Why Thai banks are trying to charge you for cash at ATMs and branches

webfact

It does not always work that way ... I see ATMs with a "25-note" limit.  That means, a withdrawal of 25,000 max only ... Bangkok Bank is the one I use most often.

And you must keep the limit in mind if you are trying to get small notes ... ie: if you want 100s and a 500, the maximum at the BB atms I see would be 20,900 (20-1000, 1-500, 4-100).

They all (as far as I know) will give at least 20 bills, meaning you can get at least 20,000, meaning the most you should have to pay is 2%.

Why would I want to walk around with a fat wad of 20 Baht notes in my pocket or tearing up my wallet?

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mogandave said:

They all (as far as I know) will give at least 20 bills, meaning you can get at least 20,000, meaning the most you should have to pay is 2%.

Why would I want to walk around with a fat wad of 20 Baht notes in my pocket or tearing up my wallet?

You referenced this to me ... even though I have not mentioned 20 baht notes in any post.

Perhaps you mis-read?

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Okay, why would I want to carry a wad of hundred Baht notes or tear up my wallet with them?

Better?

No, it really isn't.  You have been following this thread, right?

One person mentioned that in order to have a few hundred baht notes, he adjusts his withdrawal.  

You said the atms allow 30 notes.  I clarified that with Bangkok Bank's limit of 25.

And to further address the issue of mixing notes, I gave an example of what it would be to get a few hundred baht notes.

"wad of hundred baht notes" ... my example was FOUR (4) 100 baht notes, and ONE (1) 500 baht note.  I don't consider that a "wad" ... unless you have an unusually small wad.

So no, it isn't better ... and it doesn't add to the conversation.  

Is there anyone else on this board that thinks FIVE small bills in your wallet is an "unmanageable" wad that "tears up" your wallet????

No, it really isn't.  You have been following this thread, right?

One person mentioned that in order to have a few hundred baht notes, he adjusts his withdrawal.  

You said the atms allow 30 notes.  I clarified that with Bangkok Bank's limit of 25.

And to further address the issue of mixing notes, I gave an example of what it would be to get a few hundred baht notes.

"wad of hundred baht notes" ... my example was FOUR (4) 100 baht notes, and ONE (1) 500 baht note.  I don't consider that a "wad" ... unless you have an unusually small wad.

So no, it isn't better ... and it doesn't add to the conversation.  

Is there anyone else on this board that thinks FIVE small bills in your wallet is an "unmanageable" wad that "tears up" your wallet????

I’m sorry, I thought we were discussing the fees, not how to get change. The way to minimize fees is to draw out the maximum amount per transaction. Regardless of the maximum number of bills the ATM will distribute, using the largest denomination available will minimize fees.

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I’m sorry, I thought we were discussing the fees, not how to get change. The way to minimize fees is to draw out the maximum amount per transaction. Regardless of the maximum number of bills the ATM will distribute, using the largest denomination available will minimize fees.

Thank you for clarifying.  ????

On 12/9/2018 at 1:02 AM, sjaak327 said:

Ah ! I got one of the banks wrong, not UOB. I believe they have a branch at Asoke, but to be honest, I stay near Thong Lor BTS, so to save that 70 baht, I am looking at 23bahtx2 for the BTS and the time I spent, so I just use the ATM that is 100 meters away.

Edit to add, I only pull 10.000 baht a pop, I don't like to carry large amounts of cash on me, and I have no problem paying that 220 baht fee each time, to me it is still better than walking around with 20 or 30K.

I do it in a shopping centre. Straight from the ATM to my Thai bank account.

Surely no one thinks this is going to change? Fees could be more reasonable, but they aren't going to be unless the government forces them to do it. Banks are like a shadow government. They make the rules, we follow them. We may as well quit complaining about things that will never change.

9 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

bangkok bank card and be charged 20 baht.

Right now Bangkok Bank in the same province does not charge any ATM fee in their account. I had one account (with ATM card) in Bangkok and another account (with ATM card) in Chonburi district. I seldom go to other districts. may be few times a year. Not a big deal. 

But the OP's post indicates that they are asking to charge even in the same Province and may be charge more for inter-province ATMs of the same bank. That is very very very baddddddd.

220 baht is for foreign ATM card which for US, two banks will refund you - Schwab and Fidelity. 

On 12/9/2018 at 7:39 AM, mogandave said:

The app is pretty slick.

Open the app, selected card-less

Select what account you want to draw from

Enter the amount you want and enter continue

You will get a code

On the ATM select card-less

Enter your phone number

Enter the amount

Enter the code your phone app generated

Remove the cash

Downside is that it is a little slower and (I think) it only works at the issuing bank’s ATM. I assume this will change once all the banks are onboard.

Upside is it’s free, and you have one less card in your wallet

Noticed the buses in BKK have a cashless payment system now where you scan a code and pay, but I have not used it. Yesterday was the first time I rode the bus in a year.

