Jump to content

Phuket declares rabies outbreak zone in Chalong


webfact

Recommended Posts

Phuket declares rabies outbreak zone in Chalong

By The Thaiger

 

c4b37114f0886e4f51e87b1f29757a35.jpeg

 

A district livestock development office in Phuket province has announced a Rabies outbreak zone in the Chalong area yesterday.

 

Sutat Niyomthai, Chief of livestock development officer of Mueang Phuket District, has announced that the Baan Na Yai, Moo 4 village in Tambon Chalong is a designated outbreak zone after a dog tested positive for Rabies.

 

A rabies temporary control zone will run from January 17 to February 16 in a radius around the Moo 4 village in Tambon Chalong:

 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-declares-rabies-outbreak-zone-in-chalong

 
thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-18
Link to post
Share on other sites

"A rabies temporary control zone will run from January 17 to February 16 in a radius around the Moo 4 village in Tambon Chalong" Meaning capturing and killing any stray dogs on sight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phuket officials, Soi Dog rally after dog rabies death

By The Phuket News

 

1547805206_1-org.jpg

The traditional picture of a rabid dog foaming at the mouth and attacking people is not a true picture, Soi Dog Founder John Dalley stressed. Photo: The Phuket News / file

 

PHUKET:-- A rabies quarantine zone has been established across a large section of Phuket as officials work alongside staffers from the Soi Dog Foundation to ensure against an outbreak of rabies.

 

The move follows confirmation that one dog in Moo 4 Chalong had died of the disease.

 

The zone boundaries stretch from Baan Ketho in Moo 7, Kathu in the north, to Baan Bang Khonthi in Moo 5, Rawai, in the south and from Baan Borrae in Moo 6, Wichit in the east to Wat Suwankhirikhet (Wat Karon) in Moo 1, Karon on Phuket’s southern west coast.

 

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-soi-dog-rally-after-dog-rabies-death-70080.php#ZGtf0zTBY77SHWgO.97

 
tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-01-18
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Thailand still so third world.

  Phuket  wants to be international mecca and still has rabies. Sad really really sad.

Until this one case, Phuket was considered the only rabies free province in Thailand. It seems the problem lies with puppy factories in places like Bangkok selling their animals here. Puppies cant be vaccinated until about 12 months old.

 

16 hours ago, george11 said:

"A rabies temporary control zone will run from January 17 to February 16 in a radius around the Moo 4 village in Tambon Chalong" Meaning capturing and killing any stray dogs on sight. 

Rubbish! They're vaccinating dogs.

 

15 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

The authorities are so thick, there are no vacines available on Phuket.

The whole tretment course costs about 80,000.00 Baht for humans.

Ha ha ha, or 555.

Prize for the most bizarre, idiot statement made this year. 

We buy vaccines every year and inject our animals, it's available at any vet. 

80,000 baht to treat a bite victim!  You are a lying fool!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A month long round up and extermination exercise will remove about 1/3rd of the threat............but its a start............dog's or cat's with no collar with rabies tag, off to the incinerator you go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

80,000 baht to treat a bite victim!  You are a lying fool!

People who did not get vaccinated before will need a Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG) treatment for which the cost depends on your bodyweight. Costs will be north of 50,000 baht for an average person. WebMD gives wholesale prices in the US of around $3500 (THB 110,000) for an adult between 134 and 166lbs (HyperRab and Imogam).

 

HOw much do you think it will cost?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Appalling news.

 

Phuket has been rabies free for donkeys' years - so to learn this a.m. that a rabid dog has been found (and that I and my dogs are either in the 'quarantine' zone, or extremely close to it) is horrifying :sad:.

 

Many hours after learning this news, I am still extremely stressed at both the news, and the effect this will have on the lives of my dogs - for at least a month :sad:.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

People who did not get vaccinated before will need a Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG) treatment for which the cost depends on your bodyweight. Costs will be north of 50,000 baht for an average person. WebMD gives wholesale prices in the US of around $3500 (THB 110,000) for an adult between 134 and 166lbs (HyperRab and Imogam).

