Is it safe to travel to Thailand pregnant

Phil010

Hi All 

We are travelling to the naka island but my wife is 10 weeks pregnant and we have been told by our doctor it is not safe to travel due to the Zika Virus being active there. I am wanting to know is it really that bad or is our doctor over reacting.

please help as we do not want to cancel our trip but if there is going to be any harm to our unborn child we will cancel 

From this page http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/topics/zika/en/

The virus has also been responsible for sporadic infections in several different areas of Thailand. To date, no cases have been reported that are associated with the serious complications that are being seen in other parts of the world.

Somewhere like Naka Island https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pyxlc-the-naka-island-a-luxury-collection-resort-and-spa-phuket/ (assuming that's where you are going) will practice good mozzie control, with additional precautions like repellant and nets I think you would be ok, but I'm not a health professional.

I'm going to move this to the Health forum where those with the knowledge hang out.

• Like 1

The risk of Zika transmission in Thailand is relatively low but is not zero. There were 700 cases a year nationwide (identified, so actual will have been higher) in 2016 plus two and cases of babies borne with microencephaly as a result.  Fewer cases since, maybe a couple hundred a year (of the virus, not micoencephaly) but again number of known cases will be much less than number of actual cases.

CDC recommends against travel here by pregnant women for this reason.

If you come take precautions against mosquito bites as the disease is spread by a daytime biting mosquito. (These precautions will also help protect against dengue and other diseases).

• Like 1

What are you -------? The risk of catching ZIKA may be low but it is still a risk for your child. For a vacation? If you are one of those who doesn't believe in vaccinations either by all means roll the dice and go. But be ready to accept the consequences including explaining to your child, family, and friends that you were happy to roll that dice. 

51 minutes ago, Ulic said:

What are you -------? The risk of catching ZIKA may be low but it is still a risk for your child. For a vacation? If you are one of those who doesn't believe in vaccinations either by all means roll the dice and go. But be ready to accept the consequences including explaining to your child, family, and friends that you were happy to roll that dice. 

There is currently no vaccine available for the Zika virus and the risk of contraction is less than that of becoming a road fatality statistic in the Land of Smiles. Following your logic, one would be “rolling the dice” by travelling to Thailand and getting into a car....explain that to your child, family & friends

• Like 1

Now, now, please be civil.

OP made it clear they would not travel if it put their baby at risk. They just wanted to verify if it was true that there is Zika transmisson in Thailand.  Reasonable enough question to ask.

And it's been answered.

Topic closed.