Being a doctor knocks teaching off top spot as Thai kids’ dream job: survey

snoop1130

Being a doctor knocks teaching off top spot as Thai kids’ dream job: survey

By The Nation

444.jpeg

Photo from: www.prachatalk.net

The most popular dream job among children this year is that of a doctor, pushing teaching down to second place, according to a survey by Adecco Thailand.

The company asked 2,684 children between seven and 14 years old about their dream job, with being a doctor coming out on top because it is an occupation that offers not just good pay but also opportunities to help others.

With teaching slipping to second from the previous year’s survey, the third most popular dream job is that of a professional athlete, followed by becoming a soldier in fourth place, and e-sport player/game caster coming fifth.

Meanwhile, children’s interest in YouTubers and programmers has increased in the past year, the survey also found.

Such findings are in line with other surveys, which found that 94 per cent of children like watching YouTube and more than 28 per cent love playing computer games. 

When asked about their idols, respondents in Adecco Thailand’s survey named BNK48 – the Thai idol girl group and the third international sister group of Japan’s AKB48. 

Coming next in order of popularity are KayKai Slaider, a famous YouTuber, Zbing Z, a well-known game caster, GOT7, a famous boy band from South Korea, and Krit-ngi, a prominent e-sport player. 

The survey findings have been released ahead of “National Children’s Day”, which will be celebrated nationwide this coming Saturday. 

Adecco Thailand also reported that most respondents wished that their family could live happily for a long, long time, if they could have just one wish fulfilled this year. 

There were also some cute replies. When asked what magical power she wanted to get, one girl wrote that she hoped she could possess Queen Elsa’s icy powers from “Frozen” so that Thailand could be “Yoo Yen” (cold or peaceful), while another kid said he hoped the world would have no more exams. 

When asked about education-reform ideas, respondents said the government should develop the country’s education based on a children-centered approach and develop children based on their interests and expertise. 

They also suggested that the government should increase funds for educational opportunities, place an emphasis on teacher development, and provide IT equipment to schools in need. 

Children, moreover, also hoped that technologies would be integrated into teaching and the learning process in order to make it fun to learn. 

They also expressed a keen interest in e-sports, computers and third languages other than Thai and English.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361795

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-7

How popular was one of Thailand's most popular jobs in real life?

Food Cart Vendor

Benefits:

-  block sidewalks and parking spaces to your heart's content

-  strategize with other food cart vendors on bottlenecking key junctions and protecting turf from other vendors

-  free cooking oil disposal

-  ring annoying bells for added attention, especially if you are selling ice cream

-  when people get fed up, simply roll away

-  no formal education required

-  no income tax

-  potential high income

30 minutes ago, YTP said:

How popular was one of Thailand's most popular jobs in real life?

Food Cart Vendor

Benefits:

-  block sidewalks and parking spaces to your heart's content

-  strategize with other food cart vendors on bottlenecking key junctions and protecting turf from other vendors

-  free cooking oil disposal

-  ring annoying bells for added attention, especially if you are selling ice cream

-  when people get fed up, simply roll away

-  no formal education required

-  no income tax

-  potential high income

Well, yesterday was the twelfth (last) day of Christmas, so I suppose "The Grinch" has to turn to something else...

????

15 minutes ago, surangw said:

does a medical degree from a Thai university   have  much meaning in other countries ?

i guess it depends on the county, my sister emigrated to australia and her degree from a leading uk university was not recognised there. 

How far down the list is becoming a policeman?  Surely fleecing farangs/collecting protection money and roadside banditry beats mixing with sick people + the hours are better - early daily finish; no weekends from Friday lunchtime.

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How far down the list is becoming a policeman?  Surely fleecing farangs/collecting protection money and roadside banditry beats mixing with sick people + the hours are better - early daily finish; no weekends from Friday lunchtime.

Police officer used to be #1 for the school boys 

9 hours ago, surangw said:

does a medical degree from a Thai university   have  much meaning in other countries ?

No, you still have to prove your knowledge in the country of destination, pre-med included. That could be a problem if you went through med school the "thai-way".

