Procedure for wife to follow my O-A long term visa

Dear all,

Grateful for any advice on this.

I have a long term stay O-A visa (London), my wife(UK citizen) plans to join me in CM......advice as to shoukd she get a non O in home country or a 60 day tourist visa......which hopefully will enable her to get a follow (dependent?) to my O-A visa.

Thanks

You will need to apply for a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in London or one of the consulates. She will need a copy of passport photo page, visa and entry stamp and your marriage certificate.

If she did not get a non-o visa she would have to apply for one at a nearby embassy or consulate. It cannot be applied for at immigration.

If you got married in the UK she should get your marriage certificate legalized before traveling to here. That will be required for her to apply for an extension at immigration based upon the entry from your OA visa.

See: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

I went through a similar process back in 2014. I got my “O-A” visa and my (English) wife a single entry non-O visa at the Thai embassy in London. 

We then went to Hua Hin Immigration to apply for an extension for my wife based upon the entry from my “O-A” visa. 

This is where the fun started!

We were married in Sydney, Australia, and despite having our original marriage certificate, being in English, with embossing and bar code it was not accepted. 

Immigration insisted we go to Bangkok and get the marriage certificate certified by the Australian Embassy, translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

There was a translation service next to the Australian Embassy (Embassy now moved) which did the translation, took all documents to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and returned them all by 5:00 p.m. the next day. Fee: 1,200 Thai Baht including Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs express processing fee. 

Hua Hin Immigration then accepted this and my wife received her Extension matching the date of my existing permission to stay date. 

Despite Hua Hin Immigration advising they would never need to see these documents again they insist on seeing the originals each year when we apply for our extensions. 

I believe the dependant visa i.e. piggy backing off a spouse’s “O-A” visa, was introduced in August 2014. I don’t think Hua Hin Immigration had processed one of these Extensions before so not sure if this impacted on the certification and translation etc. The processing Immigration Officer was OK with our original Marriage Certificate but was overruled by a Senior Immigration Officer. 

Fingers crossed you will not have to do similar but at least you are aware of this should the Immigration Office insist you get your Hong Kong Marriage Certificate Certified by the Hong Kong Embassy, translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.