Am i understanding right, multi non o

I wonder if someone can help me with something that is confusing me. I am not sure if I qualify for a non o based on child, and whether I can extend this for each 12 month period, coming in and out of Thailand as I please.

I have a three-year-old daughter here in Thailand and I am on the birth certificate and all of that sort of stuff. On the visa front, to date I have been visiting Thailand probably in the region of 4 to 5 months a year minimum, Spread over the 12 months, sometimes longer, but I still am working in my career which takes me all over the world, Living here full-time is not yet an option for me even if I wanted to do it.

However that month visa stuff is becoming a bit of a pain in the neck at the moment and I have noticed on previous posts regarding the legality of having a child in Thailand with a Thai national, that does not automatically make me a legal guardian.  Which in turn means as I had previously understood it, but I cannot qualify for a multi entry Visa. I am a British citizen. 

My question is,  I have read on recent posts that it may be possible that I do indeed qualify to be able to get a multi entry non-or Visa, and somewhere like Penang in Malaysia, just using the birth certificate, the tabian ban and the parents' id. I’m wondering if anyone can confirm that that is the case and that I don’t need to be the actual legal guardian. If earnings are an issue, I’m happily able to put 400,000 baht of cash into a Thai bank account/ show earnings, if that is what it takes to get me a multi entry non o based Visa based on a child, for each 12 month period.

I’ve no intention of getting married, not because I’m not with the mother, it’s just a personal preference of mine and hers. We are happy the way things are. 

So as I am not the legal guardian, as we have never been married and I have not been through the whole legal procedure of guardianship. 

Thanks a lot for any help that you can give me 

44 minutes ago, sureno said:

My question is,  I have read on recent posts that it may be possible that I do indeed qualify to be able to get a multi entry non-or Visa, and somewhere like Penang in Malaysia, just using the birth certificate, the tabian ban and the parents' id. I’m wondering if anyone can confirm that that is the case and that I don’t need to be the actual legal guardian. If earnings are an issue, I’m happily able to put 400,000 baht of cash into a Thai bank account/ show earnings, if that is what it takes to get me a multi entry non o based Visa based on a child, for each 12 month period.

That is correct.

For one year extension of stay at immigration or the multiple entry non-o at some embassies and consulates you need to have parenthood legitimized. See the following topic about it.

3 hours ago, sureno said:

As long as you can put 400K in a Thai bank you should be able to get a 1 year ME Non ‘O’ visa with having your parenthood legalised.

You should get your parenthood legalised at some point regardless of any visa benefit. 

If you have registered your child at your country of residence the thai consulate in that country will usually be able to issue a multi Non-O visa. No financial requirements nor thai birth certificate needed cos the child is in the local registry. This applies to most countries in Europe I believe. In SEA Savannakhet and Penang issue multi non-o visas. Savannakhet has no financial requirement. Is there a list for the consulates that require parenthood legitimized? I have never heard of that being a concern for the non-o visa.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You should get your parenthood legalised at some point regardless of any visa benefit.

What is the benefit of this? Theoretically, I can see only legal costs. If his name is in the BC the child has all cleared for inheritance. And all registration in foreign country can be done, regardless.

32 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

What is the benefit of this? Theoretically, I can see only legal costs. If his name is in the BC the child has all cleared for inheritance. And all registration in foreign country can be done, regardless.

If you are not married the mother has all the legal parental rights. If your relationship failed you would have absolutely no legal say in your child's upbringing.

It's not expensive when the mother agrees to you getting parental rights. Depending on the child's age you can get it done at the local Amphoe,  or otherwise at the local court. You can get all the details you need from the Amphoe.

It will be cheap now, and a lot more expensive if you end up in a legal battle for custody etc.

Thanks a lot for the advice from everyone. 

We've just spoken to the local amphur and they require child to be six years old, so another couple years. In the meantime I suppose tourist visas are the best option, or would a single entry non o be any benefit? As I said, aside from some short videos throughout the year, I mainly take around three months at this time of year for Thailand.

I didn't know about the option of showing registration in my home country. That would indeed be a simple option for me, especially since she'll be spending a month or so with me in UK this summer. Do you have any experience of this? 

Thanks again.