Received my new passport, how to transfer visa

6 hours ago, statman78 said:

Thanks for the information.  It is a good reminder about a copy of the old passport.  It has been my experience that immigration always makes me sign copies of documents.  Is it wise to sign all of the copies before I get to the immigration office.?  I found the form to transfer stamps to a new passport.  I don't see any TM number on it.  I found it in several locations and in each location it is always addressed to Bangkok Immigration.  I have not found a generic form.  I will be going to Chiang Rai Immigration.

Once I get my stamps transferred to my new passport I will apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

why transfer stamps to new pp with all the head aches involved, I had the same problem and carried 2 passports without a problem, next month have to get new extension of stay and the stamps for the extension will go to the nee passport, simple and much easier

12 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I went home to Europe last May and while there got a new passport. Because my old one was still valid for another 7 months I continued to use it for my return to Thailand..and thereafter (to avoid the hassle of producing the new one). However the time came this month to start using my new PP. Upon enquiry I was told in Soi 5 that I would have to have my new PP "confirmed" by my Embassy and bring the confirmation letter back to Soi 5 before they would transfer the necessary stamps (I was applying for my yearly extension)....All of which I did.

The bit the bugged me the most was that my Embassy charged me 4000Bt. for the privilege of "confirming the PP that they had sold me in the first place".

Get this...my government sold me my passport and then made me pay 4000 Bt. to confirm that it wasn't a copy (dud). The way some people talk on here you would think this stuff doesn't happen outside this country. 

How can you have 2 valid passports? They normally void the old one when they give you the new one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, balo said:

I got the letter from the Norwegian embassy for free and went to immigration , in and out within 10 minutes , they just transfered the stamps. 

I believe, up til now anyway, the British Embassy does as well. Not sure how it works since the passports are issued from UK now. Last new PP I had the details were transferred at the airport when I was flying to Korea. Carried both old and new for about 6 months. Multi O visa, not extension, and no letter was needed or asked for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, anfh said:

If, however, you get a visa issued within Thailand by immigration, which appears in pass port as stamps, not actual paper visa stuck in, they will transfer stamps etc to new passport along with extension stamps . ( at least that is what they did for me, but , as is customary in Thailand , this may not be be the correct or usual practice in all immigration departments etc )

Strictly those issued by IO in Thailand are not Visas. but a conversion of whatever you used as original entry into Thailand. Be it a visa waiver, or a tourist visa into a Non-Imm O entry, retroactively. It cannot be used to enter the country!

Also Non Imm O Visas issued by an Embassy overseas do appear as stamps in your passport rather than the TV stickers. 

20 hours ago, balo said:

I got the letter from the Norwegian embassy for free and went to immigration , in and out within 10 minutes , they just transfered the stamps. 

Balo

I had the same experience today although I waited a little longer. Here is my experience in Chiang Rai. I gave the IO my new passport, my old passport and the letter from the US Consulate in Chiang Mai where the processed my new passport.  He had me sit down and wait about 20 minutes. He made copies of the pages in my old passport that had my old Thai visas then had me sign the copies.  He made notations in my passport for the date I arrived on my SETV and when I changed that to a non-

imm visa.  He then told me that I could apply for extension of stay at the end of this month since my 90 day stay on the non-imm visa ends January 28.  I then did my 90 day report since my entry into Thailand was 14 Sept.

• Like 1

You will need a Transfer visa stamp to new passport doc, similar to what I have attached below. You can get it of the document section on line from the Thailand Immigration site.

You will also need copies of your old and new passport and of your TM6 arrival card.

See attachment below docs required

Its free no cost at Jomtien. Drop off and pick up next day.

TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT.pdf

DOCS REQUIRED TRANSFER OF VISA TO NEW PASSPORT.pdf

On 12/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not transfer visas. If you have a valid visa in your old passport you can use it by showing both passports on entry to use the visa.

Immigration only transfers stamps they have done. If you have an extension of stay issued by they will transfer it and other relevant stamps to your new passport. They will also do a stamp with spaces for info about you old passport and the visa you used to enter the country.

Udon Thani Immigration charged me today 500 Baht for transfer stamps from old in new Passport, no confirmation paper received. I thought is free of charge. ????

Phuket office did not ask me for a letter.  No fees.  Gave them photocopies of old and new passport pages they requested.  There is a stamp for the sticker visa from the old passport and the entry stamp with it on the new passport.  Also stamps on the new passport for the latest extension stamp, latest entry stamp, and multiple re-entry permit from the old passport.  I was out in 30 minutes.  Could had been faster but he had a tray full of rubber stamps, need to find the correct ones, then stamp them on paper to make sure they are really the right ones. ????

On 12/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, dotpoom said:

Get this...my government sold me my passport and then made me pay 4000 Bt.

If you get the passport from the Embassy, I guess they would not charge. But you got it in your home country and want the embassy to verify it. How do they know if it is fake or not? That's why the charge.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:05 AM, jacko45k said:

Strictly those issued by IO in Thailand are not Visas. but a conversion of whatever you used as original entry into Thailand. Be it a visa waiver, or a tourist visa into a Non-Imm O entry, retroactively. It cannot be used to enter the country!

Also Non Imm O Visas issued by an Embassy overseas do appear as stamps in your passport rather than the TV stickers. 

True, had a new passport from the UK via Bangkok at CM they put in all necessary information to the new pp   quit easy no hassle,also did not need any confirmation letter from the embassy in BK.

Edited by akampa

On 12/7/2018 at 7:05 AM, jacko45k said:

Non O visas issued outside Thailand are generally full page stickers.

Last time I had a rubber stamp visa was in UK around 2003/4.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Non O visas issued outside Thailand are generally full page stickers.

Last time I had a rubber stamp visa was in UK around 2003/4.

It is some years since I used them, they were all stamped into my passport. My last one, which I have extended multiple times, is a red stamp. That was late 2008. Sorry if my old info misled.

57 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is some years since I used them, they were all stamped into my passport. My last one, which I have extended multiple times, is a red stamp. That was late 2008. Sorry if my old info misled.

I believe there may be a few places that still do rubber stamp visas. Biggest problem is obviously it's easier to make a false one, printed visas a bit more difficult.

Edited by overherebc

On 12/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration only transfers stamps they have done.

"ubonjoe"

Udon Thani Immigration charged me 500 Baht for transfer stamps from old in new Passport, no confirmation paper received. I thought is free of charge. 

Is it usually free if charge?

I have a history of Tea money there, for extension of stay - too.

????