Death toll rises to 236 in first four “dangerous” days

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Mate, what ever way you slice it very few are good people on the roads.

they all drive the same pissed up or sober.

The murderous , selfish, Drivers / Riders they are.

But no one will tell the truth.

Round my neck of the woods the idiots get worse and the normal folks are more cautious and aware. The hard shoulders are the most dangerous places to be at the moment so getting on to the main highway is quite scary as it's a free for all.

4 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Round my neck of the woods the idiots get worse and the normal folks are more cautious and aware. The hard shoulders are the most dangerous places to be at the moment so getting on to the main highway is quite scary as it's a free for all.

I'm cautious in America as well.  We have our fair share of idiots as well.  We call it "fools night out."  While getting what might have been the last income affidavit yesterday I spent the day downtown in the lovely weather.  The roads were empty except for fools riding Tuk Tuk's near the Embassy.  My son and I took the BTS and the MRT quite safely both to and from downtown.  

Fools night out.

Edited by TonyClifton

The price of taxi's here in Phuket is verging on extortion everybody complains about it, they are stinging tourist more than you know, I thought that Grab was supposed to be cheaper? not around here it isn't.

500 Baht for about a couple of KM's.

Maybe next time we have one these 7 Days of Danger promotions would it not be a good idea for the Government or the Police get all the taxi drivers together and do discounted rides over that period and encourage people to use a taxi rather than drive, even for local people taxi's are to expensive, maybe it could help by getting some of the traffic off the roads, 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The price of taxi's here in Phuket is verging on extortion everybody complains about it, they are stinging tourist more than you know, I thought that Grab was supposed to be cheaper? not around here it isn't.

500 Baht for about a couple of KM's.

Maybe next time we have one these 7 Days of Danger promotions would it not be a good idea for the Government or the Police get all the taxi drivers together and do discounted rides over that period and encourage people to use a taxi rather than drive, even for local people taxi's are to expensive, maybe it could help by getting some of the traffic off the roads, 

Come on. TIT.

And no more Beer Chang for you today :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 2

It's really quite simple & the message will get around very quickly... your choice !!!!

If you drive while under the influence of drink, drugs or medication the resulting action will be

your car will end up here.. 365 days of the year... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

And the remaining 25.71% must have been on city streets - not clear on this!

The impounded vehicles should remain impounded until the suspension period is over or else they will be back on the road without a valid licence.

and re take the so called DRIVING TEST !!

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I know I should be inured to such awful statistics by now, but I still can't help but be stunned by the magnitude of the tragedy that unfolds on the roads here daily. Even at a time of year when people are being urged to be more responsible, the death toll is just shocking. 40%+ of deaths caused by drink driving, so that's 100 people close to murdered in four days, and yet it goes on unabated. If the powers that be aren't weeping over these numbers, they bloody well should be, and so should the country.

Why should the powers that be care when their subjects are simply too stupid to care themselves?. You can only police by consent. Thailand slipping down the PISA educational tables from an already lowly position indicating that isn’t going to get better any time soon.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's really quite simple & the message will get around very quickly... your choice !!!!

If you drive while under the influence of drink, drugs or medication the resulting action will be

your car will end up here.. 365 days of the year... 

A lot of people don't own their vehicles. The lease companies do until they're paid off. I don't think they'd take too kindly to you crushing their assets.

Edited by alien365

10 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

This bodycount during the holidays is completely absurd. You can't call only these days dangerous as it is dangerous everyday during a year. Actually there are less casualties during (dangerous) holidays than normal working days. Thailand should stop throwing guilt on holidays and realize that something should be done in educating people about the danger of driving. Yes, I've seen some adverts on TV. But that's not enough, the real work should be done on the ground by the police force. First, they should make sure the law is followed, because there are so many drivers that do not follow rules and put the lives of others in danger. Only after that I believe there will be some change. Seeing police idle sitting at their tables at checkpoints won't make a big difference in the scenario. It's just hypocritical.

People cannot be educated unless they genuinely want to be, as has been said before in this thread. All drunk drivers should have their vehicles crushed.

That is the only thing that will stop these drunken scum.

• Like 2

I have ZERO COMPASSION for the dead and maimed Thai people on this issue...because that is commensurate to how they feel about the situation. 

If they thought it was a problem, they would demand that it was ameliorated immediately through high fines and significant jail time.

But that is my western thinking coming into the situation. That's what WE would do back home. That is what WE COULD DO back home 

The reality of the situation is that Thais live in a make-believe democracy. In reality, they have no control over their lives. The only control they have is their lawless driving and violent behavior...or is it violent driving and lawless behavior?

• Like 1

Take away the 80% + deaths re motor cyclists, isn't this telling them anything ???  They have money for drink mobiles gambling, but noHAB for a crash helmet.  Crash helmets spoil my good looks, hair do.  Thai logic.

8 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I have ZERO COMPASSION for the dead and maimed Thai people on this issue...because that is commensurate to how they feel about the situation. 

If they thought it was a problem, they would demand that it was ameliorated immediately through high fines and significant jail time.

But that is my western thinking coming into the situation. That's what WE would do back home. That is what WE COULD DO back home 

The reality of the situation is that Thais live in a make-believe democracy. In reality, they have no control over their lives. The only control they have is their lawless driving and violent behavior...or is it violent driving and lawless behavior?

if we didn't have police actively enforcing traffic laws in the west it would be no better

The are two very simple questions to ask that make this whole thing very easy

- why do we have traffic laws ?