Yeah, I assume if they start charging for ATM withdrawals, they’ll charge for card-less withdrawals...

Happy Sunday!

It's even easier than that with cardless K-Bank withdrawals. Set up the withdrawal in your phone app, scan the ATM QR-code and out comes the cash. No pin numbers or telephone number required.

I must say though, that the security in order to register the app is very strict. You have to do it through an ATM machine with your card.

It's even easier than that with cardless K-Bank withdrawals. Set up the withdrawal in your phone app, scan the ATM QR-code and out comes the cash. No pin numbers or telephone number required.

I must say though, that the security in order to register the app is very strict. You have to do it through an ATM machine with your card.

I have the K+ app, but I haven’t figured out how the cardless works, I know it doesn’t work the same as Krungsri.

I think the K+ app is a little slicker..

Great for paying the rent, credit-cards, phone & toping-up the EasyPass, wish I could top-up the rabbit card with it...

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

I’m sorry, I thought we were discussing the fees, ...

Actually, I shouldn't have jumped into this conversation because it was about THAI banks charging THAI ATM CUSTOMERS fees ... and I followed a post on international ATM fees ... ????

So I am the one who mis-read. ????

• 1 month later...

I don't understand most comments here about this topic.
Using your Thai bank ATM to withdraw cash is free from your bank if it is in that city where you open the account. Outside that city is 10 - 20 bath from any bank including your own bank.
Using a foreign ATM card you will be charged indeed 200+ bath (I started paying 120 bath).
But that is not only in Thailand. Try using your card in Cambodia and you will be charged a similar amount. Try Belgium or Holland using a Chinese bank ATM card for example, it's also not free.
However, opening an account in Thailand is free except for the ATM card you have to pay but after that you won't be charged for keeping that account. In Holland for example you are charged 100 bath per month for having an account. Yes ATM card is free (actually you're paying for that with that monthly fee) but depositing money using an ATM machine is not free for every bank. In Thailand (if it is your bank in that same city you open the account) is free. In China is also free.
And what about online banking in Thailand? When you make a transaction from one bank to another the receiver gets the amount almost instantly. Try that in Holland on a weekend or in the evening and ask yourself why you can't get the money immediately? Yes thieves everywhere you'd say so where is the grass greener?
I'd say stop complaining and take the good with the bad. Pay for the fee that is necessary and enjoy all the good and cheap or even free things (e.g. no parking fee at malls) Thailand and other South East Asian countries have to offer instead of the ridiculously high prices in Europe or wherever. 

Banks in Australia have been encouraging online banking big time. Why? ATM machines don't draw wages superannuation etc. Big big savings. In the Netherlands when I lived there you hardly saw any bank branches Just ATMs and most banking is done online. But the good old Anz in Aus has another way to stop people using branches and do online banking. They employ women and men who are gossips as tellers. They let these tellers just chat away to the customer and hold up the people in the line.  It worked on me because I became an online banker

15 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

Banks in Australia have been encouraging online banking big time. Why? ATM machines don't draw wages superannuation etc. Big big savings. In the Netherlands when I lived there you hardly saw any bank branches Just ATMs and most banking is done online. But the good old Anz in Aus has another way to stop people using branches and do online banking. They employ women and men who are gossips as tellers. They let these tellers just chat away to the customer and hold up the people in the line.  It worked on me because I became an online banker

The biggest bank in Norway does now have 3 offices left in the cap. city, guess those will vanish pretty soon.

The also want drastic reductions in #ATMs, they argue strongly for a cashless society.

A big chain, a bit similar to HomePro, will as of Monday start refusing to receive cash, in many of its stores.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, tifino said:

you would pay that much again, if you select the 'Currency Conversion Now' option

plus, back home, there's a further AU$3.50 (80baht) taken

Get a low interest no transaction fee account for pensioners and save your $3.50

Alas you still get screwed by the Thai banks and no lube to sooth the screwing ????

11 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

Get a low interest no transaction fee account for pensioners and save your $3.50

Alas you still get screwed by the Thai banks and no lube to sooth the screwing ????

Yes Thai ATMs are clever with surcharges if you withdraw cash with a foreign

Visa or Master card, 220 isn't it?

Last week I tested my foreign Amex card in a SCB or BB ATM,

surprise surprise, surcharge was only 50 baht.

