Bangkok Bank Debit card 400bht charge

I have had a bangkok bank account for a good few years and all my money goes through them from overseas.

I had a visa debit card which i lost, i was given a useless white card to use in the ATM that i cant use anywhere else.

Whilst in town the other day, i thought i would go and ask if i could exchange my white card for a Mastercard debit one. Yes they said, but 400 bht charge and 100 Bht charge to replace paybook which is in tatters.

So what are my options?

I am tempted to close my account if they refuse to waive the charge and make them count out the cash in 50BHt notes

or just open a new account with a more pleasant bank who doesn't levy as many charges.

Your experiences and advice i would be grateful for

Shaemus

Just did all that

Still had Visa Debit card which was still good - Decided to cancel card due to the fact I noticed Apple Itune payments coming out every month (2) - Which I would never have done

Women tried to give Union Pay (with 4 digit pin ), but asked for Master Card in which she gave (6 dig pin ) - She also wanted 100 bht (this was not required after she spelt out that it was an error, as it was for free )

She also gave me a new book No Charge

13 minutes ago, shaemus said:

Whilst in town the other day, i thought i would go and ask if i could exchange my white card for a Mastercard debit one. Yes they said, but 400 bht charge and 100 Bht charge to replace paybook which is in tatters.

If you gave them the Union Pay card back it should of only been 100 baht. I paid 400 baht because I chose to keep my Visa card and the Union Pay card when I got my Master card.

There should be no charge for a new bank book.

I get a new book a couple of times a year or more because it gets full due to it being updated every month when I go in to transfer my incoming funds from a special direct deposit account that can only be done in person. The teller says new book gives me a form and the new book to sign without any charge.

These are the fees according to the BBL website:

• Entrance fee: 100 baht/card
  • Annual fee: 300 baht
  • Card replacement fee: 100 baht/card/time
  • Monthly statement fee: 200 baht/year (You can request this service at your home branch.)

100 entrance fee + 300 annual fee = 400

There are much better deals out there. BBL is quite expensive (well, relatively expensive, TiT after all) when it comes to fees.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you gave them the Union Pay card back it should of only been 100 baht. I paid 400 baht because I chose to keep my Visa card and the Union Pay card when I got my Master card.

There should be no charge for a new bank book.

I get a new book a couple of times a year or more because it gets full due to it being updated every month when I go in to transfer my incoming funds from a special direct deposit account that can only be done in person. The teller says new book gives me a form and the new book to sign without any charge.

i will go in with the Mrs and see what they have to say for themselves

The whole family banks there, so we'll see how much they value that custom. Pretty sure they don't give a stuff about me.

OP,

While Thai bank debit cards come in wide range of annual fees depending on the benefits associated with each card, the typical/standard-issue Thai debit card typically costs Bt200 to Bt300 for the annual fee plus a Bt100 issue fee if you lost it and the first time issue. Yea, there are some free annual fee Thai debit cards at some banks but they usually come at the expense of  lower interest rate, SMS monthly fee, etc....basically an indirect fee.  And charging a fee for replacing your passbook before full because it's in tatters (i.e., unusual wear & tear) is also pretty standard.   Closing your Bangkok Bank account over standard fees will just be a self-inflicted wound which you may end-up experiencing again at your new bank if you want to switch banks over similar issues/fees. 

Edited by Pib

7 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Not sure if it's been hashed out, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a Thai bank that still issues Visa Debit cards?

Many...like Krungsri and KrungThai just to mention two....I know for sure since the wife and I have accounts at these two banks.   Just check out whatever Thai bank website you are interested in....you probably fine most offer Visa and Mastercard.

8 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Not sure if it's been hashed out, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a Thai bank that still issues Visa Debit cards?

A year back my very old K bank ATM card broke. I went into my home branch and they started to issue a K Bank Visa Debit card. 

I indicated that I did NOT want a debit card and for some minutes they just ignored me. 

I eventually put my hands over the girls keyboard and sai 'fung' (listen) and kept my hands over the keyboard. She called her supervisor who explained, poorly, that the card the girl was processing was a debit card but wasn't a debit card. I kept one hand on her keyboard while i called the K bank HO. 

Bottom line, new debit card which is and isn't a debit card was cancelled. And they insisted it's now impossible to have a stand alone ATM card.

Never mind nowadays I use internet banking for most of my transactions, easy fast and free. 

