POTY revamp - suggestions

Andrew Dwyer

18 hours ago, transam said:

I had NOTHING to do with the pink tights thing.....Please get facts right before posting......If I was drunk and did....Show me and I will own up...????

This is one of the problems with the "new" TV format.  It's difficult to research exactly when the words "Trans" and "pink tights" were first used in a post.

22 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This is one of the problems with the "new" TV format.  It's difficult to research exactly when the words "Trans" and "pink tights" were first used in a post.

I get used to folk saying stuff about me that has been rolox.....BUT, in the past POTY stuff it kept folk glued......????

I would have thought that the technical difficulties this year might be seen as a major problem.

Perhaps It was my mistake but I only saw three boxes and voted accordingly.I did not know that I had been nominated as (on my site) there is nothing directly linking me to the forum accept thru my profile and it took me a while to work that out.

All the best to everyone in the coming year.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NancyL said:

What about the Rose of the North?

Could this possibly be a not too subtle attempt at self promotion if previous POTY's are allowed to stand again?

If so you can be sure of my vote.  Lets get POTY early this year!

Edited by scottiejohn

53 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Good point.  Having a "split" semi-final didn't help the situation this year, either.  Personally, I think it was a voter suppression move by the powers-that-be since the northern candidates were in the second (ignored) portion and thus the northern members of the forum took little interest.

You see this same attitude, too, in some of the members who seem to think that Thailand consists of Bangkok, Patts and the rest is just some dusty, hot backwater Nakorn Nowhere in the northeast where the expats have nothing to do but post on Thai Visa 18 hours/day.  

What about the Rose of the North?

Aw come on!  The Rose of the North is a solid third and is in the company of Chicago in the states  and Rome in Europe!  As most countries and/ or regions fourth and onwards are def Naka nowhere. 

Edited by alex8912

4 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

How about most likes, with least characters typed?

Way too many sermons on here...

It will simply promote even more  the handful of people who get up at 4:09 am to be the first one to add an easy one liner onto a new thread. Believe me TVF has enough of them already. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, Jingthing said:

BTW, I was serious about using artificial intelligence for this. 

Think about it. 

It could be designed to take many factors into account --

minimum number of posts

breadth of forums posted in (a great poster posting in only one forum not appropriate for the overall site POTY)

repetition of posts (posting the same crap all the time obviously negative)

language skills in the posts

creativity of writing in the posts

gauging feedback to the posts by direct quotes (different than likes), positive and negative

entertainment value of posts

helpfulness of the posts (advice to others)

Insipidness of tone and content (negative)

Constructive controversy level -- a healthy balance between totally bland/sucking up to all in a spineless fashion and flaming

Would it be perfect? Of course not, but arguably much more fair than the current random mess of a system.

Cheers.

Develop a series of matrix and let a computer calculate a winner? Nobody need bother voting or canvassing.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Would ThaiVisas budget stretch to getting Simon Cowell, David Hasselhoff and Amanda Holden to judge the final, and maybe Ant and Dec can do the commentary.

Or on the other hand, just leave it as it is.????

Wouldn't cost much for all of them... Some of them would even pay for the chance!

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

It will simply promote even more  the handful of people who get up at 4:09 am to be the first one to add an easy one liner onto a new thread. Believe me TVF has enough of them already. 

That's rolox, I am first and it's 5:09.....????

20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing wrong with the format. More sober consideration please. Introspection shall guide you. Hint: Why were people not interested?

How do we know people were not interested, have we got the figures of who partakes daily/weekly etc. Do we know what percentage of partaking members actually took part. Is there a chance of losing even more members if the POTY was made into a serious event, many enjoy it for what it is, a bit of fun.

BTW I am not having a go at you, I know you are a very knowlegeable poster and have given me usefull info in the past.

Sooo , what have we learned from this thread ( and the POTY itself) about trying to improve POTY ?

