Saudi woman, 18, barricades self in Thai hotel to avoid being sent home

webfact

3 hours ago, RickBradford said:

It represents a crime called apostasy, which carries the death penalty in Saudi.

Yet another of the countless benefits to humanity of religion! My deepest sympathies to the young lady. Let's hope someone in the Thai government will show a bit of ethical fortitude on this one!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

‘We Won’t Send Someone To Their Death,’ Thai Immigration Chief Says

By Todd Ruiz, Editor

Screen Shot 2562-01-07 at 16.41.11.png

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun in a still image from a video. Photo: Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun / Human Rights Watch

SAMUT PRAKAN — The head of Thailand’s Immigration Bureau said a Saudi woman who fled her family to seek asylum in Australia will not be forcibly deported.

Speaking at the Bangkok airport where Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun refused to board a flight this morning back to the family she fled, Lt. Gen. Surachate Hakparn said just after 4pm that Thailand has reversed course and will not deport her against her will.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/01/07/we-wont-send-someone-to-their-death-thai-immigration-chief-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-07

16 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Let's hope someone in the Thai government will show a bit of ethical fortitude on this one!

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

‘We Won’t Send Someone To Their Death,’ Thai Immigration Chief Says

BJ to the rescue

3 hours ago, racket said:

Brave girl, I really hope the international community can stand up. But of course, not if you want to loose business relations with the Saudis...

"international community"

This is SOME community, indeed. 

12 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The head of Thailand’s Immigration Bureau said a Saudi woman who fled her family to seek asylum in Australia will not be forcibly deported.

some common sense at last

return her passport and let this adult girl make her own decisions - she is not a child, her relatives/parents have "NO" say in the matter - it is up to her, she done nothing to deserve this treatment 

also she is not a criminal

why has she been detained !!!!

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Death penalty for all apostates.

Public beheading and then the dead body is publicly crucified for days after.

Stupid people!!!!! Culture! Let the girl do whatever she wants!!! She is 18!! And can’t even cut her hair short if she wants to!? We are in 2019 for God Sake!!! Duhhhhhhh!!!!

HRW appeals to Thailand against deporting Saudi teen

By The Nation

329e744eafed8fc041a7886041ee826c-sld.jpeg

Human Rights Watch on Monday called on Thai authorities to immediately halt the planned deportation of a Saudi woman who claimed she was fleeing domestic abuse and feared for their safety if forcibly returned to her home country.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, was detained at Suvarnabhumi Airport during the weekend where she was transiting on her way to Australia.

She initially planned to take asylum in Australia. She, however, sought a meeting with representatives of the UN refugee agency. She was detained in a hotel and refused to leave the room until she could meet UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) officials.

HRW said the authorities should also allow her unrestricted access to make a refugee claim with the Bangkok office of the UNHCR and should respect the UNHCR decision under the agency’s protection mandate.

Al-Qunun, 18, told HRW that she arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok on the evening of Saturday, en route from Kuwait to Australia, but was met by a representative of the Saudi embassy who seized her passport to prevent her from travelling to Australia.

Saudi and Thai officials told her she would be forced to return to Kuwait on the morning of January 7, where her father and brother are awaiting her.

“Saudi women fleeing their families can face severe violence from relatives, deprivation of liberty, and other serious harm if returned against their will,” said Michael Page, HRW’s deputy Middle East director.

“Thai authorities should immediately halt any deportation, and either allow her to continue her travel to Australia or permit her to remain in Thailand to seek protection as a refugee.”

Al-Qunun said she fled while her family was visiting Kuwait, which unlike Saudi Arabia, does not require a male relative’s approval for an adult woman to depart the country.

She said that she was fleeing abuse from her family, including beatings and death threats from her male relatives, who also forced her to remain in her room for six months for cutting her hair.

Al-Qunun began tweeting about her situation at 3.20am Thailand time via a Twitter account she had created in January. In an English-language tweet, she wrote, “I’m the girl who run away from Kuwait to Thailand. I’m in real danger because the Saudi embassy trying to forcing me to go back to Saudi Arabia, while I’m at the airport waiting for my second flight.” 

She also tweeted a video in which she says that Saudi embassy officials had stopped her after arriving in Bangkok. She later posted a copy of her passport. 

She tweeted that she was being held in an airport hotel and that Saudi embassy officials had told her she would be returned to her family in Kuwait later in the morning on Monday.

Al-Qunun told HRW that at around 5pm on Sunday, Thai immigration officers took her from her hotel room and informed her that she could not enter Thailand because her visa was “rejected” and that she must return to Kuwait on January 7. She then returned to her room. However, she had not applied to enter Thailand because her passport was taken, along with her plane ticket to Australia. 

HRW said that al-Qunun may be at serious risk of harm if returned to her family. She also faces possible criminal charges in Saudi Arabia, in violation of her basic rights, for “parental disobedience”, which can result in punishments ranging from being returned to a guardian’s home to imprisonment, and for “harming the reputation of the kingdom” for her public appeals for help.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361755

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-7

She needs to keep making as much noise as possible, she has to keep this in the media and stoke up as much international interest as possible or she will be in a big mess! We all saw what those bastards did to that journalist! Time to put so much focus on Thailand that they dare not send her back. I hope she manages to get what she wants, good luck as she is going to need it stuck here.

2 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

If she has no passport how did she clear immigration then leave the Airport to go to the Hotel ?.. I don’t think she has a visa for Australia that’s why. But I am no expert.

Obviously you can't even properly read the starting post. She didn't clear immigration and she didn't leave the airport

3 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

If she has no passport how did she clear immigration then leave the Airport to go to the Hotel ?.. I don’t think she has a visa for Australia that’s why. But I am no expert.

