Motorcycle messenger gets one-month detention for knocking down schoolgirl

snoop1130

Motorcycle messenger gets one-month detention for knocking down schoolgirl

By The Nation

8b163da9edd85efe01cfda0dce8f4560.jpeg

A motorcyclist messenger who knocked down a 16-year-old student at a bus-stop in Bangkok last November was on Wednesday sentenced to a one-month detention without suspension by the Northern Phra Nakhon Sub-District Court.

The judge found Puwadol Srisamrong, 23, guilty of reckless driving causing injury, and initially ordered a two-month imprisonment before halving the sentence as he had made a useful confession. The judge then changed the imprisonment to a one-month period in a detention facility rather than a regular prison, on the grounds that Powadol had no previous criminal record.

On November 26, 2018, while driving his motorcycle on a footpath, Powadol knocked down a 16-year-old Bodindecha 3 School student who was waiting at a bus stop on the outbound lane of Lat Phrao Road in Bangkok’s Wang Thong Lang district.

The judge chose not to suspend the imprisonment term, citing that the defendant had been riding at speed on a pedestrian footpath to avoid traffic jams for his personal gain and without any regard for the safety of others. His actions had also led to the injury of the damaged person, the judge explained. 

The accident at the bus stop near the mouth of Soi Lat Phrao 69 had caused the unnamed secondary schoolgirl a hip injury and abrasions to both her legs.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362796

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-23

makes one wish he could sidewalk everywhere, with a shopping trolley/cart!

amazing how 'randomlike' a trolley can suddenly slip/wander sideways and clip a wayward motorcycle...

probably work just as well as an accompanyment for perambulating pedestrian crossovers at the lights!

36 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

I shout at the idiots on motorbikes riding on Footpath and get back either a laugh or blank look! And police do nothing even when they witness this! A country with no respect for others or the law !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You spot on 

This me first generation is out of control and police with this nice slogan protect and serve is just a scam for making money of tourists 

He only got  one month that is a joke and Thailand damages their own reputation 

11 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

As long as you’re Thai you’re pretty much allowed to do whatever you want in this outlaw country, how messed up is that ?! The long I live here then less I like these savages ????

Then its time to get out.

I don't see how this is an example of them doing what they like the guy got punished for his crime.

5 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And after that month he'll be out again, with even more rage towards the pedestrians blocking their motorbike highway...

Yep, no change whatsoever since they’re lacking of education, training and manners, simply don’t  know any better and  as far as I’m concerned they couldn’t care less about what we think of this jungle..

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then its time to get out.

I don't see how this is an example of them doing what they like the guy got punished for his crime.

They’re way to lineant and forgiving toward their own people, helloo turn the lights on will you ?

Just imagine if a non thai would have run over a pedestrian ?!!! 

Just now, Ramdas said:

They’re way to lineant and forgiving toward their own people, helloo turn the lights on will you ?

Just imagine if a non thai would have run over a pedestrian ?!!! 

I find this a good punishment and they should keep it up. If they really keep it up (and that is the problem lack of enforcement) things would change.

You feel so discriminated why don't you leave, i really don't get it foreigners who hate it here but stay here anyway. If i start to hate it here id leave and find an other place. 

Yes sometimes Thais get less punishment then foreigners.. sometimes not. I can still remember being stopped by the police with a lot of Thais for a traffic violation (i was guilty) but I was send away as they did not want to talk in English. The Thais all got fines. 

But at times they do throw the book at foreigners, and i feel that is not wrong at all if you break the law like riding on pavement and hit someone you should be punished. Thai and foreigners. Its bad that it would apply to foreigners more then Thais but even so just don't ride on the pavement and you don't have that kind of problem.

From the OP " The judge chose not to suspend the imprisonment term, citing that the defendant had been riding at speed on a pedestrian footpath to avoid traffic jams for his personal gain and without any regard for the safety of others. His actions had also led to the injury of the damaged person, the judge explained. " 

I wonder what the judge would have decided had the defendant been the wealthy driver of an 'exotic, imported sports car' and the result of his actions had led to a death?

15 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

I shout at the idiots on motorbikes riding on Footpath and get back either a laugh or blank look! And police do nothing even when they witness this! A country with no respect for others or the law !