The jury were divided in their opinion !!
Some would say it’s dead in the water and time to let it go, others have said it is just a bit of fun for those who contribute and those ( who struggle to think for themselves ) went along with the “ nowhere near as good as the good old days “ without offering any reasoning or solution !!

Maybe to sum up POTY I should leave it to my old assembly supervisor, who would use his catchphrase for any question/situation , some examples:

Me: “ Brian, the vending machine is out of tea “
Brian: “ At the end of the day it is what it is “

Me: “ Brian, the customer is here asking about his order “

Me: “ Brian, Ronnie has just lost his leg on the planer !! “

So , maybe I do “ think too mutt “ and should just let it go but surely I don’t think as much as the posters who suggested an Anti Chiang Mai conspiracy !!, or someone who suggested that POTY is now a clique and that we are all nominating ourselves and others are outsiders unable to be nominated and should nominate themselves ??

But then one poster ( surprisingly as he is a respected chap and actually did well in POTY ) went on a rant and slammed all the contributors calling themselves ( myself included ) sock and sandals wearing 65 year old ( I’m only 57 [emoji33]) white Brits dragging the death out of jokes about tiaras and pink tights !!
Heaven forbid !!
Well, my answer to that would be , well maybe you are right, about the tiaras and tights but only, but what do you expect ? , the demographic of POTY contributors nowadays seems to be mainly Brits brought up on a diet of Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies !! ( myself included). So it’s only natural that the humour should take on some common theme , I feel sorry for Geronimo trying to commentate on this stuff !!
But then isn’t TVF just 50% one liners ? , people getting in to a thread early with a “ funny “ to get as many likes as possible ?
NOTE: not knocking TVF here as I find it helpful, educational and a great read as well as amusing , but don’t we all get a little tired of the posts resorting to the “ old chestnut “ :
Brake failure
Brown envelopes
etc etc
Not forgetting the worst of the worst “ caveat emptor “ usually typed by someone who has no idea what it means but saw it got a lot of likes in another post !!

So, I guess what I’m saying here, despite my attempt at drumming up suggestions on how to improve POTY , and there were a couple of posters who took the time to type their ideas to whom I am grateful, it would appear that POTY has morphed into its current state and will remain that way for as long as we, the contributors, continue to contribute, albeit in its slightly less than “ the good old days “ format .
As one astute poster wrote “ if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it “ ( the jury’s still out on whether it’s actually broke or not ).

So, to sum up, I think the best suggestion for the future of POTY should be ?

I’ll leave it to my former assembly supervisor Brian to answer that .........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sooo , what have we learned from this thread ( and the POTY itself) about trying to improve POTY ?

Some would say it’s dead in the water and time to let it go, others have said it is just a bit of fun for those who contribute and those ( who struggle to think for themselves ) went along with the “ nowhere near as good as the good old days “ without offering any reasoning or solution !!

Maybe to sum up POTY I should leave it to my old assembly supervisor, who would use his catchphrase for any question/situation , some examples:

So , maybe I do “ think too mutt “ and should just let it go but surely I don’t think as much as the posters who suggested an Anti Chiang Mai conspiracy !!, or someone who suggested that POTY is now a clique and that we are all nominating ourselves and others are outsiders unable to be nominated and should nominate themselves ??

But then one poster ( surprisingly as he is a respected chap and actually did well in POTY ) went on a rant and slammed all the contributors calling themselves ( myself included ) sock and sandals wearing 65 year old ( I’m only 57 emoji33.png) white Brits dragging the death out of jokes about tiaras and pink tights !!
Heaven forbid !!
Well, my answer to that would be , well maybe you are right, about the tiaras and tights but only, but what do you expect ? , the demographic of POTY contributors nowadays seems to be mainly Brits brought up on a diet of Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies !! ( myself included). So it’s only natural that the humour should take on some common theme , I feel sorry for Geronimo trying to commentate on this stuff !!
But then isn’t TVF just 50% one liners ? , people getting in to a thread early with a “ funny “ to get as many likes as possible ?
NOTE: not knocking TVF here as I find it helpful, educational and a great read as well as amusing , but don’t we all get a little tired of the posts resorting to the “ old chestnut “ :
Brake failure
Brown envelopes
etc etc
Not forgetting the worst of the worst “ caveat emptor “ usually typed by someone who has no idea what it means but saw it got a lot of likes in another post !!

