Which embassies have cancelled issuing the affidavit? list?

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The cheapest way for most nationalities is to hand carry the money in cash in your local currency, and change it to baht at SuperRich (green) or Vasu.

If you are not planning to be in your home country, TransferWise tends to work out cheaper than a bank transfer, though this is not always true for large transfers.

Exactly correct. The are very poor methods such as home bank to thai bank or ATM. I have used OFX company same as transferwise. Not to bad. However as I go back au bring in large about in cash and as previously mentioned by britim exchange. Some maybe 0.5 baht better off. Doesn't sound much but 30k aud equates to up to 15kbaht better off. Sometimes less. 

21 hours ago, JackThompson said:

In some cases, they want the embassy letter in addition to additional supporting proof.  This has become standard in Chang Mai for Americans (not sure about Brits).

All Immigration officers have the right to ask to see the documents to support any income Letter, Sworn Affidavit or Statutory Declaration. Chiang Mai seemed to apply this more rigorously to US citizens whereas my personal experience was once in 6 years at Jomtien. Even then, she just looked at the statements as I held them out to her and waived them away without actually looking at anything.

Mind you, she was the same dim bulb that once waived my Certificate of Residence at me and demanded to know where and when I got it, regardless of this information being printed on the document. Pointing over her shoulder, I said, "From that chap over there about 45 minutes ago."

• Like 1

Doesn't it appear Thai immigration has something to do with this? As I understand it, the Thai  government is requiring income guarantees and the embassies are reluctant to guarantee any income amount for their citizens for various reasons--information security, lack of manpower, lack of dependable method, etc. Go for it if you think you will change their minds.

Based on my talks with Thai immigration, it seems the Thai government wants to see the money--B800k/yr or B65k/mo--deposited to a Thai bank.  Simply proving you have the money in a foreign bank is not enough.

I suggest you talk with your immigration officers to form your own opinions; however, since we all know Thai immigration has alternate interpretations, it may be best to just start depositing the money into a Thai bank. Then, at extension time, you can arrive at immigration with Thai bank statements in hand showing the required deposits. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smotherb said:

I suggest you talk with your immigration officers to form your own opinions;

I would not bother doing this until the next police-order goes into effect - and even then wait for some digestion of it at the local-level.

12 hours ago, smotherb said:

it may be best to just start depositing the money into a Thai bank. Then, at extension time, you can arrive at immigration with Thai bank statements in hand showing the required deposits. 

This is the prudent step - agreed.  And be sure the xfer method used causes the deposits to appear in bank-statements as "foreign" transfers.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, Russell17au said:

Thai Immigration will continue to accept letters of income from every country that issues then as there has been no change in the immigration laws and the letter of income is the requirement for the income system of finance for the visa extension applications. It is only that the 4 embassies are not issuing the letters of income to support their citizens visa extension applications

You should be careful using absolutes as it could lead to problems. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. There is no way any of us can be certain at this stage. People should at least prepare for the possibility they won't.

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I would not bother doing this until the next police-order goes into effect - and even then wait for some digestion of it at the local-level.

This is the prudent step - agreed.  And be sure the xfer method used causes the deposits to appear in bank-statements as "foreign" transfers.

While I am pleased to see you see some merit in my statements; I still believe you are better-off talking with the IOs and getting their opinions. As I said, and we all know, Thai immigration has alternate opinions--especially with new rules and their opinions may even differ within the same office. The IO who issued my first retirement extension is still in the same office he was eleven years ago; thus, my wife and I are well known to him, other IOs, and staff--they do see us several times a year for extensions, 90-day reports, and re-entry permits. The IO with whom I am best acquainted admits he is not always aware of the changes until they are made--like the two times (2015 and 2017) I was asked to provide monthly income in Thai banks--but he does have good insight and input to provide. Of course, since he has seen our finances and paperwork yearly, he is certain of our compliance and we have earned his respect. So, I must reiterate my advice, get to know your IOs, earn their respect, and they will talk to you.

• Thanks 1

You should catch up with things. The UK embassy ceased the accepting of applications for income letters on the 12th December, the US embassy ceases issuing affidavits on 31 December, the Australian embassy ceases witnessing Statutory Declarations for income on the 7th January and the Danish embassy has already ceased issuing letters of income from the end of November, so you should check your facts before posting.
Only the USA issues affidavits. I think your due diligence needs fine tuning before making BS statements
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, madmen said:
On 12/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, Russell17au said:
You should catch up with things. The UK embassy ceased the accepting of applications for income letters on the 12th December, the US embassy ceases issuing affidavits on 31 December, the Australian embassy ceases witnessing Statutory Declarations for income on the 7th January and the Danish embassy has already ceased issuing letters of income from the end of November, so you should check your facts before posting.

Only the USA issues affidavits. I think your due diligence needs fine tuning before making BS statements

The US affidavit and the Australian statutory declaration are pretty much the same thing. The income letters from the UK and Danish embassy were, indeed, qualitatively different.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

While I am pleased to see you see some merit in my statements; I still believe you are better-off talking with the IOs and getting their opinions. As I said, and we all know, Thai immigration has alternate opinions--especially with new rules and their opinions may even differ within the same office.

No disagreement about talking to them - but I think what they say now, before the new police order, reflecting the current rules, may be different from what comes after. 

But, even after the new order, there is likely to be the usual variation in interpretation - "add-ons," etc - from office-to-office and desk-to-desk, which is why a conversation of this sort at that time could have merit.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, overherebc said:

I get tax returns notices every year on two private pensions but not an individual return on my state pension. You would think that is enough proof.

I get tax statements on Federal, state and private annuity every year. Does it make a difference? Nope.Expats apparently have little impact on the Thai economy or they would have a different attitude. 

Edited by KhunFred

On 12/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, overherebc said:

I get tax returns notices every year on two private pensions but not an individual return on my state pension. You would think that is enough proof.

I get tax statements on Federal, state and private annuity every year. Does it make a difference? Nope.Expats apparently have little impact on the Thai economy or they would have a different attitude.