Replacing UK driving licence as a non resident due to age, lost, or new photo

I thought I would start a post regarding renewing a driving licence as a British subject but non resident. This topic is not about using a UK licence to drive in the UK.

My licence will expire due to age. I have no need of a UK licence as I have a Thai one but thought perhaps a UK licence would be easier to use in certain countries other than a Thai one. If you are returning to the UK, after you confirm (with proof) your address in UK, you will have your licence reinstated.

Apply online. No UK address, impossible. Use brothers address, this is reply from DVLC............ "You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes or using an address that you do not reside at".

Now the correspondence.

Dear.
You asked me to fill up the form on your website. This form asks for a UK postal code of my current address.Since I do not permanently reside in the UK, I do not have this.
I need to know what to do ?

Yours,

DVLC reply

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 20/12/18
Your case reference number is (delete)

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

As you live overseas we’re unable to issue you with a new GB driving
licence. 

If you need proof of your entitlement to drive, please call us and we’ll
issue you with a certificate of entitlement. 

You should contact the licensing authority in the country you reside
in for advice on driving there. Please make sure they can accept
faxed/posted confirmation of your driving licence details. 

There is no fee for this service.  

Sorry for long post but it seems renewing is impossible if non resident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I have no need of a UK licence as I have a Thai one but thought perhaps a UK licence would be easier to use in certain countries other than a Thai one.

Just use 5 year Thai DL anywhere just check if the country you visit wants a IDP accompanied with it, I binned my UK DL what's the point of it because I don't live there anymore which makes it invalid.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, evadgib said:

Hats off to the OP but unfortunately it doesn't pay to be too honest in some respects and this is a classic example.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments, the law is the law and if you attempt to work round it there's always a chance you'll be caught out, and may suffer consequences.

Yes, you could use the address of a relative, but are you on the Electoral Roll there, are you registered for tax and pension at that address, are you registered with a GP, do you have a Nectar card at that address, etc etc.

If you have an accident using an improperly obtained licence maybe the police wouldn't check any of the above, but you can be sure that if an insurance company had any suspicion that the licence was invalid, they as sure as hell would, you could well find that any insurance would be invalidated and any subsquent claim refused.
OK the chances of being caught, and being hit with massive costs following an accident, are probably remote, but it's probably not a chance I'd be taking.  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

because I don't live there anymore which makes it invalid.

Why invalid ?  I still have my UK licence, my German, Dutch and Portuguese Driving Licences, are they invalid just because I don't live at any of these places ?......  I do have a Thai driver licence since 2004  

8 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

if an insurance company had any suspicion that the licence was invalid, they as sure as hell would, you could well find that any insurance would be invalidated and any subsquent claim refused.

look at the wording on an insurance cert. '' holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held, and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence''

31 minutes ago, ignis said:

Why invalid ?  I still have my UK licence, my German, Dutch and Portuguese Driving Licences, are they invalid just because I don't live at any of these places ?......  I do have a Thai driver licence since 2004  

Maybe I dunno depends on the country and it's requirements on the procession of there countries DL. 

The consensus of most expatriates living in Thailand and web site information is after 90 days of living in the country you should get a Thai driving license.

Some say it's a year as it is in UK driving there on a Thai DL when staying in UK.

I think it's already been explained in many threads on the subject that your UK driving should have the address where you live.

I guess trouble may only happen in accident investigations by police or vehicle insurances of the voluntarily kind if the outcome is serious. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, roo860 said:

How do gypsies go on renewing a licence, moving around the UK?

Can't give Tesco car park as an address.

Presumably the ones whos have licences give an address where they actually are living at the time but then I'm pretty sure that the OP and those responding on this thread are not gypos, so who cares?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

There is no "and", just as there is no valid licence in your case if you don't live at the address you provided.

Garbage,utter garbage.   people move,other areas ,one thing forgotten is changing DL details.  Once 10 /3 years are up they will automatically send you notice at whatever address they currently hold,income tax etc.VAT etc.  No offence committed    Do you know to ride a push bike in UK you do require a working means of warning device ,bell thingamajig on handle bars

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

According to the Road Traffic Act you are by law to surrender your UK licence on becoming non resident. Being resident or not resident makes the difference to your entitlement to hold a UK licence but that is another topic.

What may also be of interest to others was my research regarding attempt to obtain licence.

How did DVLC know I did not reside at said address?

I ended up at a commercial people finders website. Normally they charge 25 pounds per inquiry but they give you a free minimum data tryout.  I imputed my brothers post code and got the following.

Brothers name, Age(hidden) Address(hidden), telephone number if available(hidden), Names of all people living at that address and when they joined the electoral roll. The last entry I found the most interesting. Knowing my uncle is in a care home I entered care home postal code and got a list of all residents. I got all this from the net. Imagine what data the government has on us.

Big Brother is alive and well and not only as a TV show.

And no I have absolutely no desire for a UK licence, I just wanted to prove a point.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ted4647 said:

Garbage,utter garbage.   people move,other areas ,one thing forgotten is changing DL details.  Once 10 /3 years are up they will automatically send you notice at whatever address they currently hold,income tax etc.VAT etc.  No offence committed    Do you know to ride a push bike in UK you do require a working means of warning device ,bell thingamajig on handle bars

You're right, garbage, utter garbage (on your part, of course), not advising the DVLA of a change of address is an offence.

What does income tax, VAT or a bike having to have a bell have to do with this?  Bikes also have to have mudguards and lights but, so what?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

According to the Road Traffic Act you are by law to surrender your UK licence on becoming non resident. Being resident or not resident makes the difference to your entitlement to hold a UK licence but that is another topic.

What may also be of interest to others was my research regarding attempt to obtain licence.

How did DVLC know I did not reside at said address?

I ended up at a commercial people finders website. Normally they charge 25 pounds per inquiry but they give you a free minimum data tryout.  I imputed my brothers post code and got the following.

Brothers name, Age(hidden) Address(hidden), telephone number if available(hidden), Names of all people living at that address and when they joined the electoral roll. The last entry I found the most interesting. Knowing my uncle is in a care home I entered care home postal code and got a list of all residents. I got all this from the net. Imagine what data the government has on us.

Big Brother is alive and well and not only as a TV show.

And no I have absolutely no desire for a UK licence, I just wanted to prove a point.

He ain't that alive and well. Its only the information,you or others have provided (in the UK)    Better to hold onto UKDL  good for identification and who knows what is going to happen with ex pats ,especially in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ted4647 said:

It is an offence not to advise DVLA of your current address.

I was in a very minor accident a few years ago and had to take my licence to the local police station; I had my wrists slapped for not having the current address.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It is an offence not to advise DVLA of your current address.

I was in a very minor accident a few years ago and had to take my licence to the local police station; I had my wrists slapped for not having the current address.

Last time I was in an accident in the UK I spoke the copper attending and said I hadn’t updated my DL or even insurance address. His reply was, “ yeah I need to update mine as well.”

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Last time I was in an accident in the UK I spoke the copper attending and said I hadn’t updated my DL or even insurance address. His reply was, “ yeah I need to update mine as well.”

Sounds like a good old village Bobby......