 

HOw much do you think it will cost?

It costs around 3 to 4000 baht for the set of injections at a Thai government hospital.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

People who did not get vaccinated before will need a Rabies Immune Globulin (RIG) treatment for which the cost depends on your bodyweight. Costs will be north of 50,000 baht for an average person. WebMD gives wholesale prices in the US of around $3500 (THB 110,000) for an adult between 134 and 166lbs (HyperRab and Imogam).

 

HOw much do you think it will cost?

I wouldn't go to America for any medical treatment. As far as health care is concerned that country is still in the dark ages, where health care is only for the rich, and any plan designed to bring affordable care to the population is opposed by nearly all including those it would most help.

Why would you bring up US costs in a discussion about Thailand?

My research indicates it costs anywhere between nil and about 5000 baht depending on who they are and where they get treated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

The authorities are so thick, there are no vacines available on Phuket.

The whole tretment course costs about 80,000.00 Baht for humans.

Ha ha ha, or 555.

Immune Globulin direct to the wound site 12000B at the Bangkok Samui with follow up Rabipur jabs on days 1,3,7,14 & 28 at approx 600B a time whilst I was still in LOS. If I could easily get one by just walking into a small surgery by the pier on Koh Tao, then I think Phuket would be no problem? TBH it was easier to get a jab in Koh Tao than it was to get the 14 & 28 day ones when I was back in the UK!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, lovelomsak said:

Thailand still so third world.

  Phuket  wants to be international mecca and still has rabies. Sad really really sad.

Submitted to help the stupid people.

Rabies map.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, Inepto Cracy said:

The authorities are so thick, there are no vacines available on Phuket.

The whole tretment course costs about 80,000.00 Baht for humans.

Ha ha ha, or 555.

 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, george11 said:

"A rabies temporary control zone will run from January 17 to February 16 in a radius around the Moo 4 village in Tambon Chalong" Meaning capturing and killing any stray dogs on sight. 

 

Its a picture of a door stop, going by the above two posters statements we can definitely consider it their intellectual equal.

Door stop.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I wouldn't go to America for any medical treatment. As far as health care is concerned that country is still in the dark ages, where health care is only for the rich, and any plan designed to bring affordable care to the population is opposed by nearly all including those it would most help.

Why would you bring up US costs in a discussion about Thailand?

My research indicates it costs anywhere between nil and about 5000 baht depending on who they are and where they get treated.

Why bring up US costs?

As an indication of the cost price of the treatment for a private individual without insurance (private or government).

As mentioned the price in Thailand is 50K plus. 

 

Your research indicates the price the patient gets charged. I hope you do understand that this is not the total cost.

The cost is the price the patient gets charged PLUS the amount the government pays.

My mother in law undergoes cancer treatment and is charged about 1200 baht per day of treatment, which is the price for the room she stays in.

I hope you understand that cancer treatment is not actually free and the only costs are 1200 baht for the room.

Same with RIG treatment, the government pays most of it.

 

To get a fair idea what the actual costs are you need to look at the price they charge in a private hospital in Thailand and substract the profit margin.

Don't look at what a government hospital charges otherwise you come to the conclusion that almost every medical treatment costs "30 baht".

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Why bring up US costs?

As an indication of the cost price of the treatment for a private individual without insurance (private or government).

As mentioned the price in Thailand is 50K plus. 

 

Your research indicates the price the patient gets charged. I hope you do understand that this is not the total cost.

The cost is the price the patient gets charged PLUS the amount the government pays.

My mother in law undergoes cancer treatment and is charged about 1200 baht per day of treatment, which is the price for the room she stays in.

I hope you understand that cancer treatment is not actually free and the only costs are 1200 baht for the room.

Same with RIG treatment, the government pays most of it.

 

To get a fair idea what the actual costs are you need to look at the price they charge in a private hospital in Thailand and substract the profit margin.

