Why do Thais feel cold at 23 degrees?

RamenRaven

16 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

I was expecting everyone here to agree with me, but then everybody here is as thin-blooded and cold-intolerant as a typical Thai, even people from cold countries. Why? Is it because you are all older?

None of my Farang friends in Thailand would think that 20 degrees is cold, so I wasn't expecting these responses. You're all making me feel like a polar bear or space alien 5555.

Weeeeeeell! If the sandal fits....wear it! You alien you!  ????

Add me to the list of those who don't tolerate well the chill in the air.  The perfect temperature for me is about 85°F, 29°C.  I grew up in Minnesota and for 60 years endured the winters; many days I actually enjoyed being out in the cold.  But overall, I lived for the summers.

Plenty of other foreigners cannot withstand the heat.  There is only one air conditioner in my house here...in my bedroom.  But I've turned it on only once in my 9 years here, and that was for only a few seconds just to see if it worked.  With open windows on three sides of my bedroom plus a fan, I sleep quite comfortably even on the hottest nights. 

This photo was taken here in Chiang Mai on what had to be a 95°F, 35°C day.  That's not me!  You've all seen similar Thais.  This, I find truly puzzling, however.

Ratchapreuk Floral Expo Feb 11 2012  Parka at 90+ degrees.JPG

16 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

This photo was taken here in Chiang Mai on what had to be a 95°F, 35°C day.  That's not me!  You've all seen similar Thais.  This, I find truly puzzling, however.

You never asked anyone about this ?  About the first thing I did so long ago I can't remember as senility creeps in.

That is bright sun and bright sun causes brown skin. And dark skin is NOT what we a re about. You are going to say that does not make sense. Many things do not make sense. 

Hey Lets Mambo!

Old Saint Nick is a jolly good man
He can Mambo like no man can
When he Mambo's all the kiddies say
Mambo Santa mambo

Mambo Santa mambo
Mambo Santa mambo

........... ............ ............ .......... 

We want to see Santa do the Mambo, the Mambo
See Santa do the Mambo, the Mambo
See Santa do the Mambo, the Mambo
Mambo Santa Claus

Edited by LomSak27
  • Haha 1

When the wind is blowing I need a shawl to keep me warm.  Even the Andaman sea can sometimes feel cold to me.  24C and I wear tights/trousers to keep me warm.  Lived for 58 years in the UK and was permanently cold.  Mistakenly went back in April one year - never again - so bloomin' cold.

I stand by my post

The Thais I have asked all say they are doing it so they don't get dark - er skin. But don't believe me ask yourself  :thumbsup:

Hey Lets Mambo!

Old Saint Nick is a jolly good man
He can Mambo like no man can
When he Mambo's all the kiddies say
Mambo Santa mambo

Mambo Santa mambo
Mambo Santa mambo

Mambo Santa mambo

Mambo Santa mambo
Mambo Santa mambo

21 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

I was expecting everyone here to agree with me, but then everybody here is as thin-blooded and cold-intolerant as a typical Thai, even people from cold countries. Why? Is it because you are all older?

None of my Farang friends in Thailand would think that 20 degrees is cold, so I wasn't expecting these responses. You're all making me feel like a polar bear or space alien 5555.

In Thailand I wear a hoodie on the bike below 23... in Canada I wear shorts at 15... living here for 12 years and not yet 50yrs old... to each their own.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, RamenRaven said:

Then how did you even survive all those decades of living in Britain?

The UK almost never reaches 25 C, so maybe you were cold every single second of your life. Either that or you must have gone Thai.

The secret to surviving English weather is not going out in boxers, a string vest and flip flops.

The first time my wife went to the UK she could not get her head around people out sun bathing when it was only 17 C

Second trip in September 2016, as the plane was landing at Heathrow at 7.00 pm the pilot announced that the local temperature was 32 !! Stayed like that for three days and never dropped below 25 for our whole 3 week trip.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 2:05 PM, Bill Miller said:

Middletown CT in the US, near to where I grew up, has an average climatic range in the course of a year of 20F to 84F, or a sixty degree F range.

Lived in Dawson City 25 years. Minus 57C to 35 C

No that is a swing !

• Like 1

When Thais are complaining about how cold it is I just show them a video clip from my native Norway to remind them Thailand is warm . 

Even the US marines were struggling in this clip. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Like some other posters said, it's the temperature range swings, and it's not about acclimatizing to the heat. I am well acclimatized to the heat in Thailand, but that has not made me any less cold tolerant either.

Thais are also shocked at how many Westerners are actually walking out at noontime in 35 C weather, whereas Thais all want to stay in the shade. Then 15 C weather comes around and the same Farangs are all wearing 1shorts.

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

Different genetics.

It's just like how Thai people always wonder why farang complain about weather being hot when it's only 30C or walk around shirtless.

It's because whenever average temperatures go above 30 C in Farangland, Farangs all literally drop dead like flies as national emergencies are declared. The last time France reached Thai temperatures, tens of thousands of French people literally died. Not fun.

On the contrary, temperatures drop below 15 C and cold emergencies are declared in Thailand as some people actually die from it. That's warm weather for some Farangs, because anything above freezing is not really cold to them.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, canthai55 said:

Lived in Dawson City 25 years. Minus 57C to 35 C

On 12/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, balo said:

When Thais are complaining about how cold it is I just show them a video clip from my native Norway to remind them Thailand is warm . 

I hate the cold having lived in Alaska for 25 years. But at least I was mostly in Anchorage where -40 F is maybe only for a week or two. Canthai55 is a real man, Dawson City is a freaking icebox. As bad as Fairbanks.

Then again, I sweat like a pig here. I dont get cold, I just sweat less.

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I hate the cold having lived in Alaska for 25 years. But at least I was mostly in Anchorage where -40 F is maybe only for a week or two. Canthai55 is a real man, Dawson City is a freaking icebox. As bad as Fairbanks.

Then again, I sweat like a pig here. I dont get cold, I just sweat less.

Also I think it got something to do with your body fat, most Thais are skinny compared to westerners.   I am tall and slim myself , I feel I do not sweat or complain as much as other westerners here.  But I hated the winters back in Norway, my hands and toes turns blue under 5 degrees Celsius. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

Today a big marathon was held in downtown Chiang Mai. It was only 17 C, but hairy Farang dudes were running shirtless all over the city, with sweat oozing out of their skins like there's no tomorrow. I talked to a few of them, who said it was really warm and humid. They're not long-term expats of course.

Meanwhile, Thais were running around with long sleeves and hardly breaking a sweat. I heard Thai people everywhere say "naaw."

The difference was so profound that it was just amusing to watch.

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2018 at 6:29 AM, ZeVonderBearz said:

They're told it's winter therefore it must be cold, they like the novelty of being able to wear a jacket for a reason other than protecting that white skin look so they don't get the dark peasant skin and it's actually colder than you think if you go out early morning/late night, especially on a motorbike. 

This.