Key stuck in Hafele door lock.

sipi

You might try gently fiddling with it from as far out as the key will move to as far in.  At some  point it should turn.  Also, not sure what palm oil does, but if it's been in the weather, try using WD-40 or the like to loosen things up.  

But, when it starts doing that, it might be time for a new lock as it will most likely keep getting stuck.

Poster "bankruatsteve" is totally correct about WD-40. To me, palm oil is a lubricant. WD-40 will release stuck parts. Do that first and once freed up, lubricate.

PS ... I deal with locks in my work several days a week. I treat WD-40 like an American Express card, "never leave home without it".

Palm oil is in the kitchen. 

wd40 is an hours drive away. 

It was worth a try. 

Thanks. 

edit.  The key popped straight in and the mechanism rotates freely. The bloody key just won't come back out. 

We have these German locks on all our doors so might have to hop in a tuk tuk tomorrow and get some wd40 and give them all a good squirt.

4 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Sound like one of the pins is stuck onto the key, or alternatively the spring on top is faulty. You could try gently pulling the key, while tapping the lock on a hard surface in all different directions.

Probably the same idea, just different terminology; a wafer is stuck in the down position.

Wd-40 "may" relax it. The tapping is a good idea too. And Sipi, just in case you are not aware, the WD-40 needs a little time to do its job, maybe an hour, even an overnight soak.

An old locksmith once told me that the best lubricant for locks is graphite powder. It's dry, whereas oil can attract dust etc., and gum up locks.

Now you have the key out, it might be worth rubbing a soft pencil on the key and sliding it in and out. Or maybe shaving the tip of a pencil, and putting the powder in the lock. You never know, it might help lubricate any stuck parts.

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

An old locksmith once told me that the best lubricant for locks is graphite powder. It's dry, whereas oil can attract dust etc., and gum up locks.

Now you have the key out, it might be worth rubbing a soft pencil on the key and sliding it in and out. Or maybe shaving the tip of a pencil, and putting the powder in the lock. You never know, it might help lubricate any stuck parts.

Excellent advice. Thanks. 

there are only thing that should ever be put into a key barrel;

1. a key

2. a small amount of graphite powder. 

Oils, WD-40 etc might sound good but "gum up" the lock wards / springs etc. use at your own risk. 

there are only thing that should ever be put into a key barrel;
1. a key
2. a small amount of graphite powder. 

Oils, WD-40 etc might sound good but "gum up" the lock wards / springs etc. use at your own risk. 

Graphite is the best for periodic preventative maintenance for locks. (Not the pencil type, ) when a lock sticks it’s too late to do any maintenance. WD40 is Emergency use only while sourcing new locks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Wirejerker said:

Graphite is the best for periodic preventative maintenance for locks. (Not the pencil type, ) when a lock sticks it’s too late to do any maintenance. WD40 is Emergency use only while sourcing new locks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite, the lock may be recoverable, and if not then it's a learning experience.

once you have got the lock working again careful disassemble it and clean all the parts and reassemble the the lock (YouTube is your friend "the LockPickingLawyer") then you will have either a working lock, an opportunity to try again, or scrap metal. 

On 12/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Sonax penetrating oil is what I use.

And it doesn't take long to work.

I just bought a can of Sonax and gave all the hinges and window slide wheels a light dose. 

Good stuff. I had never heard of it before. 

Thanks. 

Archived