U.N. tells UK: Allow Assange to leave Ecuador embassy freely

rooster59

55 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The basis of the report is that Assange is ‘de facto detained’.

The actual truth is Assange is in the Ecuadorean embassy of his own free will.

He can leave whenever he wishes to do so.

That he chooses not to so because he fears arrest for jumping bail and likely extradition to face charges in the US is not evidence of ‘de facto detention’.

Contrary to the report’s claims jumping bail is not ‘objectively a minor offence’, it is about as serious a contempt of court as an individual can make.

This UN working group are asking Assange to be allowed to defy the court and walk free.

That is not going to happen, nor should it.

Assange does not have freedom, which is actually de facto detained.

We should start asking questions who benefits of this status quo? What purpose does it offer and to whom?

If the answer is to stop truth tellers, that's problematic. If the answer is to stop agents of Russia abusing the western freedoms, that's a lot better. 

What would happen if Assange would let go freely?

10 hours ago, oilinki said:

Assange does not have freedom, which is actually de facto detained.

We should start asking questions who benefits of this status quo? What purpose does it offer and to whom?

If the answer is to stop truth tellers, that's problematic. If the answer is to stop agents of Russia abusing the western freedoms, that's a lot better. 

What would happen if Assange would let go freely?

Oh ‘the status quo’.

Always sounds better when wearing a tin foil hat.

Right now Assange has more freedom than he’s entitled to, he’s on the run having jumped bail.

All the conspiracy theory nonsense is based on thin air.

When Assange is brought the UK justice he is attempting to evade he’ll face his justice in an open court of law.

If/when he is extradited to the US he’ll face justice there in an open court of law.

Right now he’s making choices of his own free will.

He has not been deprived of his freedom.

Well not yet anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:02 AM, Benmart said:

I have little concern about the cost as I am not a UK citizen or UK tax payer. You?

I am a UK taxpayer since 1959 and will be until I die, so yes, I am concerned at the appalling waste of taxpayers money which must be well over £15 million by now.

If anybody should be the politicians and the judge who authorised it they are the ones who should pay this bill from their personal funds.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why are you confused Chomper?

Do you not understand transparency and openness, moral justice or blind stupidity on the part of the government?

He was originally wanted (supposedly) on a charge from Sweden which was dubious to say the least.

Sweden has dropped the charge so there should be no outstanding warrant for him. Yes he jumped bail but the cost of the current ongoing charge of bail jumping vastly exceeds the cost of "justice" and is bordering on "loss of face" for the original government Tory/LibDem back in 2010.

He is supposedly wanted by the US government for Wikileaks in exposing illegal US government which it seems were true and that the US government desperately wanted not be shown as the liars that they were.

In 2017 the Swedish government dropped ALL charges against him.

He is very concerned that if he leaves the embassy he will be arrested by the UK police to face the bail jumping charge and then extradited to the USA to be charged there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

A. did Assange jump bail?

Yes he did.

B Is there a penalty for jumping bail?

Yes there is.

C. If the US submits an extradition request to the U.K. for Assange, is that extradition request subject to transparent judicial review.

Yes it is.

D. Is it necessary to obey a court order?

Yes it is.

E. Is hiding from the court in someone’s cellar to avoid arrest acceptable as ‘time served’?

No it is not.

F. Is evading detention ‘de facto detention’?

No, it’s ‘evading arrest.

G. Is your emotional attachment to seeing Assange walk free a reason to let Assange walk free?

No, your emotions have no legal standing.

H. Do Wikileaks pages have legal standing in emotional based arguments to release people wanted for jumping bail?

No they do not.

I. Is Assange guilty of crimes.

Let him have his day in court.

J. When will he have his day in court.

When he’s dragged before the bench*.

* All sorts of people that we might regard as ‘low lifes’ have enough ‘balls’ to ‘man-up’ and face the court (consequences of their actions).

In this I have respect for a drug addled house breaker who turns up to face his judgement than I do for the toxic narcissist hiding in the Ecuadorean embassy in London.

K. What’s to understand?

Get back to

me if you have any questions.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why are you confused Chomper?

Do you not understand transparency and openness, moral justice or blind stupidity on the part of the government?

He was originally wanted (supposedly) on a charge from Sweden which was dubious to say the least.

