EU looks at help for May, but will not rework Brexit deal

webfact

EU looks at help for May, but will not rework Brexit deal

2019-01-07T215308Z_2_LYNXNPEF060PS_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Demonstrators hold EU and Union flags during an anti-Brexit protest opposite the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain, December 17, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union is considering ways to help Prime Minister Theresa May convince the British parliament to back the Brexit treaty she agreed with EU leaders last month but ruled out on Monday any change to the deal.

EU sources told Reuters that senior officials in Brussels are discussing whether and how to issue "reassurances" that might help May overcome resistance to the deal before lawmakers vote in London next week.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told CNBC he hoped the EU and United Kingdom could find a way to avoid "negative ramifications from a hard Brexit related not only to commerce and trade, but importantly to the national security issues that we have with the British as well as the European Union."

Among the reassurances EU officials were considering was a request they said May put to fellow EU leaders at a summit before the Christmas break, on Dec. 14, to commit to having a new UK-EU free trade treaty in place by the end of 2021. However, the European Union shows no sign of going beyond an existing aspiration to do that, not a hard promise.

The date is important as it could allow May to assure her own party and others that the unpopular "Irish backstop" in the treaty would not be triggered after a status-quo transition period ends some time by 2022.

The backstop would bind Britain to follow EU rules to avoid a "hard" customs border across the island of Ireland unless a better way is agreed to do that by means of a new trade pact. Critics of May's deal to smooth Britain's passage out of the EU on March 29 say the backstop could leave Britain subject to EU rules indefinitely, long after it gives up any say over them.

EU officials familiar with the discussions said they saw little sign of any shift in the position of EU leaders last month, when they said the agreement could not be renegotiated and they would make no binding commitments that could be construed as altering it.

"We can provide reassurances," one official said. "But whatever it might be will just reiterate the (summit) conclusions from last month."

Among ways in which the EU could offer more detail and clarity on its agreed position, officials said, would be an exchange of legal letters with the British government setting out expectations of when a trade deal could be completed. However, EU leaders are wary of introducing legal ambiguity if the language of any statement differs from the original text.

The EU executive repeated on Monday that leaders would not renegotiate the treaty and said it was pressing on with planning for Britain to crash out of the Union without a deal.

"The deal that is on the table is the best and the only deal possible," the European Commission's chief spokesman Margaritis Schinas told reporters when asked about a phone conversation on Friday between May and Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

"This deal will not be renegotiated."

He also repeated that there were no talks planned between negotiators from the two sides as "negotiations are complete".

Schinas said that Juncker's conversation with May on Friday was "friendly" and that the two would speak again this week. May also spoke last week to EU summit chair Donald Tusk.

(Reporting by Alastair Macdonald and Jan Strupczewski; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-08

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

"This deal will not be renegotiated."

He also repeated that there were no talks planned between negotiators from the two sides as "negotiations are complete".

So there we go. It's over. EU is now actively pushing UK out. Either with May's deal or without a deal. Enough is enough.

I suppose the hardcore brexitters, who used to say "EU needs UK more than UK needs EU" will no longer keep on saying so. I guess they'll say instead "How unfair for a much larger EU to push us out??"

I suppose the hardcore brexitters, who used say "EU tries to keep UK within EU because our monetary contribution" will no longer keep on saying so. I guess they'll say instead "How unfair for a much larger EU to push us out??"

I'm sure hardcore brexitters are able to find something new to complain in no time. Their play is to complain, not to find or offer solutions. 

18 minutes ago, oilinki said:

So there we go. It's over. EU is now actively pushing UK out. Either with May's deal or without a deal. Enough is enough.

Not at all.

The EU will happily accept a decision by the UK to stay.

3 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Not at all.

Not as happily we used to do earlier. UK politicians has burned so many bridges during the past 3 years that UK would need to show real willingness to start rebuilding if it wanted to be accepted by the rest of the EU countries.

37 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I suppose the hardcore brexitters, who used to say "EU needs UK more than UK needs EU" will no longer keep on saying so. I guess they'll say instead "How unfair for a much larger EU to push us out??"

I suppose the hardcore brexitters, who used say "EU tries to keep UK within EU because our monetary contribution" will no longer keep on saying so.

Are you kidding? Of course they will. At least while they are waiting for their next set of slogans.

39 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Not at all.