Don't look at what a government hospital charges otherwise you come to the conclusion that almost every medical treatment costs "30 baht".

What a strange response.

The discussion is about how much an individual in Thailand pays to get treated after an animal bite.  It is nothing like 50 or 80,000 baht!

To continually go on about prices or costs (you use both terms) in America where health care is just another big profit making business, is nonsensical. 

Try to understand the geographical location of the subject of this thread, and that the discussion is about how much victims here pay for treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, beechbum said:

Submitted to help the stupid people.

Rabies map.png

 

And for the really stupid who believe Phuket is the hub of rabies in Thailand here is a diagram showing where recorded cases were in 2017/18.

rabies.png

 

More reason to stay away from Issan and Bangkok!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

A month long round up and extermination exercise will remove about 1/3rd of the threat............but its a start............dog's or cat's with no collar with rabies tag, off to the incinerator you go.

You can lead the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

A month long round up and extermination exercise will remove about 1/3rd of the threat............but its a start............dog's or cat's with no collar with rabies tag, off to the incinerator you go.

Idiots often put collars on soi dogs to save them from the dog catchers. They also feed them thinking they are making a merit and being all compassionate when actually they are perpetuating suffering and allowing more strays to be bred. Land of smiles but few brains cells.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, Old Croc said:

Until this one case, Phuket was considered the only rabies free province in Thailand. It seems the problem lies with puppy factories in places like Bangkok selling their animals here. Puppies cant be vaccinated until about 12 months old.

 

You are so very right. Rabies on the island of Phuket is a man made crisis. Irresponsible greedy, selfish idiots who breed animals, and the mental cripples who purchase them are solely responsible for this mess. Until these evil dangerous people are stopped, we will see rabies epidemics continue. I truly believe that the focus of on death culls of soi dogs is shortsighted.  Cull the filth  who  breed the animals. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You can lead the way.

I have, but in a time long ago  Sattahip 1974 - I was in the army back then ands we had an active extermination program on Vayama Camp and Same San.  Worked too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2019 at 2:09 AM, Old Croc said:

Until this one case, Phuket was considered the only rabies free province in Thailand. It seems the problem lies with puppy factories in places like Bangkok selling their animals here. Puppies cant be vaccinated until about 12 months old.

 

Rubbish! They're vaccinating dogs.

 

Prize for the most bizarre, idiot statement made this year. 

We buy vaccines every year and inject our animals, it's available at any vet. 

80,000 baht to treat a bite victim!  You are a lying fool!

 Was bitten by a dog, had 4 or five shots at a local clinic. Total cost: 2500 baht.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds about the same as my experience (about 600B a shot in a local clinic), only without the initial Immune Globulin (12000B) into the wound site.  It was recommended but optional, so I only had it because I was comprehensively insured and wasn't paying myself.  That was the Bangkok Samui too which is about the most expensive hospital on Samui so I would expect a local hospital to be way cheaper?  Old Croc, I am sorry but you are way off the mark with 50000B, as there are 2 of us here with personal experience of this issue and by the look of it we both lived to tell the tale? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Sounds about the same as my experience (about 600B a shot in a local clinic), only without the initial Immune Globulin (12000B) into the wound site.  It was recommended but optional, so I only had it because I was comprehensively insured and wasn't paying myself.  That was the Bangkok Samui too which is about the most expensive hospital on Samui so I would expect a local hospital to be way cheaper?  Old Croc, I am sorry but you are way off the mark with 50000B, as there are 2 of us here with personal experience of this issue and by the look of it we both lived to tell the tale? 

I think you confused me with the 2 guys who said the cost was 80000 and 50000 respectively. I stated a completely different opinion.

Perhaps the virus has lasting effects on comprehension?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, lovelomsak said:

Thailand still so third world.

  Phuket  wants to be international mecca and still has rabies. Sad really really sad.

Thats all of Asia, (Russia to the Ukraine), except, Malaysia, Japan and South Korea. Traveling locally, you might think about vaccinations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...