Sweden has dropped the charge so there should be no outstanding warrant for him. Yes he jumped bail but the cost of the current ongoing charge of bail jumping vastly exceeds the cost of "justice" and is bordering on "loss of face" for the original government Tory/LibDem back in 2010.

He is supposedly wanted by the US government for Wikileaks in exposing illegal US government which it seems were true and that the US government desperately wanted not be shown as the liars that they were.

In 2017 the Swedish government dropped ALL charges against him.

He is very concerned that if he leaves the embassy he will be arrested by the UK police to face the bail jumping charge and then extradited to the USA to be charged there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

All good points that would be hard to gainsay.

The reality is that the US Government wants to catch him, put him on trial, and jail him as a warning to others.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

The reality is that the US Government wants to catch him, put him on trial, and jail him as a warning to others.

And if they catch him they’ll try him in an open court of law before a jury.

How are they going to rig that?

Take your time.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

39 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

Same confused emoji from Chomper once again. 

A simple question for Chomper.

Was the USA acting illegally on the files that Assange had released?

Why isn't the USA trying to get Russians who have also hacked into their system extradited.

ALL governments commit illegal acts that mostly are never exposed.

They only get mad if they are exposed and then they try everything to cover it up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Take your time.

I don't think that the USA would like to expose itself to good defence lawyers who would demand an accounting of the illegal acts that they want covered up.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that the USA would like to expose itself to good defence lawyers who would demand an accounting of the illegal acts that they want covered up.

Just my opinion.

We are all entitled to an opinion, regardless of what nonsense it is founded on.

Meanwhile any extradition of Assange will be subject to open and transparent judicial review, to the open and transparent extradition treaty between the U.K. and US and subject to open and transparent challenge before a court of law in the U.K. wrt Assange’s rights under U.K./EU human rights law.

Or, the Russians might leave him frothing at the mouth on a park bench.

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why isn't the USA trying to get Russians who have also hacked into their system extradited.

They only get mad if they are exposed and then they try everything to cover it up.

I have not seen any US indictment of Assange, neither have you.

So an even simpler question to you.

What is the basis of you believing the reasons why the US is seeking to arrest Assange.

AND ...

Why are you dodging the issue of Assange’s part in the Russian interference in the US election.

But you are right, all governments have dirty secrets, including the Russians.

Oddly, Assange has never exposed Russian secrets.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:57 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Sadly for Assange, anyone releasing secret documents revealing the truth - will always be hunted by the govts. concerned and collaboraters who fear truth being revealed....

The uk govt. has made it clear that it has no intention of letting Assange go - even though the Swedish authorities have said that they have are not pursuing the case against him - the original cause of him seeking assylum in another embassy.....

Perhaps the UN decision will force the uk govt. to back down, but I doubt it.....

Too much at stake for those with embarrassing lies that they need to be with-held from the public.....

I counted at least four laughable errors in this post. Can anyone improve on that?

The main stupidity is, of course, is that whether Assange is detained or not Wikileaks can release documents any time it likes.

12 hours ago, JingerBen said:

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Take your time.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

The confusion is probably the result of too much Kool-Aid at the 4th of July picnic.

The effects can be long lasting.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why are you dodging the issue of Assange’s part in the Russian interference in the US election.

But you are right, all governments have dirty secrets, including the Russians.

Oddly, Assange has never exposed Russian secrets.

I think Juli missed his moment. 

The guy in the DT camp that, it appears, was the one running him was Roger Stone.  It looks like Stone will be indicted by February, that tampers down his "clout."

That business of whether or not Stone visited Juli is sideshow.  Lots of sideshow connected with the White House these days, you may have noticed.  But but but . . .

Anyone who helped facilitate the current situation in the US, well, as the Thai girls say, "him no good!"

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

I thought that here might be a good place to look. I find using Google for research is quite useful, don't you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46361376

A US judge has postponed ruling on a legal bid to unseal reported criminal charges against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

A free-press advocacy group wants to see the documents after their existence was apparently let slip by prosecutors in another case.

But prosecutors and the judge noted that US charges are never ordinarily released until after an arrest.

Or here

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46232609

The US Justice Department is preparing charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, reports in the US say.

The reports came as a filing in a separate court case hinted that charges were being prepared. Justice officials said the filing was made in error.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I thought that here might be a good place to look. I find using Google for research is quite useful, don't you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46361376

A US judge has postponed ruling on a legal bid to unseal reported criminal charges against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

A free-press advocacy group wants to see the documents after their existence was apparently let slip by prosecutors in another case.