Actually, yes, I would wholeheartedly agree. But over the last 2+ years we all have witnessed what cancerous elements have grown in the UK and how they operate, with lies, misinformation, manipulation, some even threatening violence and riots if they don’t get it their way. As sad as it is, we must realize that those are a threat to our European democracy and our European Union. As much as I would like the UK to remain, and as much as I feel sorry for the majority of people in the UK who clearly do not belong to that mob, I must admit it is better for the EU to separate from the UK now. Hopefully, the next years outside of the EU can reform and clean up the UK from the cancer that has grown. 

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

So there we go. It's over. EU is now actively pushing UK out

the Eu is playing hard ball to force the easily lead remainers to complain and call for further referendums, leave the Eu was the result of the vote, no good deal, bad deal or no deal, just leave. its up to the school boys at parliament to sort it out, if they can not then just resign from their cushy number. its their responsibility to carry out the will of the people as shown in the result of the largest turn out in a vote for many many years

time for a clean break, The EU is scared stiff of us leaving but tries to make it harder and harder to leave, in the hope that other countries wont follow

How many years left in the EU before it starts to break up anyway

its only the power and money of Germany keeping it together, they keep the money while poorer countries get deeper in debt

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

time for a clean break, The EU is scared stiff of us leaving but tries to make it harder and harder to leave, in the hope that other countries wont follow

How many years left in the EU before it starts to break up anyway

its only the power and money of Germany keeping it together, they keep the money while poorer countries get deeper in debt

Actually EU has offered a helping packet for UK in case of a no-deal brexit. We in EU don't want UK's economy to go in to pieces. It wouldn't benefit anyone in Europe. 

Don't blame EU or Germany for your internal mess. That's all on UK's politics and generally greedy business practises. 

11 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Actually EU has offered a helping packet for UK in case of a no-deal brexit. We in EU don't want UK's economy to go in to pieces. It wouldn't benefit anyone in Europe. 

Don't blame EU or Germany for your internal mess. That's all on UK's politics and generally greedy business practises. 

What a daft post...????

24 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Actually, yes, I would wholeheartedly agree. But over the last 2+ years we all have witnessed what cancerous elements have grown in the UK and how they operate, with lies, misinformation, manipulation, some even threatening violence and riots if they don’t get it their way. As sad as it is, we must realize that those are a threat to our European democracy and our European Union. As much as I would like the UK to remain, and as much as I feel sorry for the majority of people in the UK who clearly do not belong to that mob, I must admit it is better for the EU to separate from the UK now. Hopefully, the next years outside of the EU can reform and clean up the UK from the cancer that has grown. 

You already have 1.3M metastasises 

this is a cut from the OP

"The deal that is on the table is the best and the only deal possible," the European Commission's chief spokesman Margaritis Schinas told reporters when asked about a phone conversation on Friday between May and Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

how on earth are people made up when they expect to be taken seriously after uttering such crap,

this is the same shit the May coughs up, good deal, only deal possible

my god

what kind of politicians and PMs you have in UK

it is boombooming hard to believe that shit like this is served by the PM in one of the large countries in Europe.

Impossible to construct a deal that is different in substance from the one on the table, boomboom off.

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

how on earth are people made up when they expect to be taken seriously after uttering such crap,

this is the same shit the May coughs up, good deal, only deal possible

my god

what kind of politicians and PMs you have in UK

it is boombooming hard to believe that shit like this is served by the PM in one of the large countries in Europe.

Impossible to construct a deal that is different in substance from the one on the table, boomboom off.

This is the only deal UK is going to get. It's the only deal negotiated during the last 2 years. There is no other options, which include other deals, anymore.

This deal followed the red lines set by UK's PM. EU simply worked together with United Kingdom to get this deal done.

It's actually pretty good deal for the UK. Let's also not forget that this is simply the divorce settlement. Temporary measurement. This is not the real economical and political deal, which follows later on and needs to be negotiated during UK's transformation period. 

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

I suppose the hardcore brexitters, who used say "EU tries to keep UK within EU because our monetary contribution" will no longer keep on saying so. I guess they'll say instead "How unfair for a much larger EU to push us out??"

I'm sure hardcore brexitters are able to find something new to complain in no time. Their play is to complain, not to find or offer solutions. 

And if the UK decide, unilaterally to withdraw Article 50, and revert back to everything as before, you'll be crying in your vodka saying how unfair it is.

The EU want the money, need the money, and are scared the UK will simply withdraw Article 50. Notice they never mention that.

Were May not such a weak wussie she'd have done that and either fought a General Election or had another referendum.

