Working in the business of my Thai Wife

I "read somewhere", a WP can be issued if you work in the business of your Thai spouse.

But last days googling and spending searching here on thaivisa.com does not confirm this.

Point is she will soon be running an english school and probably a restaurant, in both I'm supposed to work, but obviously without WP that is "illegal". Obviously we don't want to form a company based on shares and employ 4 minimum wage workers. (Yes, I know, if I form a company with her and she is hired by that company, we only need 2 workers ... but we neither have the work for them nor the income to pay them).

At the moment she is a school teacher and owns a farm. Obviously the WP should include "supervising farm work", but that is a side issue.

I know that I can get a WP based on an non-o marriage visa, but can not figure what kind of work I actually can do with that. (E.g. mostly I would do short gigs in Europe and USA)

Edited by Enki

Probably your best option would be the form a 50/49% partnership with your wife with a registered capital of 1 million baht.

You could then get a work permit as a manager for the partnership to oversee all the businesses owned by the partnership.

The number of Thai employees that would be needed would depend upon the provincial department of employment requirements.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you know the requirements, and also know you don't (want to) meet them.

Erm, there is an option to have different requirements. Namely being employed by your wife. And no I don't know how this works, hence my question. I just wanted to avoid people answering the obvious: make a company, employ 4 Thais, because as far as I know that is not necessary when employed by your wife. But thanks for your time ...

However meanwhile I found an old post from 2013 by a dutch, who is exactly doing what I want to do. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

Maybe you together with your wife can go to the local labour department, explain your situation and ask what's possible?

Yeah,

that is basically what we have to do anyway, but I had hoped to be good informed before meeting them.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Enki said:

Erm, there is an option to have different requirements. Namely being employed by your wife. And no I don't know how this works, hence my question. I just wanted to avoid people answering the obvious: make a company, employ 4 Thais, because as far as I know that is not necessary when employed by your wife. But thanks for your time ...

However meanwhile I found an old post from 2013 by a dutch, who is exactly doing what I want to do. 

You will still need the 2-4 (depending on the office) employees, which you clearly stated you don't want.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, stevenl said:

You will still need the 2-4 (depending on the office) employees, which you clearly stated you don't want.

Yes, but I also clearly stated there is a way to avoid this, and like to know how. Obviously you don't know how ????

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Just curious how you plan to run an English school and probably a restaurant without workers other than the two of you. You say you don't need/can't pay 2 additional workers, you and your lady must be very talented and indefatigable. Good luck.

My wife runs the english school. I have nothing to do with it, except that we hoped I can be hired without extra hassle. Wether we add an restaurant is completely open, as I pointed out: *I want to run a  martial arts school*, but I guess I wrote that in another threat. Here I only asked: how is the stuff with working for your own wife working.

A small restaurant is relatively easy to be run by two. Especially if it is attached to the martial arts school and mostly frequented by members of the school after training.

Anyway, I'm surprised about the "know nothing, but be hostile attitude" here.

But: I found it. It is super simple. You need a permanent residency: https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/nationality-law/difference-between-thai-permanent-residence-and-citizenship/

Thanx for the help, though.

4 hours ago, Enki said:

My wife runs the english school. I have nothing to do with it, except that we hoped I can be hired without extra hassle. Wether we add an restaurant is completely open, as I pointed out: *I want to run a  martial arts school*, but I guess I wrote that in another threat. Here I only asked: how is the stuff with working for your own wife working.

A small restaurant is relatively easy to be run by two. Especially if it is attached to the martial arts school and mostly frequented by members of the school after training.

But: I found it. It is super simple. You need a permanent residency: https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/nationality-law/difference-between-thai-permanent-residence-and-citizenship/

Super simple, permanent residency. How do you think to get this as this isn't a walk in the park. Have a look here:    

Edited by FritsSikkink

21 hours ago, Enki said:

Yes, but I also clearly stated there is a way to avoid this, and like to know how. Obviously you don't know how ????

You stated there is a way to avoid this, but you don't know how.

Don't know where you got your information, but there is no way to avoid this.

Just see you want permanent residency to avoid that, good luck.

12 hours ago, Enki said:

How does having PR solve everything for you?

On 12/25/2018 at 1:09 PM, Mavideol said:

by his answers it looks like he knows pretty much everything, if so, why did he posted asking for help

Hoping someone will help him scam the system, and he wonders why there are so many 'no it alls' with 'hostile attitudes' on TVF.  I wish him good luck since he does seem to "know it all" already, he pbly won't have any "Problems"

As for Permanent Residency??  I knew an American bar owner that it took four years for him to finally get his, and all total cost him about 500,000 baht.........he is now looking at Citizenship, which is even harder to get.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Confused 1

Hehe, sounds not to hard, only complicated and lots of paperwork.

Here in my Thai family we joke: they will place 10 Thai dishes in front of you, if you can identify all of them, and survive the spices, they grant you residency.

Well, half the answers are not helpful. Why waste your and my time?

And no, I'm not planning to game the system. I simply need several work permits to legally help my wife. Without the overhead of running a company, if possible (and without the overhead of hiring additional stuff for which we most likely have no use). However it looks meanwhile like I actually will found a company ... 

Regarding a "school", for a martial arts school, there are no requirements. Regarding the english school: my wife is english teacher. It will be her school, not mine. She has a license to run a school.

@FritsSikkink thanks for the link, I'm not sure if she is aware about the "size" requirements in square meters and/or if that law applies to an weekend school.

On 25. Dezember 2018 at 7:45 PM, scorecard said:

How does having PR solve everything for you?

No requirement to have a limited liability company or unnecessary "coworkers" / employees to "do my job(s)". I simply can work for multiple employers without any complications. 

Don't want to hijack your post but doesn't the wife count potentially as one of the 2 employees? And what is the minimum hours you need to hire each employee? It could become pretty easy if you could hire 2 employees that only work 1 hour a week or something (cleaner and accountant).

Edited by tabarin

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Don't want to hijack your post but doesn't the wife count potentially as one of the 2 employees? And what is the minimum hours you need to hire each employee? It could become pretty easy if you could hire 2 employees that only work 1 hour a week or something (cleaner and accountant).

As I understood "minimum wage employee" so far, it means I hire one for minimum wage for a full month, every month ... Yes, the wife would count, if I had a company and hire my wife. The question was, how she could hire me ???? in her company/business (because obviously she does not want to form an "incorporated company").

8 hours ago, Enki said:

The question was, how she could hire me ???? in her company/business (because obviously she does not want to form an "incorporated company").

As I wrote before it does not a have to be a company with shareholders and etc. You and your wife could form a 51/49% partnership registered as having 1 million baht of capital. You could then get a work permit as the general manager to oversee the business under it.