Jump to content

SETV/Tourist Visa in Saigon/HCMC


Recommended Posts

Just arrived in HCMC and heading to the consulate tomorrow to complete a visa application, so I can stay in Thailand for 2 and 1/2 months.

 

Have heard mixed reports about the consulate and it's requirements.

 

I don't have any problems showing bank statement/flights etc - but really unsure what to do about accommodation for half of my stay. I have an ad hoc arrangement at the moment to stay in a friends condo, but I have no way of providing proof of this beyond informal messages

 

Will they definitely ask for accommodation proof? Any advice on what I can show if they do?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Make a reservation at hotel or etc to show for a week or two and then cancel it after you get the visa would be enough.

Little bit of topic, but do they ask for ticket out of Thailand on the savannakhet consulate?

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Traveldude said:

Little bit of topic, but do they ask for ticket out of Thailand on the savannakhet consulate?

Yes they do but it can also be a bus or train ticket out of the country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting in.

 

Handed in application today. Two guys in the queue in front were insisting on showing stuff from their phone screen, the consulate will absolutely only accept printed copies.

 

They were careful to check my name and the dates on all my documents, and also had a long look through my passport stamps (I don't have any SETVs in there, but there are lots of Thai stamps from transit visits I've made over the last 3/4 years.

 

For accommodation proof I managed to get my friend to draft up a contract with an address, dates and my name on it - which were the main things the official was looking for. They were careful to check everything, so my advice, get your paperwork done for HCMC!

Link to post
Share on other sites

And they don't have 12 month extensions based on retirement in Vietnam and they don't provide visa exempt to many countries such as USA. Au, Canada etc etc. I go EVERY month for last 5 yrs. Costs me 25/approval letter + 50/multiple entry 3month. That's $300usd every yr. I can get a business visa after obtaining Vietnam residence card. Cost the same. Guess how you get one. AGENT. Don't carry on about Thai imm and agents etc, its all the same. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And they don't have 12 month extensions based on retirement in Vietnam and they don't provide visa exempt to many countries such as USA. Au, Canada etc etc. I go EVERY month for last 5 yrs. Costs me 25/approval letter + 50/multiple entry 3month. That's $300usd every yr. I can get a business visa after obtaining Vietnam residence card. Cost the same. Guess how you get one. AGENT. Don't carry on about Thai imm and agents etc, its all the same. 

ThaiVisa was created to sort out the complexities (way back in the early 2000s) of the Thai immigration system, and today the number of posts and complexity of the enquiries bears witness to the need for this. There is nothing at all like this for Vietnam. They just don't need it. It's not the same at all.

I don't know what cloud you're sitting on but you seem to have wandered off on your own here and not really responded to anything that I wrote above - except to confirm just how straightforward the immigration process is in Vietnam - nice one!

Edited by robsamui
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

ThaiVisa was created to sort out the complexities (way back in the early 2000s) of the Thai immigration system, and today the number of posts and complexity of the enquiries bears witness to the need for this. There is nothing at all like this for Vietnam. They just don't need it. It's not the same at all.

I don't know what cloud you're sitting on but you seem to have wandered off on your own here and not really responded to anything that I wrote above - except to confirm just how straightforward the immigration process is in Vietnam - nice one!

Exactly the opposite. I'm over 50 use money in bank method. Annual extension a breeze. If I was 45 or younger I would buy an elite visa. I pointed out that I've been to Vietnam over 60 times. I find visa options easier in los. Anyway enough, this tread was about setv from Saigon. My first post was advising the op to have hard copies of flights etc. His post report (appreciated) reaffirming my post. 

What have you contributed to advise a member on procedure for setv obtained in Saigon. Answer:zip

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I go EVERY month for last 5 yrs. Costs me 25/approval letter + 50/multiple entry 3month. That's $300usd every yr.

So, about $50 cheaper than a 1-year ME Visa in Cambodia, or extending a free tourist-entry to the PI for a year - though those don't require border-runs.  That sounds about right.  And, of course, never an issue doing an out/in with any of those 3 - they are happy to see you return.

 

If Thailand would offer the same deal - or even at a slightly higher price - it would be able to take a huge chunk of business from all 3 of the others.  But some faction seems to think it's better to keep "too many farangs" out, regardless of the economic opportunities lost for the Thai people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And they don't have 12 month extensions based on retirement in Vietnam and they don't provide visa exempt to many countries such as USA. Au, Canada etc etc. I go EVERY month for last 5 yrs. Costs me 25/approval letter + 50/multiple entry 3month. That's $300usd every yr. I can get a business visa after obtaining Vietnam residence card. Cost the same. Guess how you get one. AGENT. Don't carry on about Thai imm and agents etc, its all the same. 

No, not yet, but they are considering more visa types this year, retirement visa's being one of them.  I have a Multi-Entry one year tourist Visa, recv'd in Nov 18, it can be extended one year, I am from US.  But rumor is they may discontinue this visa in favor of other visa types - I know people that have 5 & 10 year multiple entry based on Marraige and Kids.  Business permits are easy if you are so inclined. 

Edited by TunnelRat69
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Not yet but are considering it".. Ha

Note USA is only country able to obtain one yr multiple. Also it ain't cheap. Note USA are not visa exempt to Vietnam. Business visas are NOT easy. You use AGENT. Perhaps reminds you of country people bang on about. Goes by name of Los.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
Link to post
Share on other sites

There does seem to be a significant difference between Vietnam and Thailand.  Vietnam estimated international arrivals for 2018 was about 1.3m.  That's way less than Thailand even in the early 90s when I first started working here (Thailand was about 5m per year then).  Since then Thailand's level of international arrivals has risen sharply - not sure what the final 2018 figure was but say at least 35m.

 

More than 35m annual visitors for a country with 69m population does probably change the way the authorities look at things.  Wonder if Vietnam will ever have that type of visitor traffic, and if so, if they may change their policies too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not "visa-exempt" - not a problem.  I was always happy to pay a mere $30 for Hassle Free Entry or per-month stay-extension cost in other countries.  Free is nice, but not necessary.  The service / reliability is what matters most. 

 

Vietnam for USA Citizen:

One year, multiple-entry: $220

Approval Letter: $60 (needed if you don't apply at a Vietnamese consulate in-advance)

Worst case $280 / year for NO Hassle service.  It's a bargain.  But go to a Vietnamese consulate first, and you can skip the "approval-letter" part.  Even the 3-mo version, available to others - not bad, and can skip the approval-letter by going to a consulate.

 

If people want to use agents to bend the rules - up to them.  Just as long as no one has to use an agent to follow the rules, honestly.

Edited by JackThompson
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Misty said:

There does seem to be a significant difference between Vietnam and Thailand.  Vietnam estimated international arrivals for 2018 was about 1.3m.  That's way less than Thailand even in the early 90s when I first started working here (Thailand was about 5m per year then).  Since then Thailand's level of international arrivals has risen sharply - not sure what the final 2018 figure was but say at least 35m.

 

More than 35m annual visitors for a country with 69m population does probably change the way the authorities look at things.  Wonder if Vietnam will ever have that type of visitor traffic, and if so, if they may change their policies too.

Given a huge chunk of that increase is from VOA China, if they were worried about it, they could stop offering free/discounted VOAs - designed to bring in those who are least likely to have much to spend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Given a huge chunk of that increase is from VOA China, if they were worried about it, they could stop offering free/discounted VOAs - designed to bring in those who are least likely to have much to spend.

Strange, I know, but if current policies are an indication of what worries the authorities - it doesn't seem to be VOAs from China, there seems to be more worry about other types of visitors.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...