price, before going to check up,add total,and that is what i am going 

to pay,

Many times ,over the years there has been overcharges,from 20 THB

to one time 385 THB,BUT never have I been undercharged,the majority

I see shopping with trolley's full of stuff,they have no idea what the cost

of their shopping is and just pay what the checkout lady asks for.not

knowing they could be overcharged. you have to be careful at Makro

as they can scan an item twice,at other shops its the difference from

they price on the shelf and the price at checkout.

Not sure, but I think I remember one poster who said Tops have a policy 

of where if the price on the shelf is not the price at checkout you get

item free ? Happy shopping,and don't get overcharged the price of goods

is high enough.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Just a reminder to check the barcode on the product to make sure that it agrees with the posted price.  At various stores, I've found that occasionally goods get placed on shelves but the prices indicated are not for that specific item. 

Agree, I check the bar code number on the small label on the edge of the shelf against what's on the actual product. often mistakes.

But it is possible a customer has taken a product off the shelf a few minutes earlier and then put it back in a different position.  

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, I went shopping there last night and bought Sriracha pineapple which was clearly marked 35 Baht; same my wife had paid only about 3-4 days before. I bought 6 portions. I also bought a couple of other items and had an idea in my head what they cost. When I checked out and paid, it did seem a little high but honestly I had left my glasses in the car and couldn't see the bill too well.

Sure enough, when I reviewed the bill later I was charged 39 Baht for the Sriracha pineapple. O.K. 24 Baht overcharge and not enough for me to walk all the way back from Tesco across the busy road where I had parked, but 24 Baht extra from each customer at the end of the day could add up.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

When i go shopping ,I have a list of the goods I need and write

the price next to the product on the list,impulse stuff add to list with

to pay,

to one time 385 THB,BUT never have I been undercharged

regards worgeordie

Many times overcharges?

I often wonder about those that continuously claim they are the victim of this.

In 10 years coming here, 3 fulltime, it has never happened to me.  A few times undercharged.

Maybe it is lack of attention or demeanor at checkout? On your phone they feel you are not paying attention?  

Just saying for it to happen "many times" seems odd...

I've been there several times. Nice store and staff but they're not quite ready for prime time yet. Lots of little details they get wrong but I don't think the overcharging is intentional. One of the things I am not being overcharged is the American Breakfast at the restaurant counter...90 B for a generous plate including two eggs, ham,bacon, toast, coffee and juice. It beats the ridiculous breakfast fees at McDonalds and some downtown places.

Edited by searcher22

3 hours ago, searcher22 said:

I've been there several times. Nice store and staff but they're not quite ready for prime time yet. Lots of little details they get wrong but I don't think the overcharging is intentional. One of the things I am not being overcharged is the American Breakfast at the restaurant counter...90 B for a generous plate including two eggs, ham,bacon, toast, coffee and juice. It beats the ridiculous breakfast fees at McDonalds and some downtown places.

Restaurant counter?

As usual, they will say the staff is new. It's a new store so errors are bound to happen.

I haven't been there since it opened, might go there soon for bargains if any.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, brling said:

No surprise to here that our defender of all things Thai, has being undercharged a few times, but NEVER overcharged. I guess no Thai would overcharge. 

I think there must a (very small) collection of Thai shops that sell specific farangs very cheap undercharged rose tinted glasses and offer free lobotomies at a certain hospital just south of the SW corner of the moat.

• Like 1

Tops Supermarket? Theyre always doing it. Last time I went to Tops Festival I purchased an item ( Fresh Custard) clearly marked at 199....when I got home I realised they had charged 229. This has happened before. Didnt go back because my petrol to go back would cost more than the overcharge, but will check carefully from now on.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, worgeordie said:

When i go shopping ,I have a list of the goods I need and write

the price next to the product on the list,impulse stuff add to list with

to pay,

to one time 385 THB,BUT never have I been undercharged,the majority

I see shopping with trolley's full of stuff,they have no idea what the cost

of their shopping is and just pay what the checkout lady asks for.not

knowing they could be overcharged. you have to be careful at Makro

as they can scan an item twice,at other shops its the difference from

they price on the shelf and the price at checkout.

Not sure, but I think I remember one poster who said Tops have a policy 

of where if the price on the shelf is not the price at checkout you get

item free ? Happy shopping,and don't get overcharged the price of goods

is high enough.

regards worgeordie

At Makro I walk past the cart and girl and clock the screen as they input on the machine. Don't know if that makes a difference but never had an 'error' there. I've caught 'mistakes' made in almost every other retail I've shopped at. Some I believe are actual accidents but with the sheer number I've seen over the years they all can't be due to bad training.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"I am NOT advocating not shopping at the new supermarket at Ruamchok."  

Why not? By your own account, they are idiots who do not deserve your business. Other locations sell coffee and dog snacks. Go there. 

Why Not? Because I choose not to tell others what they should or should not do. But in your case, I will. You decide where you shop. I'll decide where I'll shop. I merely wanted to share my experience and let the reader decide for themselves how it may affect their own shopping decisions.  And I did not refer the Tops personnel as idiots and there is no cause for you to say so as well. 

The Point Of Sale is updated using their markup based on the price they paid.  This is sometimes not changed on the shelf because imagine and remember who the staff working there are.  

It is not a conspiracy for them to overcharge you... it will happen to anyone buying the product and it happens in farangland too.  

The product being in the wrong spot on the shelf is also not an overcharge issue.  Again, down to the stock person putting the product on the shelf or moving it and not having any detail to attention.  

Know what you're buying, take photos, double check the label UPC price with product.  
In these larger stores there is about a 99.9% chance the cashier has no way of ripping you off and does not benefit even from the overcharge.  
It's the other establishments that can do it.
Beware the convenience store clerks short changing you from a 1000 baht note.  They like to hold back a 100 baht note.

Happy shopping.

Edited by Nowisee

14 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

All discount price ticket items are for people with a tops loyalty card.

No card no discount.

It's in the small print on the discount ticket

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Yes, indeed that is true. In my case I've had the Tops loyalty card for 12 years and use it every time, but was still over-charged.

• Like 1