Saudi woman, 18, barricades self in Thai hotel to avoid being sent home

webfact

33 minutes ago, buasaard said:

UN can issue a time limited diplomatic passport for the girl. Then she is free to fly to Australia and ask the refugee status.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_laissez-passer

I think she'd better change destination and fly to Europe. I'm afraid Australia would send her to Nauru, or she is different from other refugees?

and where are you from? Australia? 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever destination and airline she eventually boards for...

she needs to be chaperoned by a Govt' or Security offical, for the entore flight!

You never know what might befall her if she is simply plopped alone in that plane!

Next time it won't be the Passport which is taken from her...

Just now, Sheryl said:

A very brave and resourceful young woman. My heart goes out to her. Not many 18 year olds -- let alone 18 year olds from Saudi Arabia and a politically powerful abusive family --  would have the courage and wits to do what she did.

Before I start thinking she is a great kid I need to know more.  how many of here have had 18 year-old teen daughters?  Hell if you take their phone away they say that you are abusing them and not giving them their rights.  Mine told me she was going to call the cops because I grounded her for going to a party and getting drunk.  It really pissed her off when I dialed the police and handed her the phone.

If I am 18 years old and running away from my parents then the last thing I am thinking about is stopping for a couple of days in a strange city with no money no contacts and no idea where or what to do.

All this crap about Thai authorities screwing her is crap.  They did what they have always done, no airline ticket onward, no reservation, no one here to vouch for you and no money SORRY NO VISA.

If her story is true and she was going to Australia (frankly no offense Aussies BUT you would not be my first choice I hear the nightlife in Naura IS NOT THAT GREAT) then she would have had an airline ticket.

When she gave her passport to the Thai authorities they would have done what was required.  Let's face it when have you heard of Thai civil servants using initiative.

There is a solution though that makes sense and can be resolved this week.  Aus's immigration staff interview her, send the paperwork back to home and make a decision on whether she meets the criteria and if they will allow her to land in Sydney and take responsibility for her, if they want her to go to Naura or if they simply refuse.

This is not a Thai issue.  If the answer from immigration is NO then giving her 48 hours to get her crap sorted out and for UNHCR the biggest clowns in the world to find a country that will accept her other than here.

Let's face it Mom and dad have probably canceled the credit cards closed theATM and any other means of financing she had.

Just do not tell me that she is a martyr.

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

whatever destination and airline she eventually boards for...

she needs to be chaperoned by a Govt' or Security offical, for the entore flight!

You never know what might befall her if she is simply plopped alone in that plane!

Next time it won't be the Passport which is taken from her...

Unfortunately I think you are right. She will be targeted for an "honor killing". She needs not only asylum but assistance in establishing a new identity.

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Before I start thinking she is a great kid I need to know more.  how many of here have had 18 year-old teen daughters?  Hell if you take their phone away they say that you are abusing them and not giving them their rights.  Mine told me she was going to call the cops because I grounded her for going to a party and getting drunk.  It really pissed her off when I dialed the police and handed her the phone.

If I am 18 years old and running away from my parents then the last thing I am thinking about is stopping for a couple of days in a strange city with no money no contacts and no idea where or what to do.

All this crap about Thai authorities screwing her is crap.  They did what they have always done, no airline ticket onward, no reservation, no one here to vouch for you and no money SORRY NO VISA.

If her story is true and she was going to Australia (frankly no offense Aussies BUT you would not be my first choice I hear the nightlife in Naura IS NOT THAT GREAT) then she would have had an airline ticket.

When she gave her passport to the Thai authorities they would have done what was required.  Let's face it when have you heard of Thai civil servants using initiative.

There is a solution though that makes sense and can be resolved this week.  Aus's immigration staff interview her, send the paperwork back to home and make a decision on whether she meets the criteria and if they will allow her to land in Sydney and take responsibility for her, if they want her to go to Naura or if they simply refuse.

This is not a Thai issue.  If the answer from immigration is NO then giving her 48 hours to get her crap sorted out and for UNHCR the biggest clowns in the world to find a country that will accept her other than here.

Let's face it Mom and dad have probably canceled the credit cards closed theATM and any other means of financing she had.

Congratulations.

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

It's a very western perspective and likely does not apply in this case, but I agree that the full story is not known, and I suppose this could be a very headstrong girl who may simply be at odds with her family.  There could be a key difference though in the way you treated your daughter. 

53 minutes ago, buasaard said:

UN can issue a time limited diplomatic passport for the girl. Then she is free to fly to Australia and ask the refugee status.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_laissez-passer

I think she'd better change destination and fly to Europe. I'm afraid Australia would send her to Nauru, or she is different from other refugees?

Australia has already offered her asylum, she is unlike all the ones that paid to get there illegally and are there for financial reasons as has been shown time and again when they fly back home once they get their visas issued

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

She had a ticket to Australia. And a visa for Australia.

Her passport was seized by Security staff from Kuwait airlines after she arrived. Nothing to do with not having necessary documentation to enter Thailand. One of her brothers had called the airline while she was in flight.

11 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

mate, you really need to learn to read better, she had a ticket for a connecting flight  to Australia plus a visa, Australia had also offered her asylum. Its the illegals that are sent to Nauru(not "a"), the economic refugees that pay smugglers to get them into the country 

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's a very western perspective and likely does not apply in this case, but I agree that the full story is not known, and I suppose this could be a very headstrong girl who may simply be at odds with her family.  There could be a key difference though in the way you treated your daughter. 