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

i guess it depends on the county, my sister emigrated to australia and her degree from a leading uk university was not recognised there. 

Tell me more, what was her BA?

I was speaking to a teacher many years ago from the UK,

I can’t remember his degree but it was something unusual, one that I had never heard of.

I asked why he chose that study.

His reply (it was the easiest course).......he was a very lazy person.

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Tell me more, what was her BA?

I was speaking to a teacher many years ago from the UK,

I can’t remember his degree but it was something unusual, one that I had never heard of.

I asked why he chose that study.

His reply (it was the easiest course).......he was a very lazy person.

The nineties was the hey-day of the 'roll yer own' degree in the UK. All those technical colleges started calling themselves universities and offering roll yer own BA's and BSc's, to no obvious benefit other than to stimulate laughter.

I recall working with a guy in the early nineties, who had such a degree - a BA in 'the music of Abba'.

Apparently, nobody told these yoyo's that you don't raise educational standards in the UK by sending everyone to a university and dishing out degrees in Weeties boxes. 'Áppearance' politics worthy of a 3rd-world country, while those actually in 3rd-world countries, apparently aspire to computer game-playing for a living.

Sometimes I fear for the state of humanity.

The assumption about doctors and wealth is ludicrous. Physicians as a group, in Thailand, are not wealthy. The majority are 'middle class" as physician salaries especially for junior doctors is not high. It is worse in rural areas. This is why  many hospitals cannot attract physicians. The medical personnel who make big money work long hours, have invested large amounts of time and effort and money in their training and have valuable skills.

No one is forcing  any farang to visit an expensive doctor. It's like public transit: Take a taxi or a sangthaew- up to you.

12 hours ago, surangw said:

A medical diploma from Harvard means nothing in Canada.

A medical diploma from an Oxbridge faculty means nothing in the USA.  It's all about where residency was done and passing local state/province exam.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The assumption about doctors and wealth is ludicrous. Physicians as a group, in Thailand, are not wealthy. The majority are 'middle class" as physician salaries especially for junior doctors is not high. It is worse in rural areas. This is why  many hospitals cannot attract physicians. The medical personnel who make big money work long hours, have invested large amounts of time and effort and money in their training and have valuable skills.

No one is forcing  any farang to visit an expensive doctor. It's like public transit: Take a taxi or a sangthaew- up to you.

A medical diploma from Harvard means nothing in Canada.

A medical diploma from an Oxbridge faculty means nothing in the USA.  It's all about where residency was done and passing local state/province exam.

Notwithstanding, I have a friend who returned to the UK with a Master Degree from a prominent Thai university, which he offered up as proof of expertise.

As he left the building, the laughter had still not quietened down. Thai degrees of any ilk are not well regarded in non-3rd-world countries, any more than a degree from Mozambique would be well regarded in Thailand. He was good at what he did too, so it was a bit of a pity.

Was it racist? Probably.

Was it reality? Yep.

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

What! No one wants to be in the police force?

Envelope sizes are relatively small in the RTP when compared to opportunities in other vocations. Such as being a military general, watch collector, politician, judge/magistrate, civil service purchasing executive or even provincial governor. I am surprised Bachelor of Corruption is not an elective at some Thai universities.

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thailand's over-militarism continues

And, what makes it more questionable (and pathetic?) is that the Thai military is all but a joke. The tops generals are -- somehow -- among the world's richest and yet haven't fought anyone -- except the people -- in ages. 

What is their reputation? Do they have a record of even offering stellar assistance during natural disasters like even the Chinese PLA? 

What do they do?! 

LOL

20 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

And, what makes it more questionable (and pathetic?) is that the Thai military is all but a joke. The tops generals are -- somehow -- among the world's richest and yet haven't fought anyone -- except the people -- in ages. 

What is their reputation? Do they have a record of even offering stellar assistance during natural disasters like even the Chinese PLA? 

What do they do?! 

LOL

Not very much. They put their snouts in the public trough quite a lot but apart from that and borrowing expensive watches...

Archived