player finishes.

Where does all this dosh generated by transfer fees end up? Mostly it's money just going round and round among the top 20 clubs, but a good bit of it slips away into 'other' pockets.

15 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Any thoughts on this Gakpo situation?

Is there something bigger in the pipeline??

Talks of Joao Felix, but is he the player we need

he's not, MU needs 3 players:  a real forward, creative middle field real #10 and a center back

Complete performance from MU v Forest .WC didn't seem to affect Casamiro and Varane the former most pundits MOM with Rashford as good, improving every game .Classic dummy run by Varane to open up the goal by Rashford, that's off the training pitch.

Doubt there will be any major buys during January especially with the Glazers "will they or wont they sell ? situation".

Obviously a striker is needed. Felix is a bit of an unknown quality and Gapko would probably not have settled into the PL quickly. Need imo a tried and tested, physical striker ,with a pedigree, maybe on loan. 

Can't see the need for another creative midfielder, Erikson, Casemiro and Fernandes are doing the job and a renewed Shaw looked comfortable at CB.  Malacia may just turn out to be a very good buy, young ,loads of energy and aggressive, like that.

MU just have to keeping winning the matches which look doable on paper. 

Now thanks to last night have a +3 goal difference, hardly enough but can see the influence of EtH working and importantly players responding. 

• Like 2

Maguire has missed United’s first two games back after the World Cup due to a bout of illness but was named among the substitutes for Saturday’s trip to Molineux.

With Lisandro Martinez also still absent, regular left-back Shaw was shifted inside to partner Raphael Varane in United’s last game and impressed in his new role in the 3-0 win against Nottingham Forest.

• Haha 1

After he kicked the petulant and date-expired CR7 to the curb, ten Hag's authority and discipline mandates have gotten the attention of the rest of the dressing room. I was reading an opinion that he also started Shaw at center back with Lindelof and Maguire also on the bench. Maybe the latter's paying attention now?

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

After he kicked the petulant and date-expired CR7 to the curb, ten Hag's authority and discipline mandates have gotten the attention of the rest of the dressing room. I was reading an opinion that he also started Shaw at center back with Lindelof and Maguire also on the bench. Maybe the latter's paying attention now?

With Lisandro Martinez not yet ready to resume his place in the team after his World Cup exploits, there are similarities between Martinez and Shaw, who both play in a 'robust' fashion whilst lacking height.   They throw themselves in front of people and are quick.   Lindelof and particularly Maguire, whilst good in the air, don't have the aggression of both Martinez and Shaw, a trait that Den Hag seems to favour.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:58 PM, NE1 said:

Well that was a " squeaky bum game "

Could have been 3 up at half time , it is obvious to everyone what is needed .

We picked up points , so a pretty good week end.

Agreed but you can't rely on 1-0 wins. De Gea's last minute incredible reaction saved the day but lessons can be learned. Firstly Garnocho could have easily rounded their keeper and tapped into an empty net in the first hal but he tried to pass it by him, a keepers flailing legs and arms save many a shot.

If they had have scored early Wolves would have been chasing the game and be more open at the back

In Rashford's absence, sensibly explained after the game and agreed by him he was responsible, the team looked toothless in attack without him. Martial is for me never a striker, too passive and doesn't impose himself on defenders, pretty sure a striker will have to come in probably on loan.

While Shaw looked settled at CB expect him to be back at LB v Man City and Martinez in that CB role with Varane who has been calm and controlling the tempo.

Pretty sure its been noted Haaland's reaction to being put on his backside by Godfrey for Everton last game, Haaland's responses were in red card territory. Sometimes as a defender when you know you are up against a bigger ,stronger, player you have to do what you have to do. That job might go to Martinez when the meet, hopefully outside the box.   

But first Bournemouth tonight at home, be nice to see an early goal or 2 so some players can be rested

• Like 2

Anyone watch the Bournemouth game? if you didn't the result was a little flattering as late in the game our defence was sloppy and left De Gea to pull off a couple of top class saves ,he certainly has lifted his game especially distribution.

Highlights the 1st 2 goals great passing and vision and the second Shaw's run from inside his own half and the cut back from Garnacho for Shaw who kept running and finished with his right foot was top class.

Hard to seperate Shaw and Casemiro for MOM. ETH made some excellent substitutions, rotating those who needed a rest. Quite a turn around from the dross of last season and the first 2 games of this season

Donny VDB cant catch a break, was perhaps was trying to hard but was replaced after clashing knees with a defender didn't look good for him at all ,probably weeks /months out.

Games coming thick and fast and how will the Everton players respond as Lampard must be on the edge. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, NE1 said:

Manchester United signings weighed against 'financial criteria,' Ten Hag says

I don't like to read stuff like this , we went through this before and started losing players to other clubs because we wouldn't pay the extra 10 -20 million.

Then the following season we splash out more money on lesser players.

I don't know if he wanted Gakpo , but it appears it takes us weeks to make a decision , while other teams come in and do a deal straight away , it makes us look like we are trying to cut corners all the time.

While he would be a great addition ( hope we get him ) , he is not a No. 9 which I still think should be our priority , I also think we still need a top centre back.

Every club has financial criteria. It's just what that criteria is.

If Ten Hag says something he's usually talking sense.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

If Ten Hag says something he's usually talking sense.

I agree , but the financial criteria he is talking about is determined by the board and not the manager . 

I just don't like to see other teams paying a few more million for players we want , but don't buy , makes us look like cheap charlies.