It says she had a room in the "transit" hotel.

Many airports have hotels on the "air side" for people that don't want to spend 6 or 8 or 12 hours sitting on a plastic seat waiting for their next flight. Some people like to relax, have a snooze, shave/shower/change clothes (or whatever).

It appears that there are 2 Transit Hotels in Suvarnabhumi. Miracle Transit Hotel and Louis' Tavern Day Rooms (both on the 4th floor of the Departures area of the airport).

8 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

One of the benefits of reading the whole thread is something you've missed.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Lt. Gen. Surachate Hakparn said just after 4pm that Thailand has reversed course and will not deport her against her will.

let's see how much petrol Mohamed can send to Thailand.... Kashoggi killing,  Trump said all responsible will be brought to justice, couple billion arms deals with Mohamed and justice is gone

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

It says she had a room in the "transit" hotel.

Many airports have hotels on the "air side" for people that don't want to spend 6 or 8 or 12 hours sitting on a plastic seat waiting for their next flight. Some people like to relax, have a snooze, shave/shower/change clothes (or whatever).

It appears that there are 2 Transit Hotels in Suvarnabhumi. Miracle Transit Hotel and Louis' Tavern Day Rooms (both on the 4th floor of the Departures area of the airport).

used them in the past and that means you are in transit and didn't pass immigration

Thailand halts plan to expel Saudi teen barricaded in her hotel room

by Patpicha Tanakasempipat, Ghaida Ghantous

fdvf.JPG

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, a Saudi woman who claims to be fleeing her country and family, speaks in a room in Bangkok, Thailand, January 6, 2019, in this still image taken from a video obtained from social media. @rahaf84427714/via REUTERS

BANGKOK/DUBAI (Reuters) - Thailand halted plans on Monday to expel an 18-year-old Saudi woman fleeing her family after she barricaded herself inside an airport hotel to prevent immigration officials putting her on a flight to Kuwait.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun has been at Bangkok’s international airport since Saturday when she arrived on a flight from Kuwait. She has said she fears she will be killed if she is returned to her family, which could not be reached for comment on her accusations of abuse.

Thai officials now plan to meet representatives of the U.N. High Commission for Refugees to discuss the case, immigration chief Surachate Hakparn told reporters.

He earlier denied allegations by Qunun that she was being detained at the request of Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry also denied her allegations that its embassy had confiscated her passport, saying in a Tweet she was stopped at the airport for violating Thai immigration laws.

Qunun posted a video on Twitter on Monday of her barricading her hotel door with a table and a mattress.

She told Reuters she fled Kuwait while her family was visiting the Gulf country and had planned to travel from Thailand to Australia to seek asylum. She said she was detained after leaving her plane in Bangkok and told she would be sent back to Kuwait.

“My brothers and family and the Saudi embassy will be waiting for me in Kuwait,” Qunun said by text and voice message from the hotel on Sunday.

“They will kill me,” she said. “My life is in danger. My family threatens to kill me for the most trivial things.”

“I AM OPPRESSED”

Asked why she was seeking refuge in Australia, she said: “Physical, emotional and verbal abuse and being imprisoned inside the house for months. They threaten to kill me and prevent me from continuing my education.

“They won’t let me drive or travel. I am oppressed. I love life and work and I am very ambitious but my family is preventing me from living.”

In her initial social media pleas, Qunun said her family was powerful in Saudi society but she did not identify them.

Saudi culture and guardianship policy requires women to have permission from a male relative to work, travel, marry, and even get some medical treatment. The deeply conservative Muslim country lifted a ban on women drivers last year.

Thai immigration authorities said Qunun was refused entry because she did not have the proper documents.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Bangkok said it was trying to meet Qunun.

“UNHCR consistently advocates that refugees and asylum seekers ... cannot be returned to their countries of origin according to the principle of non-refoulement, which prevents states from expelling or returning persons to a territory where their life or freedom would be threatened,” it said in a statement.

New York-based Human Rights Watch said Thailand should not send Qunun back to her family because she says she faces danger.

Qunun said she had obtained an Australian visa and booked a flight. She said she had planned to spend a few days in Thailand so she would not spark suspicion when she left Kuwait.

“When I landed at the airport, someone came and said he would process the (Thai) visa but he took my passport. He came back with what seemed to be airport security and said that my parents objected and said I must return to Saudi Arabia via Kuwait Airways,” she said.

She said she believed she was stopped after her family appealed to Kuwait Airways. A spokesman for Kuwait Airways said he had no information about the case.

Thai immigration chief Surachate Hakparn said Qunun was denied entry because she did not have a paid return ticket or hotel reservation.

“Thai immigration had to deny her entry,” he said, describing the action as standard procedure.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-1-7

5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

She does not. But Thai authorities should allow her to go to Australian embassy. This is outrageous. I hope UN human rights Asia director intervenes on her behalf and humanity's behalf. Western countries should also start pressuring Thai government. 

UN officials have been denied, be Thailand, any access to her...

55 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

For a start, you need to read the whole saga, Saudi officials forcibly took her passport, at Suvarnabhumi airport, she is now in the Novatel Hotel, in the international rooms, officially has NOT entered Thailand.

I hope the Thai goverment can work with UN, and sort this out. No way deliver this young woman to a destiny unknown. Thailand fighting against trafficing and wrongdoings against minor and women. This is a chanse to stand up and chow the world that they mean business. This is a turning point for not only goverment. But also the people of Thailand.. Do the right thing!

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

She didn't fly from Saudi to Thailand. 

I know that but how could she leave her country alone 

But why Thai police take her passport she doesn't need visa when she travel to Australia 

Surely Saudi government are involved in this 

I hope the best for her 

Archived