Thai Wife Now In Us On K-1 And Want To Visit Canada

My Thai wife came to the US on a K-1 Visa in Dec 06. We plan to do some traveling this summer and are considering Canada. We have applied for perminant residence but it looks like that process takes about 6 months anyone have any experence with this.

The K1 visa is not a multiple entry visa for the USA. It allows only one entry. Once you marry, and submit your paperwork (and remember it must be withing 90 days, no exceptions), you will then have applied for permanent residence.

Once you get the receipt you can ask for a exit thing (forget the name) it cost about $150 and many times it is not granted.

When my Thai wife came this was at the end of the Mexican Illegal Alien fiasco (Remember a one time deal never to be offered again by the government). Well it took over 3 years to get her green card. We did get permission to leave the USA 2 times, each time paying the fee, and getting the document.

If you leave the USA you most likely will not be allowed to re-enter.

The exit thing is called an 'Advance Parole' or a 'Travel Document'.

Search the web for 'How Do I Get A Travel Document?'

or

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

It should tell you that you will need to fill out an I-131 and pay money. You will have to have other forms for re-entry.

Your wife should be a conditional resident as you have been married less than 2 years. The link should provide the info you need.

Good luck.

Edited by SawWow