Received my new passport, how to transfer visa

I just received my new US passport now I need to transfer my Thai visa.  I also received a letter from the US Embassy which I was told I should give to Thai immigration.  I will take my new passport, the embassy letter and my old passport with my TM6 to immigration.  Is there anything else I need?  Does it cost anything?  How long does it  take?

Thanks for your help.

When transferring my extension (retirement) and multiple re-entry stamps a year or so ago to a new US passport (obtained in the US), I didn't need any confirmation letter at Chiangmai Immigration.  Other offices, however, may require that.

Other than filling out the Immigration form (don't remember the TM number but it's simply titled "Transfer Stamp to New Passport"), you will need a photocopy of your old passport (photo page and every single page that has any stamp on it).  And best to make sure the photocopies are all horizontal (some of my copies were vertical and an intern attempted to reject them....although an Immigration officer later intervened and overruled the intern).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I went home to Europe last May and while there got a new passport. Because my old one was still valid for another 7 months I continued to use it for my return to Thailand..and thereafter (to avoid the hassle of producing the new one). However the time came this month to start using my new PP. Upon enquiry I was told in Soi 5 that I would have to have my new PP "confirmed" by my Embassy and bring the confirmation letter back to Soi 5 before they would transfer the necessary stamps (I was applying for my yearly extension)....All of which I did.

The bit the bugged me the most was that my Embassy charged me 4000Bt. for the privilege of "confirming the PP that they had sold me in the first place".

Get this...my government sold me my passport and then made me pay 4000 Bt. to confirm that it wasn't a copy (dud). The way some people talk on here you would think this stuff doesn't happen outside this country. 

i had similar problems--i usually do small trips to a neighbouring country every 90 days..

i got visa stamp transferred to new passport, but several times i had problems at immigration....

nz embassy say old passport is 'cancelled' as soon as new one is issued---lucky i didnt throw it away...

i now have new non o , in my new passport----hoping to be problem -free for next 9 years ?????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I went home to Europe last May and while there got a new passport. Because my old one was still valid for another 7 months I continued to use it for my return to Thailand..and thereafter (to avoid the hassle of producing the new one). However the time came this month to start using my new PP. Upon enquiry I was told in Soi 5 that I would have to have my new PP "confirmed" by my Embassy and bring the confirmation letter back to Soi 5 before they would transfer the necessary stamps (I was applying for my yearly extension)....All of which I did.

The bit the bugged me the most was that my Embassy charged me 4000Bt. for the privilege of "confirming the PP that they had sold me in the first place".

Get this...my government sold me my passport and then made me pay 4000 Bt. to confirm that it wasn't a copy (dud). The way some people talk on here you would think this stuff doesn't happen outside this country. 

Had same problem couple of years ago after getting my new pp in Oz, went to Jomtiem immi to renew my ext of stay, young lady ask for letter confirm is not fake pp, she tell me go Oz embassy get letter, this was on a Friday arvo, I said my current ext of stay expire tomorrow, she just smiled, said no problem,go your embassy Monday, bring letter Monday and I do ext for you no problems. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I went home to Europe last May and while there got a new passport.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Both statements can not be true. If the embassy sold you your passport then you did not get it at home in Europe..........................or vice versa. 

51 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Had same problem couple of years ago after getting my new pp in Oz, went to Jomtiem immi to renew my ext of stay, young lady ask for letter confirm is not fake pp, she tell me go Oz embassy get letter, this was on a Friday arvo, I said my current ext of stay expire tomorrow, she just smiled, said no problem,go your embassy Monday, bring letter Monday and I do ext for you no problems. 

I didn't need this letter from the OZ embassy. I did mine last year in Nonthaburi. As far as I know, Australia and South Korea are the two countries that don't do this letter. Initially, they tried to ask for the letter, but she was corrected by another officer. There should be a DFAT stamp in your passport. They use this to confirm it is not fake. I would double check with the embassy before making a trip there for it. 

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

When transferring my extension (retirement) and multiple re-entry stamps a year or so ago to a new US passport (obtained in the US), I didn't need any confirmation letter at Chiangmai Immigration.  Other offices, however, may require that.

Other than filling out the Immigration form (don't remember the TM number but it's simply titled "Transfer Stamp to New Passport"), you will need a photocopy of your old passport (photo page and every single page that has any stamp on it).  And best to make sure the photocopies are all horizontal (some of my copies were vertical and an intern attempted to reject them....although an Immigration officer later intervened and overruled the intern).

Thanks for the information.  It is a good reminder about a copy of the old passport.  It has been my experience that immigration always makes me sign copies of documents.  Is it wise to sign all of the copies before I get to the immigration office.?  I found the form to transfer stamps to a new passport.  I don't see any TM number on it.  I found it in several locations and in each location it is always addressed to Bangkok Immigration.  I have not found a generic form.  I will be going to Chiang Rai Immigration.

Once I get my stamps transferred to my new passport I will apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by statman78

52 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Leaving the country every 90 days will probably necessitate a new passport before 9 years is up. 

fair enough---i will probably have visited all the neighbouring countries and got bored with all the small trips, well before the passport  fills up-so may travel less--i just play things by 'air'..