So, I guess what I’m saying here, despite my attempt at drumming up suggestions on how to improve POTY , and there were a couple of posters who took the time to type their ideas to whom I am grateful, it would appear that POTY has morphed into its current state and will remain that way for as long as we, the contributors, continue to contribute, albeit in its slightly less than “ the good old days “ format .
As one astute poster wrote “ if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it “ ( the jury’s still out on whether it’s actually broke or not ).

Good post..

But I still must observe that the technical difficulties remain paramount.

To track TVF at the moment I still must access my profile to figure out to get to threads that are not on the board.

By personal observation I saw a significant downturn in poster activity during the'great solar flare'-for want of a better term.

• Like 1

Good post..

But I still must observe that the technical difficulties remain paramount.

To track TVF at the moment I still must access my profile to figure out to get to threads that are not on the board.

By personal observation I saw a significant downturn in poster activity during the'great solar flare'-for want of a better term.

Yes, I forgot to mention the 30 minutes “ twilight zones “ , I am sure a lot of posters took a self inflicted extended holiday during those 2 months .

Whether they have returned or not would be interesting !

I suspect the connecting issues did a lot of harm and many have logged off permanently or found another source of LOS interest.

My surfing has returned back to normal, I have seen others having issues still, although mine is done mainly by the Connect app so that could be the difference.
  • Like 1

Is there actually a criteria to it? Seems people can write any sort of rubbish and they will be nominated. As long as they are always online, and always first to comment the exact same standard boring responses to the same old stories on TV. So incredibly juvenile/unhelpful comments on topics of corruption, road safety, renting, noise, Muslims, I had a shower with my wife (like they have never seen a naked woman before), I drink beer, bla bla ladyboy etc. 

The fact that not many people are interested in the competition and it is hard work for moderators says it all. Kill it. Flogging a dead horse. Or keep it running in the background for those who do see the forum as their family/friendship base. But don't try and make it something that it isn't. It is POTY of an expat forum where the vast majority of members couldn't give two stuffs, not a Nobel Prize.

I think people who have found members of some use have probably formed contact outside the forum. Even if those people were ever nominated they would never win as are not trying to keep themselves awake all night refreshing stories in the hope they make the first page. This forum gives a sense of the same desperation for likes you see with school girls and IG. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Is there actually a criteria to it? Seems people can write any sort of rubbish and they will be nominated. As long as they are always online, and always first to comment the exact same standard boring responses to the same old stories on TV. So incredibly juvenile/unhelpful comments on topics of corruption, road safety, renting, noise, Muslims, I had a shower with my wife (like they have never seen a naked woman before), I drink beer, bla bla ladyboy etc. 

The fact that not many people are interested in the competition and it is hard work for moderators says it all. Kill it. Flogging a dead horse. Or keep it running in the background for those who do see the forum as their family/friendship base. But don't try and make it something that it isn't. It is POTY of an expat forum where the vast majority of members couldn't give two stuffs, not a Nobel Prize.

I think people who have found members of some use have probably formed contact outside the forum. Even if those people were ever nominated they would never win as are not trying to keep themselves awake all night refreshing stories in the hope they make the first page. This forum gives a sense of the same desperation for likes you see with school girls and IG. 

Oh dear oh dear......????

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

But then one poster ( surprisingly as he is a respected chap and actually did well in POTY ) went on a rant and slammed all the contributors calling themselves ( myself included ) sock and sandals wearing 65 year old ( I’m only 57 emoji33.png) white Brits dragging the death out of jokes about tiaras and pink tights !!
Heaven forbid !!
Brake failure
Brown envelopes
etc etc

Happy to see someone understands my position!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

He obviously knows nothing about the dots .....