• Thanks 1

Yea, I don't know of any ATM Only cards for Thai banks (i.e., for use to withdraw funds at an ATM only).  They just issue Debit cards now, which can be use to withdraw cash at an ATM or make purchases physically with a merchant or online.  However with Thai debit cards you can set the purchase limit to zero if desired which means you then have an ATM only card.   And if you don't want a debit card you don't have to accept one.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Many...like Krungsri and KrungThai just to mention two....I know for sure since the wife and I have accounts at these two banks.   Just check out whatever Thai bank website you are interested in....you probably fine most offer Visa and Mastercard.

I used to have a Bangkok bank Visa Debit/Atm card, as did my wife.  Mine was eaten a Thai ATM machine, can't remember what happened to hers.  I was re-issued a Union Pay version.  Thanks, I'll look around.  It was convenient, fast (instant) and cheap to do VisaDirect transfers from abroad to Thai accounts.

I recently exchanged my K Bank Visa debit card for a new one with a chip and the charge was about thb500...the normal yearly fee for the card is about the same and auto deducted from yer account...the new debit VISA card with the chip uses a 6 digit password, the old one was 4 digits...

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, I don't know of any ATM Only cards for Thai banks (i.e., for use to withdraw funds at an ATM only).  They just issue Debit cards now, which can be use to withdraw cash at an ATM or make purchases physically with a merchant or online.  However with Thai debit cards you can set the purchase limit to zero if desired which means you then have an ATM only card.   And if you don't want a debit card you don't have to accept one.

Thank you Pib. 

To be honest I did understand all of that when I had my small confrontation with the K bank staff, I didn't want an operating debit card because I believe it's opening up too many ways to easily chew up funds (just my opinion of course). But an even stronger point, the way the bank staff ignored my questions and then sai 'yes it's a debit card / no it's not a debit card' and then again ignored my comments annoyed me. 

I might also add the staff at the branch concerned (a big branch) clearly see customers 'as sheep / as a nuisance' which gets me annoyed.

Example, they have 4 teller points and 4 service desks. Fairly often the 4 tellers can't cope with the numbers of customers waiting so one of the service desk guys also does transactions at his service desk.

Recently the service desk guy started yelling something across the whole full bank. The customers looked at each other, nobody understood what he was yelling.

Quickly the service guy stood up walked over to the waiting chairs area and was checking queue numbers, he found the queue number he wanted then said loudly to the old Thai lady; 'tam mai khun mai fung' (why you not listen). Not appropriate at all in my book old lady or any customer.

Yes I need some jai yen yen. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I have two regular Bangkok Bank savings accounts but I have a debit card for only one of those accounts.  No problem in opening an account without debit card. 

I have this setup so I can keep the bulk of day-to-day living funds in the account without debit card and then just transfer money over to the account with debit card as needed to keep it topped up for ATM withdrawal purposes....but topped up with a relatively low amount.   I did it this way to help ensure if I ever lose the debit card then there is never a whole lot of money in the account with debit card for the the bad guy to drain.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

If you have a work permit you can get a TMB "all free" account with an "all free" visa debit card, this account seems to be indeed completely free

At Krungsri you can get a savings account and an "all atms" visa debit card, which at least allows you to withdraw free at atms in Thailand and costs only 480THB for 3 years

There are probably more banks where you can get a visa debit card, but the offer of these two is imho quite good

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

I have a Krungsri no annual fee Visa debit card however its not really free as you are required to take their SMS package at 19 baht per month which equates to a 228 baht per year indirect fee. That's an example of how strings can come attached to some no annual fee cards.

Another string that can come attached with some no annual fee cards is a lower interest rate on the associated savings account.

Yeah a no annual fee debit card may not really be free.

I paid 300B at SCB to get a new Mastercard Debit Card: 100B to start, 200B annual fee in advance.

I have cancelled my debit card at Bangkok Bank. I have linked my Bangkok Bank secured Visa credit card to my savings account and use it to debit cash from the savings account. The Visa credit card annual fee is waived with 5000B min purchase per year, just my car insurance alone has met the requirement.

TMB All Free is not really free. First year fee is 500 baht, and following years is 350 baht.

TMB does have a very cheap debit card though, the LITE. Fee is 200 baht for 5 years, and is free to use at any TMB ATM in the country. However you pay a fee to use it at other banks ATMs.