Using your Thai bank ATM to withdraw cash is free from your bank if it is in that city where you open the account. Outside that city is 10 - 20 bath from any bank including your own bank.
Using a foreign ATM card you will be charged indeed 200+ bath (I started paying 120 bath).
But that is not only in Thailand. Try using your card in Cambodia and you will be charged a similar amount. Try Belgium or Holland using a Chinese bank ATM card for example, it's also not free.
However, opening an account in Thailand is free except for the ATM card you have to pay but after that you won't be charged for keeping that account. In Holland for example you are charged 100 bath per month for having an account. Yes ATM card is free (actually you're paying for that with that monthly fee) but depositing money using an ATM machine is not free for every bank. In Thailand (if it is your bank in that same city you open the account) is free. In China is also free.
And what about online banking in Thailand? When you make a transaction from one bank to another the receiver gets the amount almost instantly. Try that in Holland on a weekend or in the evening and ask yourself why you can't get the money immediately? Yes thieves everywhere you'd say so where is the grass greener?
I'd say stop complaining and take the good with the bad. Pay for the fee that is necessary and enjoy all the good and cheap or even free things (e.g. no parking fee at malls) Thailand and other South East Asian countries have to offer instead of the ridiculously high prices in Europe or wherever. 

Your ATM card should be no-fees in the province of the account, not the city.

You do not have to pay for an ATM card either, you can make cardless withdrawals using the bank app.

There are more bank branches in the US today than there was 20 years ago, and I would guess it the same in Thailand.

In Thailand there seems to be small branches opening everywhere.

In the US banks sometimes have branches in large grocery stores.

ATMs have been around for 50 years and online banking at least 20.

7 hours ago, Marvin28 said:

"However, opening an account in Thailand is free except for the ATM card you have to pay but after that you won't be charged for keeping that account."

And many Thai banks charge annual fees on ATM cards, but some have 'promotions' or whatever and you can year by year get the annual ATM fee waived.

My question is:  can I walk into my local Bangkok Bank branch, where I have my account and get money off my American DEBIT card (from my credit union) without being charged a fee??  I have never tried this, but I can't imagine getting money for no fee, simply because I am a Bangkok Bank customer. Practices common in western banks are alien to to Thai thinking.

My question is:  can I walk into my local Bangkok Bank branch, where I have my account and get money off my American DEBIT card (from my credit union) without being charged a fee??  I have never tried this, but I can't imagine getting money for no fee, simply because I am a Bangkok Bank customer. Practices common in western banks are alien to to Thai thinking.

Can you walk into your US bank branch where you have your account and get money off your Thailand DEBIT card without any fees?

In any event, that finically responsible people use debit cards is curious.

Quite a few posts bemoaning the greed of banks. But really, folks, have Thai banks only just become greedy? Is it something new?

Here's the bad news. All Thais are greedy, even your Thai friend who you don't think is greedy, is greedy. Engineer your own demonstration of this, but trust me, all Thais are money-hungry. All Thais will bend or break rules to get an extra dollar. It's nothing new. People occasionally castigate me for being (in their words) ant-Thai. I'm not anti-Thai, I would criticise Thai-like behaviour in whatever country I saw it. I just notice the way people behave and I happen to live (at the moment) in Thailand..

All Thais are venal, every single person, it's a part of their propagandised history and their existing culture - and it's getting worst as the economy continues to decline. The wet-dream is finally dragging itself towards it's own extinction, and it's taken a good few people a goodly amount of effort to create the circumstances in which it will die..

Right now the banks are trying to cement the horrendous profits their concessions and 'donations' mean they can get from the Thai public, who, to the landed barons and the big guy have only ever been a means of topping up the trough, aided and abetted by their religious hierarchy. Look around you and see price-gouging at it's finest. Don't look at price comparisons with other countries, they're all bogus and meaningless. Look at profit margins and the black profits (profits not declared for tax purposes). Other countries are the same of course, and other companies - look at Apple for a fine example of unfettered greed, and Apple's about to get an outstanding come-uppance, som nam na.

Ask where Thai banks got their seed capital, the answer is in the golden triangle. These people are no strangers to greed, dishonesty or price-gouging. Or morality. Look at the margin between borrowing money and loaning money that banks have, that ought to tell a story for the Thai apologists.

One needs to be careful in Thailand, it's the wild, wild East.

Just now, mogandave said:

Seem to me the banks provide a service, and the people wanting to get the services free are greedy.

Where are all the countries without greedy people?

Never existed friend, there has always been greed and there has always been the people who try to become a better mate than their neighbour by being dishonest and/or corrupt. Time-honoured tradition as old as history.

Never existed friend, there has always been greed and there has always been the people who try to become a better mate than their neighbour by being dishonest and/or corrupt. Time-honoured tradition as old as history.

And it’s typically the greediest squeaking the loudest about others being greedy...

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Seem to me the banks provide a service, and the people wanting to get the services free are greedy.

Where are all the countries without greedy people?

There's also the point that banks take your cash, then loan it out to others or invest it, and make a good return but give the 'owner' of the money a very small cut of the earnings.   

Bank gets the best deal / actual owner of the money gets little, but still has to pay various bank charges.

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And it’s typically the greediest squeaking the loudest about others being greedy...

BKK Bank charge me nothing to withdraw cash here.Use the other Banks machine and they do. I dont expect any service free not being of the Entitled Generation and bit worn around the edges

Archived