Taco Bell set for Thailand debut early next year

webfact

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

At Makro they sell a small box of hard taco shells for a crazy high price, so yes expect Taco Bell to sell at a higher price than the US.

Well Burger King and Mcdonalds prices in Thailand are a little cheaper than America but not much......But their prices are NOT more than America.....

In America a Taco Bell Bean Burrito sells for about 1 dollar to maybe 1.40 witch would be 30 to 45 baht..... Taco Bell is famous for low prices so I doubt they will charge more than their most expensive American price....So look for a bean burrito to cost 40-45-50 baht....  

Edited by fforest1

8 hours ago, fforest1 said:

So whats going to happen to Sunrise Taco if Taco Bell comes to Bangkok...

Yeah, that was the first thought that came to my mind. Taco Bell is a category killer. Nobody could compete if they started putting up more locations. But, they will need to figure out how to get cheap cheese and beans into Thailand to make this work. I think they probably have already done that. 

But, as Nyezhov said, Sunrise is a different concept, more fast casual sit down than fast food, so probably they co-exist fine. Be cool if they went retro in Thailand for the memories.

tacobellfacts-1600.jpg

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

probably nothing. Different Maynoo and style.

• Like 1

Look, I lived in Phoenix, AZ. The ne plus ultra for fast food Mexican there IMHO  is Taco Mich, of which there are several locations, some 24 hours, especially in the West Valley. Fabulous Birria by the way. English is barely spoken. You go there at 3am and you wont see a gringo. But Phoenix is a big place and its like a 25 minute drive in no traffic from the East side where I lived, to the West side, where the Barrio and Hood is. The Taco Mich on 27th and Camelback is great at 4am, but you risk your life, some ratero tried to rob it one night and the owner popped a cap in him right at the entrance. 

So at 3am, you either:
1. Go to one of the other mexican fast food joints and get overpriced stuff (meh)
2. Hit Taco Bell. Cheap, quick, filling and a stoners delight.

Number 2 is for me!
Sounds like an episode of 'Narcos'!!!!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, keemapoot said:

... But, they will need to figure out how to get cheap cheese and beans into Thailand to make this work. ...

Get some farmers to grow pinto beans and black beans and pay them a bit more than they would get for mung or soybeans.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:47 PM, EVENKEEL said:

At Makro they sell a small box of hard taco shells for a crazy high price, so yes expect Taco Bell to sell at a higher price than the US.

The Thai have plenty of corn, i wonder why they can't make nacho chips or taco shells from it/..

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by the Chidlom intersection today and saw the new Taco Bell outlet taking shape in the Mercuryville community mall there, just across the street from Central Chidlom.

It looks like the Taco Bell there is pretty close to being ready to open, and is occupying the prime ground floor corner space at the main entrance to Mercuryville. But I very much doubt, from everything I've read including the Thai company behind this venture, there are going to be any/many 30-35 baht ($1) items on their menu, except perhaps bottled water!!!

Here's the way it's looking as of today:

1790424732_2019-01-0513_54_59.jpg.62a23dc0a21475222c9ac3c0ae8fe6ae.jpg

770159164_2019-01-0513_59_08.jpg.c08783baf355bd7f21bfc15fe9acde4b.jpg

159561507_2019-01-0513_58_11.jpg.759110a5c20a0c923d54052f9e65320a.jpg

86279448_2019-01-0513_58_31.thumb.jpg.99fa52922c100df603680c55c768fe89.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, fforest1 said:

So whats going to happen to Sunrise Taco if Taco Bell comes to Bangkok...

No disrespect for the owner. He jumped at the opportunity to provide Thailand fast food Mexican when Taco Bell wasn't interested. But no one can compete with Taco Bell. I suspect that Sunrise will eventually fall and end.

Since I am a guy that grew up with Taco Bell, I am addicted. From California, McDonalds may be an industry giant, but every young guy always went to Taco Bell before hitting it home after a good night out.  

22 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

No disrespect for the owner. He jumped at the opportunity to provide Thailand fast food Mexican when Taco Bell wasn't interested. But no one can compete with Taco Bell. I suspect that Sunrise will eventually fall and end.

Since I am a guy that grew up with Taco Bell, I am addicted. From California, McDonalds may be an industry giant, but every young guy always went to Taco Bell before hitting it home after a good night out.  

I regularly used to go to Del Taco for their food, but rarely to Taco Bell  - unless I was feeling constipated, in which case Taco Bell always seemed to do the trick!  :sleep:

I read most of the thread. Anyways, does anyone remember when Taco Time opened in Bangkok? They had a lower Sukhumvit location and one in Siam Square. The one in Siam Square was always busy. They both tanked after a couple of years. The franchise owner told me that most ingredients had to be shipped from the U.S. 

I met around that time the President of Pepsi Asia. He was a Canadian that lived in Bkk.  I asked him why Taco Bell wasn't in Thailand. He said the company did a exploration into the Asian market in Japan and it failed miserably.  I don't know if now almost 20 years later if there is even a Taco Bell in Japan. I think that the Taco Bell in Thailand will be fairly cheap. 

It's not great Mexican food but it hits the right spot sometimes if you grew up with it and at certain times. 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I stopped by the Chidlom intersection today and saw the new Taco Bell outlet taking shape in the Mercuryville community mall there, just across the street from Central Chidlom.

It looks like the Taco Bell there is pretty close to being ready to open, and is occupying the prime ground floor corner space at the main entrance to Mercuryville. But I very much doubt, from everything I've read including the Thai company behind this venture, there are going to be any/many 30-35 baht ($1) items on their menu, except perhaps bottled water!!!

Here's the way it's looking as of today:

1790424732_2019-01-0513_54_59.jpg.62a23dc0a21475222c9ac3c0ae8fe6ae.jpg

770159164_2019-01-0513_59_08.jpg.c08783baf355bd7f21bfc15fe9acde4b.jpg

159561507_2019-01-0513_58_11.jpg.759110a5c20a0c923d54052f9e65320a.jpg

86279448_2019-01-0513_58_31.thumb.jpg.99fa52922c100df603680c55c768fe89.jpg

That is much faster than I expected!

I have had Sunrise tacos in Thailand and recently Taco Bell in the USA. Sunrise isn't good but Taco Bell is disgusting. Doritos taco shells? Yuck anything like that is pretty much poisonous. I don't mind fast food but don't enjoy eating Doritos for lunch. 

If Taco Bell is similarly priced I don't see the improvement. Anyway it's good to have the option for those that like it. I am just surprised people think it is drastically better than Sunrise. I think some people are nostalgic and don't remember how truly bad it is.

Edited by Cryingdick

15 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

If Taco Bell is similarly priced I don't see the improvement. Anyway it's good to have the option for those that like it. I am just surprised people think it is drastically better than Sunrise. I think some people are nostalgic and don't remember how truly bad it is.

I certainly don't think the typical Taco Bell fare from the U.S. is BETTER than a well prepared version of Sunrise Tacos here (with food IME that tends to vary some in quality depending on the particular location).  Taco Bell U.S. is certainly cheaper than Sunrise Tacos TH, but better is a different matter.

However, I think what we'll end up getting from the forthcoming Taco Bell TH is probably a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't expect it to taste or be prepared exactly the same as the U.S. version, and I'm almost certain it won't have the same bargain pricing as Taco Bell U.S. can have.