But prosecutors and the judge noted that US charges are never ordinarily released until after an arrest.

Or here

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46232609

The US Justice Department is preparing charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, reports in the US say.

The reports came as a filing in a separate court case hinted that charges were being prepared. Justice officials said the filing was made in error.

Which kind of suggests this was wrong.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

My guess would be that doing so would tip the hand of Mueller leading up to the indictment of Roger Stone and whoever else in the MAGA cabal.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-tried-to-secure-pardon-for-julian-assange

With this investigation going on for as long as it has, Mueller has been pretty shrewd about showing his cards; it's driving the US press crazy, compared with the WH which leaks like a strainer.  Another guess is he knows Assange is a whole 'nother thing, foreign soil and all that, like those indicted Russians that will never be brought in.  Taking down Stone, the biggest set of brass balls in US politics for 40+ years, will be like bringing in Lex Luther.  I wouldn't be surprised if one day soon we find out Stone is a guest in Putin-land. 

Officially, the FBI cannot act outside of the US, and the CIA cannot act within the country.

Officially.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

My guess would be that doing so would tip the hand of Mueller leading up to the indictment of Roger Stone and whoever else in the MAGA cabal.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-tried-to-secure-pardon-for-julian-assange

With this investigation going on for as long as it has, Mueller has been pretty shrewd about showing his cards; it's driving the US press crazy, compared with the WH which leaks like a strainer.  Another guess is he knows Assange is a whole 'nother thing, foreign soil and all that, like those indicted Russians that will never be brought in.  Taking down Stone, the biggest set of brass balls in US politics for 40+ years, will be like bringing in Lex Luther.  I wouldn't be surprised if one day soon we find out Stone is a guest in Putin-land. 

Officially, the FBI cannot act outside of the US, and the CIA cannot act within the country.

Officially.

You may be right, but there is the little problem of extradition treaties, and that extends to both the Russians as well as to Assange.   They may be free, but are restricted in where they can travel and they may be looking over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.   

Several years back, there was that Russian guy who caused a bit of international tug-of-war when he was held in Thailand and the US wanted him extradited and Russia wanted him returned.   He was extradited.

The current administration would have less influence, I suspect, unless they visit places like North Korea, Turkey, Israel and few others which might want to curry favor with the US.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Credo said:

You may be right, but there is the little problem of extradition treaties, and that extends to both the Russians as well as to Assange.   They may be free, but are restricted in where they can travel and they may be looking over their shoulder for the rest of their lives.   

Yes, what I was getting at is Mueller/FBI aren't going to put much effort into pushing for an international hunt, at least not now.   They're focusing on the swamp.

I don't see Juli as an ingenious hacker, plenty of others out there, so his capture really wouldn't do anything but generate headlines.

As for looking over their shoulder, remember that stuff with trying to snare Snowden on an international commercial airline flight?  If Juli takes it on the lam you know he won't forget that!

Still, I expect to check the news one morning to read that Juli is now, magically, in Russia. 

BTW, on the subject of Mueller's investigation, there was a third case in that heavily-redacted document that is driving the US press crazy to figure out what it is.  Team Mueller had a close call last week when the press had a particular courtroom staked out, anticipating the arrival of a mystery witness connected to the mystery case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

Yes, what I was getting at is Mueller/FBI aren't going to put much effort into pushing for an international hunt, at least not now.   They're focusing on the swamp.

I don't see Juli as an ingenious hacker, plenty of others out there, so his capture really wouldn't do anything but generate headlines.

As for looking over their shoulder, remember that stuff with trying to snare Snowden on an international commercial airline flight?  If Juli takes it on the lam you know he won't forget that!

Still, I expect to check the news one morning to read that Juli is now, magically, in Russia. 

BTW, on the subject of Mueller's investigation, there was a third case in that heavily-redacted document that is driving the US press crazy to figure out what it is.  Team Mueller had a close call last week when the press had a particular courtroom staked out, anticipating the arrival of a mystery witness connected to the mystery case.

My guess for the mystery case is Deutsche Bank.

I would not be at all surprised to check the news one morning and read a report of Assange found frothing at the mouth on a park bench. ‘Protective custody’ in a US Federal prison might be in his best interests. 

• Like 1