752 vehicles seized from drunk drivers on first two days of New Year clampdown

rooster59

50 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I am not defending drunk driving - but have the authorities and some people here on TV ever thought of how people get home when visiting friends for New Years and have a drink ?

50 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

So maybe some people who advocate drastic measures like prison time, crushing bikes, huge fines e.g - maybe put yourselves in the shoes of the mostly poor Thais.

Who have no other choice of transport then their motorbike - which they use daily in the hot sun or rain to get to work and wherever they need to go.

So maybe those whose lives will be drastically affected by draconian sanctions should think and think again before drinking and driving.

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I am not defending drunk driving - but have the authorities and some people here on TV ever thought of how people get home when visiting friends for New Years and have a drink ?
Thais usually do not stay in one place for New Years celebrations but visit as many family members / friends as possible throughout the night and in the countryside that means on their motorbike for total lack of other transportation at night.

Workers who have their company parties and have a drink or two can’t get home anymore because they usually go to work in their bike.

Nothing has been done to address the problem of the total lack of public transport - which is virtually non existing throughout the entire country except for Bangkok.

Nobody wants to drive around drunk - but what are people supposed to do ?
The country where I come from has plenty of options to get home at night without having to drive drunk - here you have nothing and on top of it taxi drivers in Bangkok rip you off on New Years Eve refusing to turn on the meter and tell you take it or leave it!
Chiang Mai which has probably the size and population of some European capitals who offer multiple choices in public transport has nothing - no public transport system even worth talking about.

So maybe some people who advocate drastic measures like prison time, crushing bikes, huge fines e.g - maybe put yourselves in the shoes of the mostly poor Thais.

Who have no other choice of transport then their motorbike - which they use daily in the hot sun or rain to get to work and wherever they need to go.

Easy to say for the rich - arrest them, crush them.

The idiot leaders and politicians who are driven around by chauffeurs in their fancy cars but are too stupid to built a proper public transport system for the people to use.
Before you condemn people for drunk driving make sure they have an alternative to get home - because even people who work hard all year to scrap together a living have the right to enjoy the holidays a little bit.

Loosing their pick-up or motorbike could mean loosing their livelihood because they can’t get to work anymore.

This whole farce of reducing drunk driving is nothing but money making again by the corrupt police and it will not stop in the next 40+ years - because that is the time frame they are behind here when it comes to public transport compared to other countries.

I would love to leave my car / bike at home jump on a train or subway to get into the city like I did in my home country 40 years ago - not going to happen here - not in my life time!

But destroying poor peoples lives because they had a drink too much during the holidays can not be the solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It looks a bit like your one of those people who needs to drink to have fun. You can always have 4 people in a car and make sure 1 does not drink or 2 on a bike and one does not drink. Just because there are no options does not means its right to drink and drive.

Now I agree crushing bikes and cars is a bit too big of a punishment. But some jail time and high fines is ok because you don't seem to think about those getting killed by drunk drivers.

I am totally stunned at these numbers. Assuming most where stopped at checkpoints surely the first person to notice the check point would have facebooked their friends who would have passed the message on and so forth until everyone would know there was a checkpoint at xyz road within minutes.

Come on, social media has more uses than sending pictures of your meals.