Our Person Of The Year 2018: Prawit Wongsuwan, Military’s ‘Real Power’

webfact

Our Person Of The Year 2018: Prawit Wongsuwan, Military’s ‘Real Power’

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

001-37-1068x637.jpg

Top: Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan raises a hand to shield his eyes from sunlight Dec. 4, 2017, in a cabinet photoshoot at the Government House which launched a scandal over the many multi-million baht, ultra-luxury timepieces he often wears.

Deputy junta chairman Prawit Wongsuwan, aka Big Pom, sure gave his critics and the media a lot to talk about throughout 2018.

There was the collection of undeclared luxury watches he never fully explained – animating memes and mockery from Thais of all political affiliations.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/12/27/our-person-of-the-year-2018-prawit-wongsuwan-militarys-real-power/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-12-27

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Prawit is hailed as 'a powerful army man who wields respect across [the military] institution ...'

Well, doesn't that just say it all? For this man to garner respect - any respecteven a thimble-full of respect - speaks volumes about the filthy, corrupt nature of the military. Like likes like.

And as for Khaosod putting this individual forward as their man of the year .... I am amazed. I thought at first the award must be a humorous one and that the newspaper had selected a whole bunch of discreditable and discredited persons for the award - but then I saw that the second candidate for the prize was the Thai Cave Rescue Team. My God! What a bloody insult - to put the brave volunteers who saved young human lives in the same league - or even the same universe - as this unspeakable individual ....!

We appear to have a different view of the cave-rescuers. Perhaps I'm just more cynical.

• Like 2

Sad, in my view, that the PotY award has gone to this half-wit, acknowledged the world over as a money-minded despot who treats the country's laws with contempt. If we were seriously looking to award those who possess, let's say, alternative quality achievements, I'd think that the ringmaster of the cave rescue circus, Narongsak Osotthanakorn (aka Lenny Henry), would be well worth a shout.

Seriously though, who should we really be looking at as worthy of the PotY title? Big-Joke gets it for me, since he at least puts some energy and commitment into his bad-guys-out mission. And what about Thanathorn? He looks like another man on a mission and I, for one, believe in his motives and commitment to making his country respectable again. Perhaps if he gets a shout, there will be people worthy of the PotY award . . . next year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

He made on to the MSN richest Asians list with an unknown amount of cash and bling on army pay???? 

21 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

He made on to the MSN richest Asians list with an unknown amount of cash and bling on army pay???? 

A lesson to us all I'm sure, in the benefits of frugality and corruption.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Sad, in my view, that the PotY award has gone to this half-wit, acknowledged the world over as a money-minded despot who treats the country's laws with contempt. If we were seriously looking to award those who possess, let's say, alternative quality achievements, I'd think that the ringmaster of the cave rescue circus, Narongsak Osotthanakorn (aka Lenny Henry), would be well worth a shout.

Seriously though, who should we really be looking at as worthy of the PotY title? Big-Joke gets it for me, since he at least puts some energy and commitment into his bad-guys-out mission. And what about Thanathorn? He looks like another man on a mission and I, for one, believe in his motives and commitment to making his country respectable again. Perhaps if he gets a shout, there will be people worthy of the PotY award . . . next year.

Perhaps they should create a new award for the poser of the year? That should widen the options a little...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

We are just now all sitting eating at the pancake parlor. ... it was getting too quiet here, what with mouths full of ice cream etc I broke in and showed them the title of this thread... 

The staff now have ice cream and hash browns to clean up from around us 

Classic john belushi  animal house 'zit' scene...

Nice one, tif.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

But, as Minister of Defence, he may one day need those cash reserves - his 'little nest-egg', he probably calls it - in case he's lost the starting handle for those submarines.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Perhaps they should create a new award for the poser of the year? That should widen the options a little...

And the Poser of the Year award for 2018 goes to . . . . . . . . shhhh! Come on HalfLight, don't stop there . . . the entire T-V universe is in suspenders.