Wall removal - ceiling needs to replace or how to prevent damage?

ElephantEgo

Do you have any pics?  Are the walls gypsum or brick?  It could depend on how the builders built the ceiling originally, if they installed the whole ceiling first and added the walls after which is normally done with gypsum walls its a easy patch job.  Otherwise it could be supporting the ceiling and as the above poster mention you need to brace it and cut the ceiling back to the last furring chanel at 50% you may need to add a few extra furring chanels so you can support if neccasary. If your builders arent skilled you may see the patch job.

Also you need to check if they are load bearing.

Edited by BigT73

Is this a DIY?  If so, you will need to know how the ceiling is constructed.  If the typical hanging and using gypsum board, you will probably want to cut the ceiling at the first runner from the wall on both sides.  That's if the runners are parallel to the wall.  Otherwise, maybe cut 20 cm from the wall to allow for removal.  After the wall is removed, you will need to fit new board to the gap, tape, prime, and paint.

If not DIY, ask the contractor what his plan is and decide from there.

If you are removing "a few" walls, start by checking whether the ceilngs either side are all exactly the same height (doubtful).

If they are not the same height you will never patch them together successfully - it would be better (maybe even easier) taking down the ceilings and getting a better result.

IMHO

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for this advice.

This is not DIY but the contractor said he was not sure how much damage it will cause in the ceiling. Which is why I am looking into the best way forward to make sure he is aware of the options.

As @Chickenlegs warned, yes some ceiling is indeed a different height.

So now my question becomes: how to best patch the ceiling at different heights without remaking the whole ceiling?

I quickly found one article about it, but seriously doubt I could get the builder to understand this (doesn't speak English, many technical terms). https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/interiors/q-a-drop-ceiling-elevation-change_o

Again, I think the best method will be to cut the ceiling away from the wall such that it will not be damaged when the wall is removed.  If the height difference is not much, patching at an angle between the cuts will probably not even be noticeable.  Your contractor would probably like to replace the ceiling as it would be an extra job/income but patching does not need rocket science to work out and still look OK.

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

If you are removing "a few" walls, start by checking whether the ceilngs either side are all exactly the same height (doubtful).

If they are not the same height you will never patch them together successfully - it would be better (maybe even easier) taking down the ceilings and getting a better result.

IMHO

Good shout,..