Search for British crew member missing from cruise ship off Puerto Rico

webfact

U.S. Coast Guard searches for cruise ship crew member who went overboard

By Kanishka Singh

2018-12-26T231013Z_1_LYNXNPEEBP12Y_RTROPTP_4_ROYAL-CARIB-CRUS-MISSING-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The Harmony of the Seas ( Oasis 3 ) class ship leaves the STX Les Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard site in Saint-Nazaire, France, May 15, 2016. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe/File Photo

(Reuters) - The U.S. Coast Guard said on Wednesday it was searching for a British crew member who went overboard from a Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean.

Arron Hough, 20, went overboard 267 miles (430 km) off the northwest of Puerto Rico on Tuesday, a spokesman for the Coast Guard 7th District told Reuters in a telephone interview.

At the time the Coast Guard became aware of the incident, the Harmony of the Seas ship was travelling from its home port of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to its first stop of St. Maarten island on its seven-day Caribbean itinerary, the Miami Herald newspaper had reported earlier.

The Coast Guard said it continued its search for Hough with an airplane and cutter ship.

Royal Caribbean Cruises said the missing person was a member of the "entertainment team" onboard Harmony of the Seas and that he did not show up for work on Tuesday.

"We are saddened to report that after a review of the ship's closed-circuit camera footage, he was observed entering an area on Deck 5 at around 4am and was not seen again", Royal Caribbean told Reuters in an emailed statement.

"Local authorities were notified and a ship-wide search for the crew member was conducted."

The UK Foreign Office said it was providing assistance to the family of the missing person, according to a statement cited by Sky News.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by David Gregorio and Matthew Lewis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-27

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

I quess he did not know only Philippino,s work on cruise ships. I would say he got terminated.

I work on a cruise ship and have done for almost 15 years and yes there are a lot of Filipino but there are also a lot of other nationalities which work on board as well and to say that he got terminated or insinuating at he got thrown over board by the Filipino's is not true, i guess you have never work with them. If you have you would know better, The guy may have had some personal issues that we don't know about. R.I.P to the young guy and hope that he is in a better place for himself. 

it's true that a lot of people go overboard.. crew and passengers too. From my time working on cruise ships I noticed a lot of alcoholism and depression amongst crew members. I knew of two chefs and a female passenger who went overboard during my time on them. None were found

On 12/26/2018 at 9:31 PM, grubman said:

I work on a cruise ship and have done for almost 15 years and yes there are a lot of Filipino but there are also a lot of other nationalities which work on board as well and to say that he got terminated or insinuating at he got thrown over board by the Filipino's is not true, i guess you have never work with them. If you have you would know better, The guy may have had some personal issues that we don't know about. R.I.P to the young guy and hope that he is in a better place for himself. 

I also worked on a cruise ship in my early twenties ( I am 61 now) I was working for Holland American , as you said many different nationalities worked there , Navigation was  all Dutch,  Engineering was Greek, Hotell dept was , management Dutch, entertainment mixed,  store clerks, and services American and some Brits ,and  waiters and stewards were Indonesians.  Only Navigation and Engineering was allowed to mingle with the passengers  on board after work.  

I was on with an outside  tech company converting a cargo hold to crew quarters and crew quarters to passenger quarters, working with the team responsible for A/C. and after work we were treated as passengers.

Anyway, let me just say that there was a lot of partying, a lot of drinking  and a lot of drama going on all the time. In thinking of all the crazy things we did back then, I am amazed we survive it, and more of as did not ended up in the drink.  

Archived