And there is most certainly a very, very key difference in how "headstrong girls" (and people who repudiate Islam) are treated in  Saudi Arabia.

Whatever her initial motivation and whatever the truth of her claims of abuse before she left, she cannot safely go back now, that is certain. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ill informed re Saudi Arabia.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

According to the article in The Sun she did try to enter through Thai Immigration to make a stop over in Thailand, and that was were she was stopped, as she did not had the right documents.

Agree with transit, I was at first also surprised how and why she would be stopped in transit from one plane to another, holding a visa for Australia. But if the story from The Sun is correct that might be the answer.

After Hillsborough wouldn’t trust anything the sun says.

To be honest I thought Saudi citizens could apply for a tourist visa on arrival. 

... and where she comes from; renouncing Islam , means Death and in a very public way!

it was bad enough knowing Malaysians renouncing; who get off 'lightly' with punishment vis the Rotan, and prison.

... each respective islamic country has their own way of dealing with their victims

29 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Are you for real?

If answer is 'yes', then next question - what is wrong with you!?

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

After Hillsborough wouldn’t trust anything the sun says.

To be honest I thought Saudi citizens could apply for a tourist visa on arrival. 

... but she no longer had her Passport in her possession, to be able to have a VOA processed.

It had already been swiped from her.

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

... but she no longer had her Passport in her possession, to be able to have a VOA processed.

It had already been swiped from her.

If it was taken from her at the plane as alleged, I’m not sure how she would have been able to even try to get through immigration into the country. 

However the point is moot, as the Thai authorities initially said she did not meet visa requirements. Nothing was said about her passport. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If it was taken from her at the plane as alleged, I’m not sure how she would have been able to even try to get through immigration into the country. 

However the point is moot, as the Thai authorities initially said she did not meet visa requirements. Nothing was said about her passport. 

She has now been released to a UN representative and Big Joke said she can stay under the protection of Thailand and he will not be sending her back to die.

Good result. ????

39 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Lets just hope there aren't more fathers like you in the West.

In SA your kind of father's stone their own daughters to death. Literally, they tie the woman down, and through stones and rocks, until her scull is crushed, or she bleeds to death. Stoning to death is not easy way to die. 

It takes a special kind of father to do this this to her daughter. Luckily, in the West we laws, you can't just stone someone to death. You can't even beat her, you can't harm her in any way, because she is human being, and we have laws.

I bet if you lived in Saudi, you'd do more take away your 18 year old daughter's phone, an adult, grown woman, but you still feel you are the authority to punish her!

Gawd help all girls on this Earth from such fathers! Fortunately in the West  we have laws. 

You say " she is not a martyr". You sick, sick man!

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

that;s right!... No passport = never going to meet Visa requirements because she already had lost possession the passport...

She has proven to be a very strong young woman with a mind of her own.

I'm surprised that Canada did not enter the picture for asylum. Canada has already proven (unlike Trump) that it is not afraid to stand up to Saudi Arabia.

Wishing her the best.

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

that;s right!... No passport = never going to meet Visa requirements because she already had lost possession the passport...

I’m fairly sure they would have mentioned no passport, if that was the excuse they were going to use to deport this woman. 

The authorities instead went for “did not meet visa requirements”. 

No doubt to cover up their complicity in her passport being seized if, as is alleged, that is what happened. 

37 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And there is most certainly a very, very key difference in how "headstrong girls" (and people who repudiate Islam) are treated in  Saudi Arabia.

Whatever her initial motivation and whatever the truth of her claims of abuse before she left, she cannot safely go back now, that is certain. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ill informed re Saudi Arabia.

Absolutely, whether she is rebellious or not, spinning a yarn or not, there is a world of difference between the treatment of young women in the UK (say) and Saudi Arabia.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

From her own tweets, passport was taken by a Security official (with an Arab name) from Kuwait Airlines.

They probably have 'sleeper agents' on most of their flights, for just such occasions as this!

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Oh, come one, since when have Muslims ever persecuted and killed anybody that did not believe in Islam ? 

In Saudi, the crime of apostasy is punishable by death.  The sentence is rarely carried out but it can.

In Thailand, the death penalty wasn't carried out for almost 10 years, then what happened last year?

Enough said!

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Thailand should not get involved. Send her back to Saudi Arabia and let them deal with it under their laws. 

You do understand that under the legal system used in Saudi Arabia (Shia Law) the crime of apostasy or renouncing Islam (which she has done) is punishable by death, don't you?

Mr. Big Joke being quoted as saying this young Saudi woman will not be sent anywhere against her will. This is looking a lot more promising. Well done all that raised their voices in protest to the treatment she had been receiving.

21 minutes ago, pegman said:

Mr. Big Joke being quoted as saying this young Saudi woman will not be sent anywhere against her will. This is looking a lot more promising. Well done all that raised their voices in protest to the treatment she had been receiving.

Yes , she is now under care of UN, Big Joke made a statement saying Thailand would never sent her to her death.

funny enough UN questioned him why she needed visa when it’s 30 day visa exempt and why Saudi officials were allowed to restricted area of airport to which he of course has failed to provide answers

Archived