The UK is in a mess created by its current crop of worthless dim witted politicians. So bare with us. After all, if not for us you'd be part of the German Reich or Soviet Union!

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

This is the only deal UK is going to get. It's the only deal negotiated during the last 2 years. There is no other options, which include other deals, anymore.

This deal followed the red lines set by UK's PM. EU simply worked together with United Kingdom to get this deal done.

It's actually pretty good deal for the UK. Let's also not forget that this is simply the divorce settlement. Temporary measurement. This is not the real economical and political deal, which follows later on and needs to be negotiated during UK's transformation period. 

If it's a temporary measure, then it should contain agreed timescales, with key milestones, clear dates and actions during the transformation period.

Oh, and any payments from the UK should be in stages, linked to the milestone achievements.

25 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

It's the only deal possible given May's prestated red lines.

We have her xenophobia to blame for getting such a crap deal!

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So presumably you want to see France expelled from the EU due to those Yellow Vest mobs; and the Greeks etc etc etc.

Not into democracy and free speech then.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And if the UK decide, unilaterally to withdraw Article 50, and revert back to everything as before, you'll be crying in your vodka saying how unfair it is.

The EU want the money, need the money, and are scared the UK will simply withdraw Article 50. Notice they never mention that.

Were May not such a weak wussie she'd have done that and either fought a General Election or had another referendum.

The UK is in a mess created by its current crop of worthless dim witted politicians. So bare with us. After all, if not for us you'd be part of the German Reich or Soviet Union!

Someone once said that the easiest way to make sure that UK stays within EU, is to say to UK:

"It's time for you to go now. We don't want you to be part of EU anymore." ????

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If it's a temporary measure, then it should contain agreed timescales, with key milestones, clear dates and actions during the transformation period.

Oh, and any payments from the UK should be in stages, linked to the milestone achievements.

I think we all have seen quite a lot of evidence that UK is not most effective to make decisions by herself. That's the reason why we are no going forward towards no-deal scenario. That's also why EU needs to protect it's member states by not including an end date to the agreement and bind the agreement with results.

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

1 hour ago, transam said:

What a daft post...????

Yes, especially coming from someone who has spent the last few months gleefully predicting the woes he imagines will befall the UK!

27 minutes ago, oilinki said:

whether the deal is good or bad is a matter of taste and preference - people have different views on that

I think the deal is quite simply catastrophic for the UK - but that is just my view

but to say that this deal is the only possible outcome of 2 years of chit chat

just demonstrates severely reduced mental capacity

people who can utter such should be kept miles away from anything to do with UK and EU

if it is so boombooming clear that this is the only possible outcome,

it could have been distilled and calligraphed a year and half ago

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

whether the deal is good or bad is a matter of taste and preference - people have different views on that

I think the deal is quite simply catastrophic for the UK - but that is just my view

but to say that this deal is the only possible outcome of 2 years of chit chat

just demonstrates severely reduced mental capacity

people who can utter such should be kept miles away from anything to do with UK and EU

if it is so boombooming clear that this is the only possible outcome,

it could have been distilled and calligraphed a year and half ago

Time is up. It's now decision time for the UK parliament. UK kept her red lines during the past 2 years of negotiations. The deal follows those lines, what UK wanted.

Whatever UK parliament decides to do, it's fully up to them.

1) May's deal

2) No deal

3) Risk new referendum, which can go both ways

Anyway it's time to do decision and forget extending A50 limeline. 

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Time is up. It's now decision time for the UK parliament. UK kept her red lines during the past 2 years of negotiations. The deal follows those lines, what UK wanted.

Whatever UK parliament decides to do, it's fully up to them.

1) May's deal

2) No deal

3) Risk new referendum, which can go both ways

Anyway it's time to do decision and forget extending A50 limeline. 

fairly unclear to me why direct that tirade to me - but of course - up to you

39 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So presumably you want to see France expelled from the EU due to those Yellow Vest mobs; and the Greeks etc etc etc.

No, it’s enough to lock all those hooligans up (and let the UK leave until they are a trustable partner and functional democracy again). 

39 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not into democracy and free speech then.

Violence and riots, as well as manipulated referendums are the opposite of democracy. Please team up with Trump and Putin if that’s your understanding of democracy. 

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

UK will not go to pieces believe me we have been around too long..

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

Brexiteers should be pleased with the EU's response.  It fuels their hatred for the EU.

Archived