Latest from USA Embassy as of 14 December

Let me put my conspiracy hat on for a second, but take a look at the two countries which have Embassies NOT verifying income letters: the US and UK. Which two countries globally are attempting to reduce immigration into their countries, US (Trump) and UK (Brexit).

In order to grow your economy you need a rising population. What is one way to increase your population and bring $$$ back into the country? Bring back retirees and Expats.

The fact of the matter is, anyone in the UN is a part of the Global migration pact, so their may be bureaucratic areas that have to roll back rules once your country withdraws from the global agreements.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, swineninety9 said:

Let me put my conspiracy hat on for a second, but take a look at the two countries which have Embassies NOT verifying income letters: the US and UK. Which two countries globally are attempting to reduce immigration into their countries, US (Trump) and UK (Brexit).

In order to grow your economy you need a rising population. What is one way to increase your population and bring $$$ back into the country? Bring back retirees and Expats.

The fact of the matter is, anyone in the UN is a part of the Global migration pact, so their may be bureaucratic areas that have to roll back rules once your country withdraws from the global agreements.

A rising population is needed to cover pyramid-schemes like social-security and "money created by loans at interest" banking (always more owed to pay back than exists, so need more loans ad-infinitum).  But, if those were replaced with sane alternatives (will have to happen, eventually), automation / tech / increased worker-efficiency plus an abundance of relatively-inexpensive energy can raise the standard of living of everyone - even faster with declining populations than with increasing ones.

As to motivations (or not) for our return,- from a USA perspective - I would not put it past governments to try to reel-in expats, in order to tax our spending, even though our old-age costs in-country (vs abroad) will far exceed those gains - just because that is how short-sighted their planning is.  But, on the other hand: 

• Most of those who returned would not be having children / expanding the population significantly. 
  • If the govt wanted to save money, they would encourage the retired to live abroad, and pay for 1/10 health-insurance and lower drug costs (vs Medicaid costs in-country) and lower housing-costs. 
  • The USA is still allowing well over 1-Million "legal" immigrants into the country each year, plus those pouring in illegally - now at record-levels thanks to empty-bluster and almost no workforce-enforcement; most of these having multiple "birthright citizenship" children. 
  • Most expats, if they had to leave Thailand, would not go back to live within the territory we once knew as "The USA," so this policy-change in Thailand would not achieve the goal.

16 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Certain worldwide immigration they are practically rolling out the red carpet for the immigrants... Like Mexicans into America or middle easterners into the Euro countries.....

But its plainly obvious they are not rolling out the red carpet for westerners to immigrate to Asia....  

It is easy for Americans to live in most of Latin America, or Cambodia, The Philippines, or ... if we are going to throw out conspiracies, note the 1-year Tourist Visas for Vietnam that were negotiated by the USA.  Maybe they think our presence / spending would be more strategically useful there, than in Thailand, which may be cooling relations with the USA / West in general? 

• Like 2

Many existing visa/extension holders may not be aware of the change that numerous Embassies in Thailand will no longer issue "affidavits of stated income". What will happen to those uniformed of the change, who waited until their regular renewal time in 2019?. It will be a big shock realizing there will be no new "extension of stay", and they have missed the "seasoning period" for the 800K.

This is a Thai thing, other countries let you verify a letter of income form SS. It costs about 8 bucks.

Thai government wants the money in a Thai Bank. They are going to do everything they can to get it there at this point.

Who cares? it would be different if all the other countries that want expats did the same thing. But they don't!

Let them have their country, I say good ridden.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Many existing visa/extension holders may not be aware of the change that numerous Embassies in Thailand will no longer issue "affidavits of stated income". What will happen to those uniformed of the change, who waited until their regular renewal time in 2019?. It will be a big shock realizing there will be no new "extension of stay", and they have missed the "seasoning period" for the 800K.

In fairness to the American Embassy, I gather that they did inform those individuals who are enrolled with them under the State Department's STEP program (in all probability the majority of Americans living in LOS). On the other hand, the British Embassy have informed me that, in their view, the General Data Protection Regulation introduced last May prevented them from similarly notifying affected British nationals direct.

Don't know for certain what, if any, advance warning the Australian and Danish embassies provided to their nationals individually, however.

Edited by OJAS

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you are calling the SSA FBU a family support unit. I have never heard of a FSU.

From the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

"If you are living in Thailand, you MUST contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines directly."

The FBU has been in Manila for many years.

I have tried contacting the FBU via email numerous times.  Other than the automated response that states they will respond in  5 days... They never respond.

45 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I think this is very good point. Expats I sometimes run into, have never used Thaivisa. The Thai visa forum in particular keeps us up date with "changes". However as banana mentioned, there will be lot of people unaware of some embassies not issuing affidavits shortly. The s*** maybe hasn't hit fan just yet.

58 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

If you look at the current Police Order at 2.22 it lists both the 800K baht in the bank method and the 'evidence' of 65K baht monthly income method with no preference shown for either method.

True - but the $64,000 question is whether the monthly income method will, to all intents and purposes, be completely dead in the water from the middle of next year - at least as far as Americans, Aussies, Brits and Danes are concerned.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

True - but the $64,000 question is whether the monthly income method will, to all intents and purposes, be completely dead in the water from the middle of next year - at least as far as Americans, Aussies, Brits and Danes are concerned.

Nah it's only about $25,000 but who knows what's on the minds of the IMM top brass.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As the old saying goes, "You can't fight city hall." During my 1st year living in Thailand a person who wanted to steal all of my belongings, tore the reentry slip from my passport, when I went to the US Embassy and behind the private curtain to the right, I was told to pack my bags and leave Thailand the next day. I then went to the Thai Embassy and was told by a high-ups officer to get a certain document from the US Embassy to fill out, and he even gave me a copy of such document. When I showed the copy of the document, I was accused of stealing it, and they said the document would do me no good, after pleading for several minutes, they gave me the document which I took back to the Thai office and he gave me a new re entry slip, which I presented to the US Officer causing him to loose face! Don't trust them, their not here to help you. 

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

The only way to prove that would be to prove you've used the 800k for living expenses throughout the year then replenish it every year, three months before your extension is due.

Well I submit 3 months of passbook copies showing numerous withdrawals during that time. But let's not wish the requirements to be too stringent. They just want to see you have enough and it hasn't been borrowed for a few days.

There is no such thing as a "Family Support Unit", Counselor. Nor has there ever been such a thing here in Bangkok. There is and always has been the American Citizen Services unit of the U.S. Consulate, which serves the passport and affidavit notarization needs of U.S. citizens. The embassy has decided, for good reason, that they can no longer be put in the position of notarizing potentially fraudulent statements for whatever purpose, especially when it concerns income declarations. If there are other embassies where ACS notarizes income affidavits, I'm sure they are also reconsidering it and will also cease doing so. The extra time required to verify income exceeds the capacity of the staffing of the unit. As the website clearly states: Services we CANNOT provide: 

• Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge: e.g. that the document satisfies specific a legal requirement, that a person is the spouse of another, or an individual is an employee of a certain business or corporation.

In any case, anyone who is not happy with this outcome can very easily demonstrate the required monthly income transferred to Thailand (if they have it) or the required amount deposited in a Thai bank. Since this is what we have all been swearing before the consular official to obtain the affidavit, I don't see what the problem is (unless of course you don't have the assets or income required).

• Like 2