- why do we have police ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

driving without a licence is not generally going to kill people, most of the people without a licence have been driving/riding for years, in the west (UK) it gets you on the road

you then have restrictions simply because you generally become a competent driver through experience which you gain over time by driving

But 1 thing they don't know thru any amount of driving experience, is the road rules, My GF who had driven and ridden for many years said after I made her get a bike license I never knew what a solid line painted on the road meant or quite a few other things.
So what scares me is the 43799 that didn't produce a license, what I want to know is how many were checked, what was the percentage, I won't even hazard a guess but would love to know, and what are they going to do about it.
As a side point my BIL went to get a car license in early December as his new wife was sick of him paying 200baht each time he was stopped and his appointment is for 11th of Feb.

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Take away the 80% + deaths re motor cyclists, isn't this telling them anything ???  They have money for drink mobiles gambling, but noHAB for a crash helmet.  Crash helmets spoil my good looks, hair do.  Thai logic.

I think they should all get a new free crash helmet for 2019.

This is my suggestion of design and material to use.

Happy new year to all the smart ones. :jap:

Paper hat.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Crash helmets are always a good idea - but don't overrate them - hit anything solid at over 30kmph and your chances of survival "helmet or not" are limited

Here is something to think about

Put on the most expensive helmet you can buy and jump head first from the 2nd floor of a building - see how that goes

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

But 1 thing they don't know thru any amount of driving experience, is the road rules, My GF who had driven and ridden for many years said after I made her get a bike license I never knew what a solid line painted on the road meant or quite a few other things.
So what scares me is the 43799 that didn't produce a license, what I want to know is how many were checked, what was the percentage, I won't even hazard a guess but would love to know, and what are they going to do about it.
As a side point my BIL went to get a car license in early December as his new wife was sick of him paying 200baht each time he was stopped and his appointment is for 11th of Feb.

Sorry mate.

But some times Thai people tell lies to save face :sorry:

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I don't mean to be pedantic but drunk riding is the main cause of accidents here. It's riders, not drivers that cause most of the accidents/deaths. 

I do agree with the 7 dangerous days campaign though. If they did nothing at all I'd expect the fatalities to double, if not more.

No its not the riders all the time, an (I dont know the amount but I would like to) of the time its a larger vehicle wiping the bike out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

Crash helmets are always a good idea - but don't overrate them - hit anything solid at over 30kmph and your chances of survival "helmet or not" are limited

Here is something to think about

Put on the most expensive helmet you can buy and jump head first from the 2nd floor of a building - see how that goes

Amazing, your last comment,  you died of a broken neck, hit something at 30 kmph in a padded suit or a suit of armour good chance you die. there is nothing else on the market, so people have no other choice apart from walking.

Edited by ginjag

54 minutes ago, alien365 said:

A lot of people don't own their vehicles. The lease companies do until they're paid off. I don't think they'd take too kindly to you crushing their assets.

So let the leasing companies repossess their cars & action them off to repay the balance!!!

Or we can sit around and do nothing in the vain hope that all the idiots will all become extinct at some point in time.. or as history shows the breeding cycle seems to match the death rate and at the same time doesn't seem to improve the gene pool!!!!

50 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Amazing, your last comment,  you died of a broken neck, hit something at 30 kmph in a padded suit or a suit of armour good chance you die. there is nothing else on the market, so people have no other choice apart from walking.

I was making a point the simplest way I could - I think you got it

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

So, pretty much business as usual, despite the promises to - if I recall the farcical announcement correctly - demonstrate a zero-tolerance to drunk-driving, this time. Zero-tolerance, indeed . . . zero effort on the part of a sleeping 200,000-strong police force would be more like it.

Agreed...sadly. enforcement will not stop drunk drivers unless there are check points. And 'when" people are busted AND lose their vehicles, then possibly some will learn a lesson. A slap on the wrist is NOT a lesson. Add to that those who care less about proper driving and adherence to rules. Rules you say? Exactly. It's like every man for himself with absolutely no thought of any consequences. Learn how to drive....police enforce violations...and above all stop your selfish behavior "because" you contribute to the death toll. "Me you say?" Yes you....either get the f..k off the road until you learn how to drive OR you will be forced to retire your vehicle, moped,  and any other motorized vehicle where you  obviously can't even think ahead.  Third World countries  have certain attributes and Thailand (no matter what for) will remain such until some person with half-a- brain steps in to say enough is enough.

Good luck with that one:)

8 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Agreed...sadly. enforcement will not stop drunk drivers unless there are check points. And 'when" people are busted AND lose their vehicles, then possibly some will learn a lesson. A slap on the wrist is NOT a lesson. Add to that those who care less about proper driving and adherence to rules. Rules you say? Exactly. It's like every man for himself with absolutely no thought of any consequences. Learn how to drive....police enforce violations...and above all stop your selfish behavior "because" you contribute to the death toll. "Me you say?" Yes you....either get the f..k off the road until you learn how to drive OR you will be forced to retire your vehicle, moped,  and any other motorized vehicle where you  obviously can't even think ahead.  Third World countries  have certain attributes and Thailand (no matter what for) will remain such until some person with half-a- brain steps in to say enough is enough.

Good luck with that one:)

Sorry TMNH, but I think your post was intended for someone else. Read mine again. Apart from that, I share your despair re lack of driving law/rules enforcement, especially when all it would take to fix the problem would be . . . would be . . . mmm . . . would be a completely new, improved and able-bodied police-force, staffed by officers who are proud and committed to be driving their gleaming Highway Police patrol cars in a day's work schedule that requires at least 8 hrs patrolling and actually looking out for the half-brains that you mention. Dream on, I guess.