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I didn't need this letter from the OZ embassy. I did mine last year in Nonthaburi. As far as I know, Australia and South Korea are the two countries that don't do this letter. Initially, they tried to ask for the letter, but she was corrected by another officer. There should be a DFAT stamp in your passport. They use this to confirm it is not fake. I would double check with the embassy before making a trip there for it. 

I should add, I''m referring to an extension of stay, not visas. 

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

It has been my experience that immigration always makes me sign copies of documents.  Is it wise to sign all of the copies before I get to the immigration office.?  I found the form to transfer stamps to a new passport.  I don't see any TM number on it.  I found it in several locations and in each location it is always addressed to Bangkok Immigration.  I have not found a generic form.  I will be going to Chiang Rai Immigration.

Yes, sign all the passport copies before you go and they won't bug you about it at Immigration....and use blue ink (on everything with Immigration).  

The form you found is the proper one (although CM Immigration wouldn't accept the online one as it refers to the Bangkok office so they furnished their own form....my guess is Chiangrai will be okay with the online form).  Sorry...it apparently has no TM number (just checked my old copy).  Just to the right of your signature, write your telephone number (they usually request that).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Both statements can not be true. If the embassy sold you your passport then you did not get it at home in Europe..........................or vice versa. 

I know what you mean Dotpom.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not transfer visas. If you have a valid visa in your old passport you can use it by showing both passports on entry to use the visa.

Immigration only transfers stamps they have done. If you have an extension of stay issued by they will transfer it and other relevant stamps to your new passport. They will also do a stamp with spaces for info about you old passport and the visa you used to enter the country.

So do you have to carry two passports every time you go to immigration joe.

Edited by vogie

Yes, it is the height of irrational (and costly red tape) that Thai immigration does now (and has already for a couple of years) made it a requirement for transferral of stamps from old to new PP, that you get a letter (easy to copy/fake) from embassy that guarantees that your new passport (Very hard to fake) is genuine. What the 'minds/brains' of bureaucrats are able to come up with is mind boggling. We should give them something useful to do, like digging holes and filling them in a again. 

24 minutes ago, vogie said:

So do you have to carry two passports when you go to immigration joe.

You would only have to use both passports if you had a valid multiple entry visa issued by a embassy or consulate in the old one when you enter the country to use it.

If you  have an extension of stay issued by immigration and have them transfer your stamps you do not need to use your old passport anymore. They will do a stamp that has spaces for info about the visa you used to get the non immigrant visa entry you have been extending.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not transfer visas. If you have a valid visa in your old passport you can use it by showing both passports on entry to use the visa.

Immigration only transfers stamps they have done. If you have an extension of stay issued by they will transfer it and other relevant stamps to your new passport. They will also do a stamp with spaces for info about you old passport and the visa you used to enter the country.

Not true

they will transfer vusa etc that is whole point of having the ketter from Embassy, it confirms new passport is real so they can transfer visa.

did mine in February. 

15 minutes ago, anfh said:

they will transfer vusa etc that is whole point of having the ketter from Embassy, it confirms new passport is real so they can transfer visa.

They do not transfer visas that were issued by an embassy or consulate. Immigration only transfers stamps that they have done in a passport.

You probably had an extension of stay that is not a visa that was transfered.

They do not transfer visas that were issued by an embassy or consulate. Immigration only transfers stamps that they have done in a passport.
You probably had an extension of stay that is not a visa that was transfered.

They transferred the whole lot to new passport.

ANFH

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Get this....

Most modern governments in the world charge for governments services.

Just part of being a privileged citizen of your country. ????

See attached.
One is a visa the other is an extension of stay.
1936359918_images(41).jpeg.6015f9a1b9a18f6373eb0ee70cd91312.jpeg
152729109_images(42).jpeg.cce74b454642a37791f672eb7e7d43f7.jpeg

Correct, but that Visa is the paper ones stuck in passport and issued in foreign embassy/consulates etc, which , as stated elsewhere, would not be transferred to new passport.

If, however, you get a visa issued within Thailand by immigration, which appears in pass port as stamps, not actual paper visa stuck in, they will transfer stamps etc to new passport along with extension stamps . ( at least that is what they did for me, but , as is customary in Thailand , this may not be be the correct or usual practice in all immigration departments etc )

ANFH

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Problem was that I got my new pp in Melbourne not here in Los, there probably not aware of any such requirements for o/s immi offices. 

52 minutes ago, anfh said:

Correct, but that Visa is the paper ones stuck in passport and issued in foreign embassy/consulates etc, which , as stated elsewhere, would not be transferred to new passport.

If, however, you get a visa issued within Thailand by immigration, which appears in pass port as stamps, not actual paper visa stuck in, they will transfer stamps etc to new passport along with extension stamps . ( at least that is what they did for me, but , as is customary in Thailand , this may not be be the correct or usual practice in all immigration departments etc )

ANFH

So they transferred your extension of stay. The visa that it was based on has expired and is only noted as the basis for the extension.

My one year 'visa' I can use for 17 months but even if I get a new passport they don't transfer it, they just note it is still valid.