I have stopped two in the last four months in Bangkok and forced them to go on to the road, the pavement at these points were far too narrow for them to try and ride past me.

33 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

I wonder what the judge would have decided had the defendant been the wealthy driver of an 'exotic, imported sports car' and the result of his actions had led to a death?

Or had the driver been a young girl with no driving licence that ran into a van and killed nine people whilst she was using her phone 

15 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

I find it is a waste of time as it is the majority of the thai people. When I walk on the side walk if any near me. I find that they do not care and I seen this behavior being done in front of the cops or in front of the police hub spots. They only care when someone gets hurt by these actions temporarily lol

13 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

I find it is a waste of time as it is the majority of the thai people. When I walk on the side walk if any near me. I find that they do not care and I seen this behavior being done in front of the cops or in front of the police hub spots. They only care when someone gets hurt by these actions temporarily lol

Then its a perfect example of foreigners having to accept it as its Thais who seem to accept it and its their country. I don't like it but just accept how things are in Thailand. Its their country their rules.

The moment I feel it gets to me and deprives me of happiness in life I am out of this country finding an other place. But this ranks low on my scale of bad Thai things.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

True but here we got an example of a guy finally getting punished and again we got people moaning.

But he is not getting punished enough, how many motorbikes are going to stop riding on the sidewalk because of this morons punishment? Exactly none. If he was jailed for a year and heavily fined, and the next one caught, the same, and so on.

The sidewalks would then soon be free of these morons, if only the police and the courts would do their jobs.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But he is not getting punished enough, how many motorbikes are going to stop riding on the sidewalk because of this morons punishment? Exactly none. If he was jailed for a year and heavily fined, and the next one caught, the same, and so on.

The sidewalks would then soon be free of these morons, if only the police and the courts would do their jobs.

Then you and I disagree, i think the punishment a month confined is more then enough. Car drivers and others who do far more dangerous things and wound far more people don't get these punishments. So why should this guy get a punishment many times more then what others get just because you want to set an example.

This is enough punishment and if they punished everyone like this the streets would be safe. The problem is not the punishment but the lack of police checks. If all motorbikes would get punished even less as this guy it would be over soon.

You can put in huge punishment but without the police enforcing it nothing will happen.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then you and I disagree, i think the punishment a month confined is more then enough. Car drivers and others who do far more dangerous things and wound far more people don't get these punishments. So why should this guy get a punishment many times more then what others get just because you want to set an example.

This is enough punishment and if they punished everyone like this the streets would be safe. The problem is not the punishment but the lack of police checks. If all motorbikes would get punished even less as this guy it would be over soon.

You can put in huge punishment but without the police enforcing it nothing will happen.

I do agree with most of your post Rob, but one month in jail is not enough for what that moron did to the young girl.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I do agree with most of your post Rob, but one month in jail is not enough for what that moron did to the young girl.

Maybe not, but look at it compared to what other car / bus / van drivers get when they kill or wound others. You never see those guys going to jail so this is already for Thai laws quite severe. 

That is my take on it, how long do people go to jail in the UK if they wound someone ?

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I find this a good punishment and they should keep it up. If they really keep it up (and that is the problem lack of enforcement) things would change.

You feel so discriminated why don't you leave, i really don't get it foreigners who hate it here but stay here anyway. If i start to hate it here id leave and find an other place. 

Yes sometimes Thais get less punishment then foreigners.. sometimes not. I can still remember being stopped by the police with a lot of Thais for a traffic violation (i was guilty) but I was send away as they did not want to talk in English. The Thais all got fines. 

But at times they do throw the book at foreigners, and i feel that is not wrong at all if you break the law like riding on pavement and hit someone you should be punished. Thai and foreigners. Its bad that it would apply to foreigners more then Thais but even so just don't ride on the pavement and you don't have that kind of problem.

Discriminated against, made to feel unwelcome, unsafe. Constantly repeated day after day. 

If something bothers people so much why not do something about it? We moved to Thailand the escape the oppression of our own countries yet we demand more and more control once we are here. 

Gotta take the good with the bad I say 

Archived